Parsaw

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All these years I've never been all into any of the Final Fantasy games(Except for Final Fantasy III).

I just don't get all the hype, and why Final Fantasy is so great? What's so good about it? What draws people in? In fact I rather despise Final fantasy 7, 8, and 10. I just hate them. So can someone explain to me why a large amount of people are so into Final Fantasy?

Note: This isn't intended as a flame, I just wish to be informed

distorted.freque

I'm getting mixed signals here!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know about the others...but I liked the FF series because of the stories. ^^ It must be because when I was younger, I was only allowed to watch my cousins play video games and of course, the only games that actually caught my interest were ones that had a story I could follow. 'Sides, I like the pretty graphics. ^^ So yeah, the FF series can be boring (those long hours put into grinding sucks) but I still like it.

Of course, I also like other RPGs as well.

Parsaw

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
distorted.frequency said:
I don't know about the others...but I liked the FF series because of the stories. ^^ It must be because when I was younger, I was only allowed to watch my cousins play video games and of course, the only games that actually caught my interest were ones that had a story I could follow. 'Sides, I like the pretty graphics. ^^ So yeah, the FF series can be boring (those long hours put into grinding sucks) but I still like it.

Dude, let me tell you, I absolutely hate the stories, and the flamboyant characters. It's so annoying looking. But don't get me wrong, I love other RPGs.(Seiken Densetsu 3, stuff like that)

I think that's what gets me most, is the art, and the stories of Final fantasy.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well liking stories is very subjective.

Some people hate Japanese RPGs just because the characters appear too young. For example, Blue Dragon's Shu is 16 -or maybe 17-. If you look at the artwork/game model, he appears like 8. While I have no problem with how kiddish a character looks, other people don't like this "kid saves the world" RPGs.

Also turn based RPGs are dying out. They used to be mainstream Japanese RPG back in NES/SNES time but turn based is indeed old school and can be very boring unless there's a twist in battle.

If you look at the history of FF, you can see how it's shifting to more action oriented. The very first FFs were truly turn based. And active turn battle was introduced. (Time flows even when choosing commands) FF12 is shaped quite different from previous turn based RPGs.

Not only that, every time mainstream FF comes out, there's a new system. Could be an upgraded system from previous FF, could be totally new, Square isn't afraid of experimenting.

The way story unfolds is changed too. It used to be characters without "character" but customizable. These days FF characters are quite unique.

That's why I like FF. Different every time, and different in a positive way most of the time.

What's with all the hype? Probably buncha old school JRPG fans are wondering what Square will do to their new FF game.
If you like Seiken Densetsu (Sword of Mana series have plunked and no good ones since Legend of Mana IMO), I'd recommend more action oriented games. Star Ocean, Tales of series, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

As I said, turn based (and its variations) isn't for everyone. Either you can stand it or you can't. Even people who used to love it in early 90's can't take it if they were to play one now. It's a big barrier and Square Enix is aware of it. So something will be done.

As for your comments, FF3 DS looks terrible. So does FF4 DS. Personally I prefer the NES FF3 graphics over this DS engine. Not everybody is tolerant to old graphics and it was Square's experiment to get new people drawn in. (I'd say it didn't work)
And each FF has quite different color to their stories. Some are childish, some are deep, some are light, some are didactic, ... If none of them got you reeled in, I'm not sure what will.

Well it's after midnight so my post is quite disorganized, my apologies. I think I misread your posts too, so some parts might make you go "what the hell? that's not what I meant"

Frog

Trophies
XP
Country
I like the snes final fantasy games, interesting story and a pretty decent rpg.
but ff7 etc is so overrated its not funny, crisis core looks pretty good but.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm on the same boat as you are.
I personally don't think they're just as outstanding as people think and say they are.
I mean, they're usually just long, boring, drawn-out games that take hours and hours to complete (not to mention the long cut scenes and confusing stories)...

I've tried to get into the series, and one day I'll probably force myself into playing through the entire series, no matter the console.

And to turn hypocrite, I've actually been playing Final Fantasy - Crystal Chronicles ~ Ring of Fates quite a lot recently. It doesn't fit in with the other Final Fantasy games (which I guess is why it's called the "Crystal Chronicles" or whatever), as it's sort of a Zelda-type action RPG type of game.
Really enjoyable and I'm glad I didn't throw it down too soon like I do with most RPG's (specifically Final Fantasy games).

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FF9steiner.jpg
OG...!!! OGLOP!!!
oglopcard.jpg

I love Final Fantasy IX.

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What makes Final Fantasy is the fact it isn't a pick up and play (sorry to the people who are lazy and rather grab something like call of duty to tide them over) the story has more depth than most games and branches into mini stories.. ok the over-doneness of japanesse work is in there but that's what we come to expect.. some characters become icons etc etc to the rather over-loving crowd.. but as far as i go the leveling system to make the character how you want.. to do what you want etc etc is what makes a repeatitive and free-flowing game.. if you the series then you hate anything with turn based battles as by FAR no other game (Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyssey are the only exceptions but even they are made by the head of FF) can compete and all lose me within 10 minutes.. the gripping of Final Fantasy ain't about what other people think but about whether or not you can be assed to read a Fantasy Novel in the mix of playing a game

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I personally enjoy FF very much..I love turn based battles, and that kind of RPGs are my favorite..

FF is really deep, greatly developed game that takes you into the story, and you have to really concentrate on all those little things, not to miss a bit, because you might loose a big part of game..
I loved NES/SNES FFs, I also like NDS remakes, it's always fun to play it..

You either really like/love FF or you hate it, there isn't much more to it!

LFF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The final fantasy series is overrated, especially VII, but there's people who buy them just cause they've got the final fantasy name in the title. Square could easily have give X a different name, but would as many people have bought it?

Also, I don't think X is overrated, it's one of the best RPG's I've played, after TWEWY, of course.

Parsaw

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
1)Some people hate Japanese RPGs just because the characters appear too young. For example, Blue Dragon's Shu is 16 -or maybe 17-. If you look at the artwork/game model, he appears like 8. While I have no problem with how kiddish a character looks, other people don't like this "kid saves the world" RPGs.

Also turn based RPGs are dying out. They used to be mainstream Japanese RPG back in NES/SNES time but turn based is indeed old school and can be very boring unless there's a twist in battle.

2)What's with all the hype? Probably buncha old school JRPG fans are wondering what Square will do to their new FF game.
If you like Seiken Densetsu (Sword of Mana series have plunked and no good ones since Legend of Mana IMO), I'd recommend more action oriented games. Star Ocean, Tales of series, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

3)As I said, turn based (and its variations) isn't for everyone. Either you can stand it or you can't. Even people who used to love it in early 90's can't take it if they were to play one now. It's a big barrier and Square Enix is aware of it. So something will be done.

1)Nah man, don't get me wrong, I like alot of turn based RPGs, but it's just final fantasy that gets me.

2)Yeah, I'll probably try those out, haha.

3)I love the old turn based RPGs, but I don't see why Final Fantasy is so different from the rest. I've played many turn based RPGs, that are, in my opinion, much more fun, and can keep my attention for long periods of time, than any final fantasy

QUOTE said:
I'm on the same boat as you are.
I personally don't think they're just as outstanding as people think and say they are.
I mean, they're usually just long, boring, drawn-out games that take hours and hours to complete (not to mention the long cut scenes and confusing stories)...

Agreed.

QUOTE said:
Well, if your FFIII is actually FFVI, I understand. If not... huh.gif

I'm pretty sure Im into the American FF3/Japanese FF6. At least I think that's how it goes. Other than that, Final Fantasy games aren't for me!

QUOTEWhat makes Final Fantasy is the fact it isn't a pick up and play (sorry to the people who are lazy and rather grab something like call of duty to tide them over) the story has more depth than most games and branches into mini stories.. ok the over-doneness of japanesse work is in there but that's what we come to expect.. some characters become icons etc etc to the rather over-loving crowd.. but as far as i go the leveling system to make the character how you want.. to do what you want etc etc is what makes a repeatitive and free-flowing game.. if you the series then you hate anything with turn based battles as by FAR no other game (Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyssey are the only exceptions but even they are made by the head of FF) can compete and all lose me within 10 minutes.. the gripping of Final Fantasy ain't about what other people think but about whether or not you can be assed to read a Fantasy Novel in the mix of playing a game

I don't know dude, I love alot of turn based games, but I just can't play Final Fantasy, I can't justify using my gaming time to play it. Maybe that's it though, My mind just doesn't stay attached to a book either, I can't even finish reading a book. No matter what it is. I lose interest a few chapters into it.
The final fantasy series is overrated, especially VII, but there's people who buy them just cause they've got the final fantasy name in the title. Square could easily have give X a different name, but would as many people have bought it?

I whole heartedly agree with that statement. I think alot of people are suckered into buying the games just because of the name. It happens with a lot of items people purchase, though. Not just final fantasy/video games.
lecture.gif

Sorry to deathfisaro for the broken up quote, I only had key points I really felt I needed to respond to, and the forums only let me have a certain amount of quote tags, so< I had to break up your post in one quote tag to lessen the number of them!

Anyways, thanks for all the responses, people. haha. I'm actually being informed! I was expecting at least one immature response from someone...guess not, thanks for that.
smile.gif

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TBH getting older you don't want to sit reading games for hours but I always had time for FF (nothing above 10 though 10-2,11 and 12 show it was a dying series) but the original FF series was the best TB RPGs for me, I will admit I hate long drawn out games but a good RPG (Customization is mainly what I love) i'll play it..

Mass Effect will probably go down as one of my Favourites for RPG and that aint TB..

The point I was making was that it's all about the story for FF they usually have a strong backbone with a lot of side stories at same time.

But I do understand nowadays its harder to play a long winded game but I will never stop going back to PSone and SNES for my classics.

distorted.freque

I'm getting mixed signals here!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Parsaw said:
distorted.frequency said:

Dude, let me tell you, I absolutely hate the stories, and the flamboyant characters. It's so annoying looking. But don't get me wrong, I love other RPGs.(Seiken Densetsu 3, stuff like that)

I think that's what gets me most, is the art, and the stories of Final fantasy.
Hmm? :3 I wasn't asking you to like 'em. We all have our own tastes. I like the stories because they're good fodder for writing. ^^ I doubt you'd understand that unless you read fanfic.

Oh, and it's dudette by the way.
rolleyes.gif

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, I see what your talking about Parsaw..Personally, my favorite RPG of all time is Golden Sun..I really love that game, from graphics, story gameplay..everything is freakin' perfect..
Playing FF, I enjoy most of them, but never liked any of them as I do Golden Sun..

However, I do think that first few FFs are great games, I never got into new/er ones..(I'm planning on playing VII, but after that, I don't like non of FFs)......But I-V are great games!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison. +1