Hacking FALSE: Gateway 3DS Bricking Mechanism Discovered

5rg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I'm now on 7.1-15E. Yes, my 3ds is not bricked. I want to be sure and if your experiments with eMMC controller will be successful than people with bricked consoles will be able to rewrite nand with this backup.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't really know enough about Normatt to say for sure, but it doesn't make sense that he'd be on the clone company's payroll and then release a patch for a competing product's launcher. It's commonly known as a conflict of interest to do something directly in competition with the company you're working for. If I was the R4i boss and he did something to encourage people to buy my main competitor's product, I'd be pretty annoyed, to the point that I wouldn't consider contracting his services again.

Your argument is wrong in one thing only. The patch works for free on a file available at gateway's site, people only need a 4.1 to 4.5 3DS and bought imported and original cartridges, you actually doesn't need the gateway card to make it work, only a DS cart compatible with your firmware to install the MSET exploit. So not only Normatt wouldn't be helping R4i, but isn't helping gateway either.
That's why gateway was pissed and started to blame Normatt directly and marking him as a "clone developer, he proved that you don't need any flashcard to get region free, and also because they know that Normatt and others now can work on a non-bricking version of the patch.

Reactions: Cyberdrive

5rg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Update.
Everything was as I expected.
My 3ds booted successfully after writing NAND.BIN
I think it's possible to use this backup to rewrite nand if the way to unlock eMMC will be discovered.

Reactions: Cyberdrive

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most people didnt even consider that you need a 3ds flashcart to get regionfree on original cartridges, as you dont need a flashcart to have Emunand.

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
than how you can enable ds_profile hack without flashcard??? smartaas?
You just run the gateway exploit enabler within the Normal DS Mode with any regular DS Flashcart, after that just put in the Launcher.dat on your SD card which goes straight into your 3DS. Then just click on the profile within the system settings....
So NO need to have a Gateway 3DS flashcard...

Seems like you're the one that isn't smart at all...

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can do it with a DS savegame exploit or with a different 3DS mode exploit, which don't need you to install anything, but then you don't need mset haxx.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
You didn't need a Gateway to use the patch though.
Your argument is wrong in one thing only. The patch works for free on a file available at gateway's site, people only need a 4.1 to 4.5 3DS and bought imported and original cartridges, you actually doesn't need the gateway card to make it work, only a DS cart compatible with your firmware to install the MSET exploit. So not only Normatt wouldn't be helping R4i, but isn't helping gateway either.
That's why gateway was pissed and started to blame Normatt directly and marking him as a "clone developer, he proved that you don't need any flashcard to get region free, and also because they know that Normatt and others now can work on a non-bricking version of the patch.
Ah, I stand (partially) corrected then. R4i still wouldn't be happy that he'd give their potential customers a reason not to buy the card, though. So it's doubtful he has anything to do with the clone companies.

If I had Normatt's skills I'd be releasing a patch that looked for games on the 3DS's SD card instead of the Gateway card. That's probably what they're worried about anyway.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah, I stand (partially) corrected then. R4i still wouldn't be happy that he'd give their potential customers a reason not to buy the card, though. So it's doubtful he has anything to do with the clone companies.

If I had Normatt's skills I'd be releasing a patch that looked for games on the 3DS's SD card instead of the Gateway card. That's probably what they're worried about anyway.
Especially once built in multirom gets here, yeah. The only thing you'd need to do is point the launcher to the SD card instead of the game card slot.

Reactions: bostonBC

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Especially once built in multirom gets here, yeah. The only thing you'd need to do is point the launcher to the SD card instead of the game card slot.

If that is possible then it would be ideal, keep an older R4 style card in the slot and be able to play all the old DS games and then drop all your 3DS iso's on the SD card.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If that is possible then it would be ideal, keep an older R4 style card in the slot and be able to play all the old DS games and then drop all your 3DS iso's on the SD card.
I wouldn't count on it happening though. Most people who have the knowledge to make it happen are against piracy or just don't give a fuck and flashcart companies can't make money that way.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't count on it happening though. Most people who have the knowledge to make it happen are against piracy or just don't give a fuck and flashcart companies can't make money that way.

I don't really care either way (especially since it's not useful to me), I'd just like to see Gateway taken down a peg.

