Hacking FlashMe, PassMe etc related noob questions

Themanhunt

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Final warning; if you don't like noobs, I recommend you leave.

Ok. I have a few questions about FlashMe PassMe and all that goodness...

1. What is the purpose of FlashMe?
2. What is the purpose of PassMe?
3. What's the difference?
4. Is it essential when using a 3rd party flash cart?

In general I don't understand FlashMe or PassMe or anything related to them..I have read all topics to do with them on this sub forum, as well as looking at a few Wikipedia pages but I cannot understand the purpose of them.

If someone could just explain that to me, that would be great...i'm at a loss here i'm afraid...

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FlashMe is DS booting software that optionally gets rid of the Health and Safety screen and protects DS' from DS Bricker. It also allows for Homebrew to be booted from the slot 2 and download Homebrew as well (with the correct software)

PassMe is an older DS boot software that exploited a flaw in the DS' firmware, though it only works with early DS firmwares.

Neither are required to boot SLOT-1 devices.

Themanhunt

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh ok. I have a DS "Phat" that shows double dark green when I removed the game cart during Pictochat, does this imply version 5 firmware?

Does FlashMe work with that?

Edit:

Also, I read the guide on installing FlashMe - a Slot-1 and Slot-2 cart were inserted, do these have to be specific carts?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It is not advised to use slot-2 flash cards anymore, seeing as slot-1 cards are dirt cheap and better supported. A card like the Acekard 2i or an R4 clone that can run Wood R4 can be bought for less than $10 and work with practically all homebrew and most commercial games as well, and are well updated for the latest releases. A more expensive card such as the Supercard DS Two includes an extra CPU and RAM allowing it to run GBA games direct from the flashcard, as well as playing a wide variety of media formats and having a better SNES emulator than is otherwise possible.

Seeing as slot-1 cards have a built-in "NoPass" (a progression of sorts of the PassMe), there is no need for PassMe or FlashMe. Simply buy one of these cards, insert and enjoy.

Themanhunt

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SifJar said:
It is not advised to use slot-2 flash cards anymore, seeing as slot-1 cards are dirt cheap and better supported. A card like the Acekard 2i or an R4 clone that can run Wood R4 can be bought for less than $10 and work with practically all homebrew and most commercial games as well, and are well updated for the latest releases. A more expensive card such as the Supercard DS Two includes an extra CPU and RAM allowing it to run GBA games direct from the flashcard, as well as playing a wide variety of media formats and having a better SNES emulator than is otherwise possible.

Seeing as slot-1 cards have a built-in "NoPass" (a progression of sorts of the PassMe), there is no need for PassMe or FlashMe. Simply buy one of these cards, insert and enjoy.

Pretty much clears it up for me, thanks a bunch. Got a 2i coming soon, so was just a tad unsure.

Thanks again for the quick replies!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No problem, with the 2i all you need to do is download AKAIO, set it up on your micro SD card and stick it in the DS. Plug 'n' play
wink.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:

Not advised? How would one play GBA games in a native environment, then?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
machomuu said:
SifJar said:

Considering he was asking about FlashMe and PassMe, required only for running DS mode stuff from a slot-2 card, I was assuming he did not wish to use GBA games. Regardless, if he did, he would still not need FlashMe or PassMe, seeing as they can be played natively from a slot-2 card.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
machomuu said:
SifJar said:

Considering he was asking about FlashMe and PassMe, required only for running DS mode stuff from a slot-2 card, I was assuming he did not wish to use GBA games. Regardless, if he did, he would still not need FlashMe or PassMe, seeing as they can be played natively from a slot-2 card.
Oh, I thought yo meant overall
tongue.gif
Nevermind, then.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nah, I just meant for DS-mode stuff.

For GBA-mode stuff, a slot-2 flashcard is grand if you can find one, or an EZ Flash 3-in-1 in combination with a slot-1 card and GBA ExpLoader, which I think is slightly easier to find, and has the bonus of being a RAM extension for those DS homebrews that can use it.

Themanhunt

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slightly changing the topic, but I was looking into running GBA games on a DSi. I realise the DSTWO can do this, but what would be the most cost effective method?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Themanhunt said:
Slightly changing the topic, but I was looking into running GBA games on a DSi. I realise the DSTWO can do this, but what would be the most cost effective method?
The DSTWO. Though for the best GBA capabilities an AK2i or AK2.1 with an EZ IV 3-in-1 (I think that's what it is) is the best, yet a bit expensive.

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
machomuu said:
Themanhunt said:
The DSTWO. Though for the best GBA capabilities an AK2i or AK2.1 with an EZ IV 3-in-1 (I think that's what it is) is the best, yet a bit expensive.
He said for DSi. So the DSTWO is his only option.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The_Dragons_Master_F said:
machomuu said:
Themanhunt said:
He said for DSi. So the DSTWO is his only option.
Ugh...seriously, the fail horn has been going off on me way too many times today...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Because he didn't ask about it and it is practically useless compared with other methods. Only works on very early firmware Phats, requires a certain type of WiFi card, requires a computer any time you want to run anything.. NoPass built into slot-1 card is much easier and better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: