Hacking Force Docked mode in portable ?

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes exactly, and according to Anandtech the power draw is actually only about 20% higher while playing Zelda (8.9 watts portable vs 11 watts docked), so even on the stock battery it's shouldn't be a massive difference, Say 2.0-2.5 instead of 3 Hours.

Isn't the one thing people are missing is that the screen is off when docked having the display output by an external device whereas when undocked the screen is in use using more power. Not sure how much a difference that makes but it seems to have not been mentioned yet, unless I missed it.

stewacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm hoping for this as well, although it'll be seen whether the best approach is to force the docked-mode output to the internal screen, or to overclock the portable mode to docked-mode speed. A slight CPU overclock in both modes might help performance without greatly impacting heat/draw as well.

Centerlord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the one thing people are missing is that the screen is off when docked having the display output by an external device whereas when undocked the screen is in use using more power. Not sure how much a difference that makes but it seems to have not been mentioned yet, unless I missed it.
Yes, the screen is using power but the console won't charge the joy-cons in portable and doesn't have to power the USB ports or HDMI , so this should almost make it break even.

Last edited by Centerlord,

Chipidy

Trophies
Website
www.chipidychipgaming.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yes exactly, and according to Anandtech the power draw is actually only about 20% higher while playing Zelda (8.9 watts portable vs 11 watts docked), so even on the stock battery it's shouldn't be a massive difference, Say 2.0-2.5 instead of 3 Hours.
We will see what can come of it, if at all possible. Love the idea though

Migoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would give me a reason to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 again and more games with dynamic resolution.

Last edited by Migoma,
D

Deleted User

This would give me a reason to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 again and more games with dynamic resloureso.
same xeno looks a bit... To put it nicely, a bit off.
Ok in reality, portable xenoblade 2 looks like ass. I can't deny it. I mean, is it nice it's on the switch? Absolutely. And should I expect better graphics while in handheld mode? maybe. Do I have a good point to be upset about a handheld not pumping the graphics I want? Not really.

Last edited by ,

SleepSmasher

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Resurrecting this thread to ask about this again. Crash Nitro is awesome and looks amazing on docked mode besides the 720p output, and although it looks good enough on Portable (420p), it definitely doesn’t shine. Watching some gameplay videos of Switch docked on YouTube while in portable mode made me realise how clean and beautiful the game would be if it could run at 720p in portable as well.

Any homebrew on the horizon (no pun intended) that could give us such option? Overclocking alone doesn’t do much, the Switch has to be tricked it’s in docked mode. This would make so many games look amazing in handheld mode.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Resurrecting this thread to ask about this again. Crash Nitro is awesome and looks amazing on docked mode besides the 720p output, and although it looks good enough on Portable (420p), it definitely doesn’t shine. Watching some gameplay videos of Switch docked on YouTube while in portable mode made me realise how clean and beautiful the game would be if it could run at 720p in portable as well.

Any homebrew on the horizon (no pun intended) that could give us such option? Overclocking alone doesn’t do much, the Switch has to be tricked it’s in docked mode. This would make so many games look amazing in handheld mode.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/reversenx-flag-your-console-as-handheld-or-docked.543625/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/crash-team-racing-720p-handheld-patch.541580/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...