FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The gaming world seems to have more than its fair share of whiny fools, however they generate so many nice terms and examples like the subject of this thread. This is also my new feature I am calling remembering whine.

When someone is moaning about something it can occasionally be quite useful to go back and see what was happening in previous years, youtube provides a nice example here with all the ways they have killed youtube (troubling game streaming, comments, so many layouts......). Going beyond that I like to also just revisit old discussions that lead to such terms.

The term today is "fan rights", one I have seen a few times but most prominently in mass effect (it ended in a way that was supposedly not all that and more or something) and some instances of megaman discussion. The megaman stuff for me was lost in the noise of general megaman fandom being rowdy so I will ignore it here. The only other context I have seen it in is some sports with teams that have it.

As a legal term it means little and less, something many were thankfully on hand to explain at the time, but it was used as something of a rallying call.

Anyway what are your memories of the term?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have never heard of it, but I am not surprised, and it sounds to me like it originated in America.

Does it mean "right to get exactly what I want?"

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Such behaviour seems pretty normative across different mediums or subjects--it's more a issue of person than of fandom.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a difference between fan rights and gamer entitlement?

Going to have to throw censhorship and the current tomodachi life controversy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fan rights is a complete non term in legal circles. You have whatever rights are afforded to you by consumer protection and contract law. Some PR wonk might use a word like rights at some stages ("we reckon our fans have the right to a good game"). However they are not synonyms (entitlement is possibly somewhat broader).

However I appeared to have missed out this current thing you mention, off to read and giggle.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me it's every single time someone has bitched over big, evil companies like EA and stuff yet they still buy their crap, despite the whole "indie vs literally hitler companies" that exploded on the internet after the great "Linux vs everywhere" world war. There is no biggest fan rights whining than that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, I lost an online friend today who i knew since 2021