ROM Hack Fire Emblem Conversation Editor (Awakening/Fates)

ValiantChan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Well, it was this convo I was editing the C support to be specific, but it seems to have stopped. I'm starting to think I'm just being haunted or something.

Attachments

• ラズワルド_フローラ.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 455
Last edited by ValiantChan,

SecretiveCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it was this convo I was editing the C support to be specific, but it seems to have stopped. I'm starting to think I'm just being haunted or something.

Yeah, I'm afraid that worked just fine for me -- I even had cycled the messages back and forth to see if it would happen, but... They stayed as they should be. I'm afraid I'm really not sure what's going on for you -- there might be some kind of bizarre bug with very low odds of occurring that you just happened to run into, and if that's the case... Well, I'm going to mark this as "inconclusive" for now and write some tests.

If the same thing is happening to anyone else, please let me know and send me the files in question!

ValiantChan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Yeah, I'm afraid that worked just fine for me -- I even had cycled the messages back and forth to see if it would happen, but... They stayed as they should be. I'm afraid I'm really not sure what's going on for you -- there might be some kind of bizarre bug with very low odds of occurring that you just happened to run into, and if that's the case... Well, I'm going to mark this as "inconclusive" for now and write some tests.

If the same thing is happening to anyone else, please let me know and send me the files in question!
It seems to have stopped anyway for me, so it's no problem. I'm just really, really confused.

Reactions: FlappyFalco

ValiantChan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Something that may or may not be of interest, it's a fork of FEITS that has real-time previewing, which is honestly magical when figuring out line breaks. No clue whether or not real-time preview is something that can be implemented in this, the extent of my programming knowledge is basic python, but I figured it can't hurt to make this known.

Reactions: SecretiveCactus

SecretiveCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something that may or may not be of interest, it's a fork of FEITS that has real-time previewing, which is honestly magical when figuring out line breaks. No clue whether or not real-time preview is something that can be implemented in this, the extent of my programming knowledge is basic python, but I figured it can't hurt to make this known.

Real-time previewing is very possible, but not in the same ways as that program does it. What that does relies on the fact that it knows exactly where you are in the conversation at any given time and just renders that -- it doesn't even let you edit any other part. That's fundamentally opposed to the approach that I took with the conversation editor, but that doesn't mean that there's nothing I can do to provide some kind of alternative -- I'll put that on the list.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
By the way, something I wanna point out.

FEITs is based on using Awakening Font in Fates, because it was primarily meant for the fan translation, which reused the font because the original one had some really bad spacing issues, so line spacing is really weird compared to the actual game as a result.

You can see here that the line looks like it wants to break the box, but ingame this line shows perfectly fine (taken from the same E000 file I attached a few posts ago);
741a7699a2bc41848c05588e0201cbc7.png

SecretiveCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, something I wanna point out.

FEITs is based on using Awakening Font in Fates, because it was primarily meant for the fan translation, which reused the font because the original one had some really bad spacing issues, so line spacing is really weird compared to the actual game as a result.

You can see here that the line looks like it wants to break the box, but ingame this line shows perfectly fine (taken from the same E000 file I attached a few posts ago);
741a7699a2bc41848c05588e0201cbc7.png

That makes sense. Do we have the Fates font data anywhere? I can easily sub it in.

ValiantChan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
...Man, I feel like I should probably stop the constant pestering for a bit, but I've noticed that the program, when doing expression changes, always does $Ws(insert katana here)|$Wa but that's unnecessary if there's no change in speaker. Also, occasionally bits of the script just... poof. Disappear. It's more common if I'm opening the file after restarting the program, but it's also happened while I was editing a different tab.

SecretiveCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the font stuff: yeah, still the same. It's something I can put on the list to look into, and definitely need to fix up at some point, but if anyone who knows how the files for the Awakening font were procured would be willing to step up and help grab the Fates one, that'd definitely speed things up!

...Man, I feel like I should probably stop the constant pestering for a bit, but I've noticed that the program, when doing expression changes, always does $Ws(insert katana here)|$Wa but that's unnecessary if there's no change in speaker. Also, occasionally bits of the script just... poof. Disappear. It's more common if I'm opening the file after restarting the program, but it's also happened while I was editing a different tab.

No, no. Don't stop. This is good. I tested it a lot myself, but I have a very specific computer setup and it's not like I had the time to extensively look through every piece of game text! Without your bug reports, I wouldn't know what I need to foucs on. Looking at it, you're right -- it does always insert that. I think that was a remnant from before I had a standardized way of ensuring it knew who the last speaker was during conversion... Either way, it's something I'll put on the list for v1.3. I don't think it's urgent enough to require an immediate patch, but it should definitely be lumped in with a larger set of updates.

The poofing is much more concerning, and not something I've ever encountered. Do you have any example files you could send me? Maybe take a look and see if anything got written to out.log or err.log after you notice that text poofed.

