First hints at Wii U pricing

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Americans sure complain a lot regarding prices... They complain the 3DS was expensive when it cost 250$, yet we bought it at 250€ (312$), they complained about the PS3 when it cost 599$, yet we bought it at 599€ (750$), they complained about price of games 60$, when here they cost 60€ (75$)...

If it goes as usual, people from the USA have no real reason to complain, the ones that get screwed up in the end are the Euro countries, pretty much anything gaming and computer related has it's prices directly turned to €, without even being converted, if you think those prices are expensive, try getting them here. =3

Anyway, on topic, if the Wii U comes out at 280£, it's actually a good price, which would mean it'd cost 350€, I don't see anything wrong with that launch price (yeah, the USA would get it at 350$, which is much less, so no reason to complain). ^^

I might not get it at launch since I have classes this year, but I'll get it around march or april next year, since if all goes as expected, I should be working already.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Americans sure complain a lot regarding prices... They complain the 3DS was expensive when it cost 250$, yet we bought it at 250€ (312$), they complained about the PS3 when it cost 599$, yet we bought it at 599€ (750$), they complained about price of games 60$, when here they cost 60€ (75$)...

If it goes as usual, people from the USA have no real reason to complain, the ones that get screwed up in the end are the Euro countries, pretty much anything gaming and computer related has it's prices directly turned to €, without even being converted, if you think those prices are expensive, try getting them here. =3

Anyway, on topic, if the Wii U comes out at 280£, it's actually a good price, which would mean it'd cost 350€, I don't see anything wrong with that launch price (yeah, the USA would get it at 350$, which is much less, so no reason to complain). ^^

I might not get it at launch since I have classes this year, but I'll get it around march or april next year, since if all goes as expected, I should be working already.
Americans are cheap bastards who love to complain.
Trust me. I live here.

Oh and im totally not getting this at launch, maybe X-Mas if I get my PCs working again over the summer but not launch.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I pretty sure we aren't the only ones "complaining". That plus, just because other places are more expensive in comparison, doesn't mean we have to accept /like every items cost.

That said, $350 sounds like the sweet spot.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I pretty sure we aren't the only ones "complaining". That plus, just because other places are more expensive in comparison, doesn't mean we have to accept /like every items cost.

That said, $350 sounds like the sweet spot.
In average, an US citizen gets 41673,83$ per year (according to the 2010 estimates), divided by 12 it gives an average of 3472,82$, whereas in most European countries the net value of their monthly salary roughly under 3000$, in most it doesn't even reach 1000$ (eastern Europe), while there are a few above 5000$ and 6000$ those are exceptions.

I know that you're not the only complaining but in most forums and related websites I visit, the ones complaining are mainly the US citizens, when they don't have it that bad (I just gave the examples from Europe, which is where I live, but some Asian and African countries have it even worse).

Anyway, I've gone too much off topic with this already. z.z

350$ wouldn't be a bad price for a next generation console, people might be complaining that launch games might only support 720p, but heck, just how many people actually have large enough TV's to fully enjoy 1080 as is?
The 360's launch price was roughly 300$ from what I recall, which wasn't a bad price whether people like it or not, gaming has been getting more and more expensive the past few years.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In average, an US citizen gets 41673,83$ per year (according to the 2010 estimates), divided by 12 it gives an average of 3472,82$, whereas in most European countries the net value of their monthly salary roughly under 3000$, in most it doesn't even reach 1000$ (eastern Europe), while there are a few above 5000$ and 6000$ those are exceptions.

That's not taking into account living expenses and other factors, you can make less and yet have more. All in all, raw salary data won't give you any idea of relative cost until living expenses by region are factored in.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's not taking into account living expenses and other factors, you can make less and yet have more.

Taking into consideration the absurd taxes most countries pay here on pretty much anything, for a normal Big Mac at McDonalds, you pay around 8$ (normal size), in house expenses (not including food, electricity and all that stuff, just the money you need to pay the government every month for a house you already paid fully for and own) and IRS you pay over a month of your salary (done once a year, so you pretty much only get 11 months of salary) a normal family of 2 people just in necessities spends over 300€ monthly in groceries (not including extra treats like sweets, chocolates, etc).
A lot of people online seem to think life in Europe is easy and stuff, whereas most countries are poor over here, excluding like 6 of them, the rest is pretty poor nowadays, as Europe is facing a huge financial crisis atm (and several other continents too).

In average, a USA citizen has more money to spend on luxuries (as in entertainment and stuff) than an average European citizen. I love the €, but it has a pretty high value that people seem to forget, yet that value increases while the salaries decrease, which causes a recession.

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
The US price is going to be around the $300 mark, let's not fuck around and directly convert sterling into dollars. It never works out like that.

If this is a correct price and it's a direct conversion, I'd estimate around $350-$400 USD.

Also p1ngy stop trollan you fanboy

I just wanted everyone to know how much a non 1080p capable console would cost them in 2012. :(
except for the fact it is 1080p capable, just that the launch titles won't support it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$435 dollars?

I'm sure that the system will cost much less than that, but that still caught me off guard a bit. The prices for the games, though, does seem pretty reasonable and logical; if that's true, I couldn't say I'd be too surprised.

1234turtles

Memer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is nintendo were talking about, you couldn't pay them to overprice their stuff and even if they did they will lower it eventually.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is nintendo were talking about, you couldn't pay them to overprice their stuff and even if they did they will lower it eventually.

The 3DS? Sure, they got to the second part rather quickly, but you could very well make the argument that Nintendo charged much more than they should have on the handheld.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Oh god not this again
I remember a couple months before the Vita release when everyone was in an uproar over Gamestop pricing the Vita at $999.99.
Placeholders, morons. Fucking placeholders. It's likely that Nintendo hasn't even decided for sure on the final price yet. Why would they let ShopTo of all places in on their plans?

Reactions: 2 people

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh god not this again
I remember a couple months before the Vita release when everyone was in an uproar over Gamestop pricing the Vita at $999.99.
Placeholders, morons. Fucking placeholders. It's likely that Nintendo hasn't even decided for sure on the final price yet. Why would they let ShopTo of all places in on their plans?
probably so p1ng would have an excuse to bash the wii u in some way.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh god not this again
Gamestop always prices things extremely high as placeholders because they have a low price guarantee. They don't want to screw themselves over by putting a lower number and then lose money when it sells at a higher price than that. That's why all Wii U titles right now are priced at $99.99 whereas Amazon has them priced at $59.99. Then when Gamestop gets the final prices they will lower it from $99.99 to the lower price and make people think they're getting a huge discount like what they did with the Vita memory cards.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Why is it all in lower-case?