Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so about a year ago I finally got fios (upgraded from DSL) and got 15 up and 5 down speeds, this was the box I got
http://computershopper.com/var/ezwe...4-1-eng-US/verizon-fios-modem-wifi-router.jpg

which is a 802.11n router, I got the same speeds with LAN and and WLAN

now fast forward a year later
I signed up for FiOS quantum and got their 75 up and 25 down package
but only the LAN can achieve those speeds (im actually almost getting 90 up and 35 down) however the WLAN is the exact speed 15 up and 5 down

I called version and now they want me to buy a new $70 router to get those speeds over wi-fi

most of the devices I use (my laptop for instance) are wireless G but so that would mean I should at least get up 54 mbps

so does anyone know whats going on here? is this blatant wi-fi throttling or what?
it just doesnt make sense they ship a wireless N router but it can only go half of what wireless G is.

and I get 5 full bars on my wi-fi signal so that is not the problem

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Without going into any technical detail (I'm in bed just lurking before dropping off to sleep), find out which version of WiFi N your router (and devices) are based on. Draft 2 onwards had significantly better throughput than draft 1.

Also, double check what Windows detects as the WiFi G connection speed. It often changes depending on the quality of reception to your router (bars means signal strength, but that doesn't give any indication of speed).

The final thing to mention is that even though WiFi G is specced to 54mbps, it's rare to get that full speed. I personally only expect 16-20mbps over WiFi G, but then again my area has a lot of radio traffic (being next door to the BBC broadcast centre doesn't help).

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users