Reactions: robotortoise

ValiantChan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
The poofing is much more concerning, and not something I've ever encountered. Do you have any example files you could send me? Maybe take a look and see if anything got written to out.log or err.log after you notice that text poofed.
It's the same file as before - though I should probably note that I was editing the .bin.lz directly, not the txt file. out and err are empty as ever. Dunno if it'd be relevant but the file was made by selecting New Support Conversation from the editor, so it could be that there's some major bit of code that I've forgotten or didn't know to add.

SecretiveCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the same file as before - though I should probably note that I was editing the .bin.lz directly, not the txt file. out and err are empty as ever. Dunno if it'd be relevant but the file was made by selecting New Support Conversation from the editor, so it could be that there's some major bit of code that I've forgotten or didn't know to add.

No, there shouldn't be anything like that... Hm. I created one myself just now and tried it out -- no such problems occurred for me... Would you mind sending me the current state of your .bin.lz file? The only thing I can think of by looking at the text file you provided earlier is that it looks like the wrong words were used for some emotions or something in the A and S supports, since they have some lines like `$Wsラズワルド|$Wa(Neutral)` in them. I have no idea why that would make text poof, though...

Again, if anyone else is experiencing this, please, please tell me. If I have a wider array of samples, that would go a long way towards helping me find the issue.

Last edited by SecretiveCactus,

ValiantChan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
No, there shouldn't be anything like that... Hm. I created one myself just now and tried it out -- no such problems occurred for me... Would you mind sending me the current state of your .bin.lz file? The only thing I can think of by looking at the text file you provided earlier is that it looks like the wrong words were used for some emotions or something in the A and S supports, since they have some lines like `$Wsラズワルド|$Wa(Neutral)` in them. I have no idea why that would make text poof, though...

Again, if anyone else is experiencing this, please, please tell me. If I have a wider array of samples, that would go a long way towards helping me find the issue.
Ah, I just finished combing through the file and fixed everything - talk about bad timing. In the end, only a bit at the end of the B support went missing, compared to when I first started where most of the C support disappeared. So not as severe as it could be, I suppose. The (Neutral) stuff was just because this was something I was coding for Gay Fates - speaking of, is there any possibility that the weirdness I've experienced is because I copy/pasted everything from a word doc?

SecretiveCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I just finished combing through the file and fixed everything - talk about bad timing. In the end, only a bit at the end of the B support went missing, compared to when I first started where most of the C support disappeared. So not as severe as it could be, I suppose. The (Neutral) stuff was just because this was something I was coding for Gay Fates - speaking of, is there any possibility that the weirdness I've experienced is because I copy/pasted everything from a word doc?

Even a single letter vanishing would be concerning to me! Hmm. I can't say with 100% certainty that the copy/pasting has nothing to do with it -- I've barely touched Windows in years and years, let alone Word, but I certainly remember some of the problems it used to cause. That said, I don't want to be too quick to finger that as the cause, because in my eyes the more likely scenario is that I messed some little thing up somewhere and it's getting triggered by... Something about your PC environment or something about the particular text.

Would you mind testing out some more copying/pasting from Word as well as some where you copy and paste from something without rich text like Notepad, and compare both of those to just writing directly? A handful of lines would hopefully be enough to show something. I'd do it myself, but... No Windows, no Word.

ValiantChan

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Even a single letter vanishing would be concerning to me! Hmm. I can't say with 100% certainty that the copy/pasting has nothing to do with it -- I've barely touched Windows in years and years, let alone Word, but I certainly remember some of the problems it used to cause. That said, I don't want to be too quick to finger that as the cause, because in my eyes the more likely scenario is that I messed some little thing up somewhere and it's getting triggered by... Something about your PC environment or something about the particular text.

Would you mind testing out some more copying/pasting from Word as well as some where you copy and paste from something without rich text like Notepad, and compare both of those to just writing directly? A handful of lines would hopefully be enough to show something. I'd do it myself, but... No Windows, no Word.
Hm, some brief testing shows no poofing, though this was just a direct copy/paste with a lot less of the other code bits like $G or $Nu, and I definitely didn't have the program open for as long. I'll post if it happens again in the future.

SecretiveCactus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, some brief testing shows no poofing, though this was just a direct copy/paste with a lot less of the other code bits like $G or $Nu, and I definitely didn't have the program open for as long. I'll post if it happens again in the future.

Okay, thank you -- I've been trying, and I just haven't managed to reproduce it yet myself.

Arnaud04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have never see a such wonderful and great program like this !
Thank you so much ^^
I have 3 questions :
-1 : It's possible to write like (BGM: Mute) just to cut out the current BGM and then, put a other music ?
-2 : How i can add custom character ?
-3 : How we can put our custom support from this awesome program into our game ? (Me it's Eur and Jap FE fates i have)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_NsOxG2zwWA?si=oK21qVNxgd98AyJT