Reactions: the_randomizer

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bricking code is by far the most fucked up thing they could have done once the software detected itself on a clone card.
Other options are

1) demo mode:
1a) dont save games, tell user why!
1b) every 10 mins close game
1c) in game ads? <--- lol this ones a troll, thought it was funny

2) Format itself: thats right, remove itself from the SDCARD, although it may not be possible. just an idea.

3) This is by far my favorite, you ready? Simply DONT LOAD ROMS... it will appear as if the game card doesnt work. Gateway is protected, clones look like cheap broken garbage, end of story.
And if they have the power to brick a console, id say they can code launcher to do these things
instead.

"R4... WHY DOES MY GAME KEEP CLOSING 3 SECONDS IN"
RE: "CUZ I R CLONE HUEHUEHUE..."

To brick a console is by far the most fuked up thing they could have done.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricking code is by far the most fucked up thing they could have done once the software detected itself on a clone card.
Other options are

1) demo mode:
1a) dont save games, tell user why!
1b) every 10 mins close game
1c) in game ads? <--- lol this ones a troll, thought it was funny

2) Format itself: thats right, remove itself from the SDCARD, although it may not be possible. just an idea.

3) This is by far my favorite, you ready? Simply DONT LOAD ROMS... it will appear as if the game card doesnt work. Gateway is protected, clones look like cheap broken garbage, end of story.
And if they have the power to brick a console, id say they can code launcher to do these things
instead.

"R4... WHY DOES MY GAME KEEP CLOSING 3 SECONDS IN"
RE: "CUZ I R CLONE HUEHUEHUE..."

To brick a console is by far the most fuked up thing they could have done.

Agreed it is horrible for the consumer but I think their reasoning went like this:

Someone is going to figure out how to do homebrew and run ISO's from the SD card soon enough or someone is going to build their own hardware and software. The clones are eating into our sales and we know the party won't last forever.

Then they probably thought of the things they could do and realized that anything that didn't run the games/saves right on clone cards wouldn't be a big enough hit. Killing the consoles of users who had a clone card would do it. Who in their right mind would trust a clone card not knowing if it would brick their 3DS?!?

As we've seen people were mad but the second they saw the multi-rom video all was forgiven (by most).

I think it was farking brilliant and the only thing I would add is in a few weeks for them to send out a note saying they are sorry for the plight of clone users (because the clone companies aren't going to be able to fix things without the encryption key if I understand things correctly) - and offering to fix their consoles and sell them a real Gateway card.

They will have destroyed the competition and increased their market share.

What they are hoping is nobody else (MT/homebrew) figures a way to do the same thing without using their hardware.

But alternate cards and homebrew running ISO's will be the death of the Gateway card. They know it and are trying to push back that date as much as possible to make as much money as they can until the window of opportunity closes.

xXMortalKombatXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Agreed it is horrible for the consumer but I think their reasoning went like this:

Someone is going to figure out how to do homebrew and run ISO's from the SD card soon enough or someone is going to build their own hardware and software. The clones are eating into our sales and we know the party won't last forever.

Then they probably thought of the things they could do and realized that anything that didn't run the games/saves right on clone cards wouldn't be a big enough hit. Killing the consoles of users who had a clone card would do it. Who in their right mind would trust a clone card not knowing if it would brick their 3DS?!?

As we've seen people were mad but the second they saw the multi-rom video all was forgiven (by most).

I think it was farking brilliant and the only thing I would add is in a few weeks for them to send out a note saying they are sorry for the plight of clone users (because the clone companies aren't going to be able to fix things without the encryption key if I understand things correctly) - and offering to fix their consoles and sell them a real Gateway card.

They will have destroyed the competition and increased their market share.

What they are hoping is nobody else (MT/homebrew) figures a way to do the same thing without using their hardware.

But alternate cards and homebrew running ISO's will be the death of the Gateway card. They know it and are trying to push back that date as much as possible to make as much money as they can until the window of opportunity closes.

yeah, i think the same... Only if we could make people talk with their pockets instead of their keyboards

Lunai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But how will they make ROM's run from the SD card if the 3DS firmware is designed to read a game from it's card slot?
I guess it wouldn't be impossible, but wouldn't they have to code it up in a way so it fakes that there is a game card in the slot?
I don't wanna lose Spotpass or Streetpass capabilities. Nope.
No thanks.
I'll take the card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.