Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age coming to PS4 in 2017

ffxii.jpg

Japanese gaming publication Famitsu reports that Square Enix will release a remastered FFXII titled; Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age.
The game will release in 2017 for PS4 Worldwide.
Check out the teaser trailer below:

FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE will also feature:
· Latest-generation high-definition graphical capabilities, including characters and movie scenes fully remastered in high-definition.
· True 7.1 surround sound, including high-definition voicing and newly recorded background music utilizing the current generation of sound production.
· Option to switch between the original and the newly remastered soundtrack.
· New trial mode where players can take on monsters and enemies in up to 100 successive battles
· Modern gameplay advancements including PlayStation ® 4 system trophy support and share functionalities, auto-save and shortened loading times
· An endless amount of gameplay and adventure including hunts, battles, and mini-games

:arrow:Famitsu Article
:arrow:FFXII The Zodiac Age Official Site

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't think any of them appear in FF, but I haven't played FF Tactic advanced. as it has been released later, and it's based on "the past of ivalice" there's a chance vagrant story character could been seen or mentioned.

chronologically, it should be like this :
FF 12 > Tactics > Vagrant story > Tactics Advanced.
What about Revenant Wings?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's confusing, I was convinced this ivlace thing was a seperare series from final fantasy, since i thought final fantasy tacticts was a way to localize tactitcs ogre games for non japanese gamers.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Revenant wings is located right after FF12 (one year later), as it's part of the FF12 series.
I don't have a big knowledge of the ivalice story, I only read one (french) website. I didn't play all games and never completed any of them (yet).

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Option to switch between the original and the newly remastered soundtrack.

Crap, I thought you were going to say "Option to switch between the original and the zodiac versions of the game". I really don't like the zodiac version, it's much too limiting in the early part of the game,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tactics advanced is a what-if/imagination generated world based on the "real" ivalice. A2 however takes place as the same/real ivalice in FFXII

darcangel

Lovely Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If I remember correctly you didn't HAVE to set gambits for your main character. Every action could be selected manually through on-screen menus.
You could pause the game and five order to every char, but since the battles is kind of fast a easy fight playing like that could take more than 10m

just like the crappy system on XIII you could select the attack for every character, but in the end clicking on "Auto" was the only rel playable way

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I always assumed that FF12 was originally a PS3 game. When I emulate it on PCSX2 the graphics weren't pixalated at all. Even the hem on the clothing was there in fine detail. The only hint that it was a PS2 game was that the models had a distant low poly count that would change to a higher one at closer distance. I played it first on the PS2 and then emulated it. I haven't been able to play it on the PS2 since. If you have a decent computer I suggest emulating it. You'll be very surprised at the quality.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Kayot. They're going to need to pull out all of the stops for this one. Final Fantasy X and X-2 have their own little quirks when you try to run them on emulator. Final Fantasy X occasionally has screwed up textures, and upscaling it results in some slightly screwed up text where you can see a column of pixels or so from the next letter when it tries to upscale the text. Final Fantasy X-2 has some strange issues with cutscenes where you have to mess with the rendering setting while actively playing the game back and forth between what runs the cutscenes properly and what setting runs the actual game the best. As a result, the remastered versions of those games look like they're the best way to play them at this point. (Unless somebody can help me find a script somebody made for camera control in FFX, that would let me overlook the rest of the issues :) )

You want to play Final Fantasy XII, here's what you do. First, get a hold of the International Version of the game. Next, run the translation patch that changes 100% of the text to English. (I don't know if the cutscenes were originally in English or not, but if they were in Japanese, the patch apparently swaps the audio to the English version.) Next, load the game up in PCSX2 at the highest internal resolution your system can support. If you're hoping for a PC version of the remaster, you should be able to get at least 4x resolution, which is pretty much higher than standard HD. Turn on texture filtering or whatever to smooth out the textures a bit. Finally, add in just the faintest amount of sharpening to the graphics settings, so that the textured engravings on the stone walls in the background look more like actual engravings and not painted onto a flat surface. There's a sweet spot that hits that effect perfectly without hurting how things like character clothing or skin textures look. There you go, an HD version of FF12 with all of the International add-ons, English text, beautiful graphics, and pretty much flawless graphics for things like text and menus. They actually upscale incredibly well.

If they want to do a Final Fantasy XII remaster, they're going to have to do everything they can to out-do what we can already do in an emulator. Otherwise, all of that extra work will be for nothing, and they could pretty much just pay the PCSX2 team for a licensed version of the emulator rigged for only the one game, pay a royalty for the translation patch, and sell it. I mean, that's what Nintendo does for Virtual Console, and doing this for FFXII would honestly look pretty damn good, as well as only take a couple weeks at most to get everything set to release. All they'd really have to do would be to retexture the text to a higher resolution so it looks slightly smoother, and rig the emulator to let them do that.

Tokiri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
If I remember correctly wasn't that a japan exclusive ps2 game that also got english patched?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember correctly wasn't that a japan exclusive ps2 game that also got english patched?
Final fantasy XII was released for ps2 in english.
What does the article mean "Based on the PS3 Zodiac Job system for PS3"
I guess the "Zodiac age" Relates to the fact is part of the world of ivliace plot, just like people know final fantasy tactics, war of the lions, refer to the events of "The zodiac braves" story. As far as i know, THERE WAS NO FINAL FANTASY XII FOR PS3

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
so the zodiac system is used to lock skills out? it prevent all characters from having all skills by selecting only few, different, ones per character at the start of the game?
that's what I disliked in FFX, the palette system where you could only progress each of them in a specific order and your characters couldn't progress the same way.
I never completed FF12, I guess I could play my game on PS2 again if I want the old system.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the zodiac system is used to lock skills out? it prevent all characters from having all skills by selecting only few, different, ones per character at the start of the game?
that's what I disliked in FFX, the palette system where you could only progress each of them in a specific order and your characters couldn't progress the same way.
I never completed FF12, I guess I could play my game on PS2 again if I want the old system.
But in final fantasy 10, Everyone can learn every skill on the sphere grid, but very late into the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show