Homebrew Following a guide to add Emulators/covers to Wiiflow ---> Please help!

CobraStr1ke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://sites.google.com/site/wiiflowiki4/

I tried to follow this ^ guide and seem to have got everything up for a Genesis emulator added to Wiiflow.

I added Sonic 2 and can see it/ launch it etc BUT cannot figure out how to make the cover show up. I looked in the ini and added the cover to where it says, renamed it as well so it is Sonic The Hedgehog 2.bin.png how the tutorial says to, but no luck.

Also, before I go further...is it possible to replace the genplusgx-mod7.dol with the latest genplus-gx dol so it is up to date (the one that came with the plugins pack I believe is 1.7.3) and I was wondering if I use this method for covers etc could I actually get it up to the latest 1.7.4 I believe it is? Thank you very much to anyone that can help me!

Again, I got the game to show up and launch...cannot figure out how to add a cover though ) =

Basically I am trying to get it to something like this with the latest cores etc...

Last edited by CobraStr1ke,

Leezus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't used this myself nor have I seen the tutorial, but try renaming the png file without the bin. As in, "Sonic the Hedgehog 2.png" instead of "Sonic the Hedgehog 2.bin.png" and see if that works.

As for the dol, I don't know

CobraStr1ke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already tried it ) = and it did not seem to work.

I sorted out the dol question I had. I just edited the ini to have the latest Gen core from retroarch and placed it into the plugins folder. It now use 1.7.4 when launching but I still cant get the cover to show up. If anyone can help please let me know. Thank you!

Askot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I use wiiflow too, a little tricky, but awesome for emulator front end, anyway, post your genplus.ini or plugin name file, so I can try to help you.

CobraStr1ke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it looks very awesome for emulators! Thanks in advance too Askot, very much appreciated for trying to help me sort this out.

[PLUGIN]
magic=53454741
coverColor=000000
coverFolder=genplus/covers
fileTypes=.gen|.md|.smd|.sms|.gg|.sg|.zip|.iso|.bin
romDir=genplus/roms
dolFile=genesis_plus_gx_libretro_wii.dol
bannerSound=sega.ogg
displayname=GenPlusGX
consoleCoverID=sega
arguments={device}:/{path}/|{name}|{loader}

Again, I attempted one Genesis game before I went for more so I could make sure it works. I got the game to show up, can launch it, and even replaced the dol to point to the newest Gen 1.7.4 that is provided with retroarch and everything works. I just cant seem to get the cover sorted out.

*Edit ---> Also, I was using the Sonic 2 cover from Mastershoes sticky: Genesis - MegaDrive 3D Box Art Tabs (969) (No-Intro)

+ tried to rename it to match the rom name exactly and no go.

Askot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You must put your covers in: if it's 3D in wiiflow/boxcovers/genplus/covers according to your option coverFolder=genplus/covers else if it's 2D covers must go in wiiflow/covers/genplus/covers.

Hope this helps!

CobraStr1ke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm....still not showing up for me...lol.

Askot, can you tell me for example where a cover is located that you have set up and what it is named. Possibly even post your ini like i did so I can compare or try and see whats going on here...thank you for any help!

CobraStr1ke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took a break but am back at it and wanted to try and figure out what is going on. I deleted the wiiflow install and started from scratch using the WiiFlow_v4.2.3_Nintendont_MasterMod_Pack_Full install. I just installed the apps/wiiflow and also placed the WiiFlow folder it comes with on the root (all plugins etc included with the pack) loaded it up and never edited any ini. I just left it stock and placed my 3d boxart picture of sonic 2 in wiiflow/boxcovers/genplus/covers.....game still loads fine, and shows the stock Genesis boxart, still nothing for the actual boxart though. I know this is an easy step, lol, but if anyone can help me that would be great.

Askot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Here's my ini file for retroarch genplus gx:

Code:
[PLUGIN]
magic=5247456E
coverColor=000000
coverFolder=gen
fileTypes=.md|.smd|.bin|.gen|.zip|
romDir=media/games/roms/console/genesis
dolFile=retroarch-wii/genesis_plus_gx_md.dol
bannerSound=sounds/Sega_Genesis.ogg
displayname=Sega Genesis
consoleCoverID=sega
arguments={device}:/{path}/|{name}

USB is {device}, {path} is media/games/roms/console/genesis
coverFolder is usb:/wiiflow/boxcovers/gen it tries to find gen folder from wiiflow/boxcover path, if you get file Sonic.smd, then cover must be put into wiiflow/boxcovers/gen/Sonic.smd.png, to be displayed on wiiflow

CobraStr1ke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the coverFolder is supposed to be wiiflow/boxcovers/genplus and not just gen...

I dont know....I still cant get the covers to show.

I am starting to think it isnt me and this Wiiflow is actually messed up...I see several people saying no matter what Genesis wont show up...I see a comment on a video on youtube saying the same thing about the master pack.

Thank you for trying to help me bud. If anyone can help me set this up on a sd card, with one genesis game showing the cover I could go from there.

Askot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I thought the coverFolder is supposed to be wiiflow/boxcovers/genplus and not just gen...
You can name it however you like, It's easier to me to name it "gen"

You can do it and don't give up!! I'm going to help you, which version of wiiflow are you using? I'm using rev 1076, lastest from google code.

Is source menu configured?

Last edited by Askot,

CobraStr1ke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using WiiFlow_v4.2.3_Nintendont_MasterMod_Pack_Full off the official site.

I just tried NES FCEUGX and got it to work in like 30 seconds with a Contra cover and the game boots fine.

Something is up with Genesis I am assuming and I have seen other people on the internet comment on it as well. There must be a way to get it to work obviously...weird.

I believe this one is 1076 as well. I can double check but I know I also did the update through the menu and this was after a fresh install of the masterpack ^

Askot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If I remember right, try renaming genesis .bin extension to .smd, I think that may be causing that issue.

CobraStr1ke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember right, try renaming genesis .bin extension to .smd, I think that may be causing that issue.
Ok awesome. It is worth a try. At least it will be another possibility I can count out if it doesn't work.

Nope, I tried your suggestion with Gunstar Heroes and it shows a sega mega drive stock cover instead of the other stock cover it was showing for genesis with sonic on the cover.'

I also checked and it looks like I am using the 1054 Master mod.

CobraStr1ke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Askot, I assume you have Genesis working on your end. Would you mind just linking me to the version of Wiiflow you are using? Thanks again for trying to sort this out for me.

CobraStr1ke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sorted the Genesis issue out...thank you soo much to everyone who tried to help and your patience. It was a renaming issue as I noticed when starting over with NES and SNES then to Genesis again. For anyone out there that may have a issue with covers not showing up or renaming them...use FuzzyRenameEXT.

Worst case scenario...manually rename the cover file for example to:

Demon's Crest.smc

----> as long as the rom file is named Demon's Crest.

Are the slim versions for covers better to use than the standard? I was curious if they show up clearer or what the reason was that there is a standard and slim. Thanks again

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are the slim versions for covers better to use than the standard? I was curious if they show up clearer or what the reason was that there is a standard and slim. Thanks again
You should be seeing the edge of the spine on the front and back covers of each game with the standard sized ones, mastershoes has them in for other emulators (PC especially with Hyperspin), as well as to tie in with the sizes over at thecoverproject.net. Shrunken spines fit better using wiiflow.
Good to hear you got Genesis covers working finally! ;)

Reactions: CobraStr1ke

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol