Hacking Homebrew FBI doesn't give the option to install any cia file (3DS HomeBrew)

YamiKami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! I'm new to both this community and to homebrew. I have run into an issue where FBI on the 3ds does not give me the option to install any cia file (the only options are Delete/Rename/Copy/Paste). I looked all over and can't seem to find a fix. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the FBI application but in order to do that I have to install FBI as a cia file which did not work to begin with so I'm stuck. I've made sure the FBI.3dsx file is in the 3ds folder and the FBI.cia file is in the cias folder. I am not sure if this is relevant but I also have hshop installed and have had no issues downloading games from there. I do not think the sd card is the problem but I'm too green to know where the issue really lies. Please help me!

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey! I'm new to both this community and to homebrew. I have run into an issue where FBI on the 3ds does not give me the option to install any cia file (the only options are Delete/Rename/Copy/Paste). I looked all over and can't seem to find a fix. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the FBI application but in order to do that I have to install FBI as a cia file which did not work to begin with so I'm stuck. I've made sure the FBI.3dsx file is in the 3ds folder and the FBI.cia file is in the cias folder. I am not sure if this is relevant but I also have hshop installed and have had no issues downloading games from there. I do not think the sd card is the problem but I'm too green to know where the issue really lies. Please help me!
Do you have a proper .cia file to install with FBI?

The files are listed as .cia yes? and not possibly renamed something else by your pc?

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's weird.. I'd check the extensions of your cia files on pc like Lone_wolf323 suggested.
but in order to do that I have to install FBI as a cia file which did not work to begin with so I'm stuck.
Install it from the Universal-Updater if you have it installed.

Reactions: fenixreign

YamiKami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a proper .cia file to install with FBI?

The files are listed as .cia yes? and not possibly renamed something else by your pc?
Yeah all the files I put into the sd are listed as .cia. I don't think any of the files are corrupted as I get them from github.
Post automatically merged:

Are you selecting the .cia with the A button?
Yes. It used to give me the option to install but I don't know what changed.

That's weird.. I'd check the extensions of your cia files on pc like Lone_wolf323 suggested.

Install it from the Universal-Updater if you have it installed.
I tried that but nothing showed up on my home screen. I'm accessing FBI through the homebrew launcher but it still doesn't give me any install options.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you load FBI directly (without HBL)?

Have you tested your SD card against wearing/damage?
This is my thought as well. I wonder if somehow they're using an old version of FBI that doesn't know how to install CIA files and still looks for .3ds/CCI files.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is my thought as well. I wonder if somehow they're using an old version of FBI that doesn't know how to install CIA files and still looks for .3ds/CCI files.
Nothing to do with FBI as the op has said Universal Updater isn't installing anything as well. So definitely some kind of sd card issue is happening to them.

• Love
Reactions: rcpd and impeeza

YamiKami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you load FBI directly (without HBL)?

Have you tested your SD card against wearing/damage?
I'm an idiot and I deleted the application thinking I could reinstall it. I tried getting it back from the universal updater but that didn't seem to work.

I did not test my SD though. How would I do that?

I am somewhat positive the FBI is in the latest version (in the homebrew launcher). I also went to github to get the most recent version and replaced it on my SD.

Nothing to do with FBI as the op has said Universal Updater isn't installing anything as well. So definitely some kind of sd card issue is happening to them.
Would replacing and moving all the files onto another sd card fix the issue? Someone suggested that but I didn't have the resources to try it yet.

Last edited by YamiKami,

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
Make sure your SD doesn’t have the write lock on. Some cards (or microSD adapters) have a physical slide on the side. Push it to the other side.

If the 3DS can read everything properly, but can’t write to the card it’s probably that.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure your SD doesn’t have the write lock on. Some cards (or microSD adapters) have a physical slide on the side. Push it to the other side.

If the 3DS can read everything properly, but can’t write to the card it’s probably that.
that's what I was thinking as well, but delete is present in options.

YamiKami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could copy everything off the card, format it, test the SD card with h2testw, and if it fails... Then go get a new one. If it passes, copy everything back.
I'll give it a try. Thank you.

I'll look into it. The adapter should be unlocked but I don't know about the micro SD.

that's what I was thinking as well, but delete is present in options.
I'm not sure why that is. Gonna try the recommended methods and report back.

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll look into it. The adapter should be unlocked but I don't know about the micro SD.
micro sd don’t have a lock. Only the full size sd and adapters. Sometimes they are a little finicky, so worth a try. If it looks already not on lock, try sliding it back to lock and then unlock. You can also try another adapter if you have one.

YamiKami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
micro sd don’t have a lock. Only the full size sd and adapters. Sometimes they are a little finicky, so worth a try. If it looks already not on lock, try sliding it back to lock and then unlock. You can also try another adapter if you have one.
I cleared the readonly through the command prompt, so it does write. Also made sure the slide is set to unlock. Currently testing the sd after clearing it out. It'll take a while but ilyk what happens.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cleared the readonly through the command prompt, so it does write. Also made sure the slide is set to unlock. Currently testing the sd after clearing it out. It'll take a while but ilyk what happens.
You just need to see if you can delete, cut, rename on the sd card or copy to. That will verify write capability.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might not help but make sure your CIAs dont have special characters in the name like Pokémon.cia the é will make FBI not have the option to install try to rename your CIAs.

YamiKami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might not help but make sure your CIAs dont have special characters in the name like Pokémon.cia the é will make FBI not have the option to install try to rename your CIAs.
They don't have any special characters. I can't think of any reason for the install option disappearing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol