Hacking FALSE: Gateway 3DS Bricking Mechanism Discovered

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Normmatt worked for 2 clone companies? It's like serving 2 bosses.
Even then, he releases a patch that works for the original gateway card..
Doesn't that seem at least a little bizarre?

Right, but his intention wasn't to brick consoles, Gateway on the other hand.....

Reactions: Nightwish

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I know his intention wasn't. I just hope he can use his knowledge of the decrypted gateway launcher.dat to figure out how the brick is established. If it's indeed passkey locked, he might be the first to figure out how the passkey can be calculated to unlock the eMMC without the need to force erase it.

A gateway backup can't be used to restore the eMMC contents as gateway decrypts and re encrypts their backup with a different key. So you would need tools to decrypt the gateway backup and encrypt it the nintendo way before you could restore it to the original eMMC. I wished I wasn't correct about this, but I am afraid I am.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So Normmatt worked for 2 clone companies? It's like serving 2 bosses.
Even then, he releases a patch that works for the original gateway card..
Doesn't that seem at least a little bizarre?

He worked for acekard which I recall, wast a standalone flashcard company.
Right now, he seems to be a freelance hacker, making stuff for shits and giggles. no serious stuff.
I seem to recall that he is also against piracy.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
IMHO, he found the region free patch and released it for the benefit of the community.
As no bricks had occured, he couldn't know that messing up the launcher.dat hash would trigger some "let's brick it" routine.
The way he is treated over here, like he caused all the mess, it wouldn't suprise me if his feelings would be "go figure it out yourselfs"
But, I am an insensitive dick comparing the dead of consoles with the dead of people.
Maybe it's because I work all my life in rescueing electronic systems...
So, what do I know about his feelings?

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
How come? A person who used to work on the flashcart industry (Acekard) can change and turn over a new leaf.

Sure, I suppose. I'm probably just against that he's against piracy. There shouldn't be restrictions on Homebrew, that's the whole purpose of it.

Morals are morals though, and I understand that. I just don't like morals being in a scene like this...

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
S
Sure, I suppose. I'm probably just against that he's against piracy. There shouldn't be restrictions on Homebrew, that's the whole purpose of it.

Morals are morals though, and I understand that. I just don't like morals being in a scene like this...

Sometimes, it's not so much as for sake of morality. Sometimes it is for fear of being sued. And dat shit costs a hefty fine.

Believe it or not, it's things like morality that keeps us human. If we didn't have that, technology could endanger humanity on a much larger scale. XD

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
S

Sometimes, it's not so much as for sake of morality. Sometimes it is for fear of being sued. And dat shit costs a hefty fine.

Believe it or not, it's things like morality that keeps us human. If we didn't have that, technology could endanger humanity on a much larger scale. XD

Heh, yeah that's all true. :rolleyes:

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I'm pretty sure that psychopaths are still human, but yes, society wouldn't work if we were all psychopaths.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Someone must be more right than the other.
I don't really know enough about Normatt to say for sure, but it doesn't make sense that he'd be on the clone company's payroll and then release a patch for a competing product's launcher. It's commonly known as a conflict of interest to do something directly in competition with the company you're working for. If I was the R4i boss and he did something to encourage people to buy my main competitor's product, I'd be pretty annoyed, to the point that I wouldn't consider contracting his services again.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well tbh editing someone else's launcher doesn't exactly encourage people to buy a competitors product

Not saying it's true just that if he was all they had, I doubt they would just scrap hacking firmwares because he released a mod that had nothing to do with flashcards.......maybe if he released a free rom loader.....then they would be pissed

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well tbh editing someone else's launcher doesn't exactly encourage people to buy a competitors product

Not saying it's true just that if he was all they had, I doubt they would just scrap hacking firmwares because he released a mod that had nothing to do with flashcards.......maybe if he released a free rom loader.....then they would be pissed

Sure it does, when they slap a sticker price that is less than the original, everything else is ignored. That is why people buy clones in the first place. There is a whole section called R4 DS, where people buy clones all day long and ask questions on how to get it working.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A gateway backup can't be used to restore the eMMC contents as gateway decrypts and re encrypts their backup with a different key. So you would need tools to decrypt the gateway backup and encrypt it the nintendo way before you could restore it to the original eMMC. I wished I wasn't correct about this, but I am afraid I am.
Dunno if i am understanding what u'r saying exactly, but if you mean the nand backup done by the gateway, several ppl have flashed it directly to the nand chip using the sd card reader conection to the pcb after upgrading to 7.1, and they got the 4.5 version back, working straight up with no problems.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't really know enough about Normatt to say for sure, but it doesn't make sense that he'd be on the clone company's payroll and then release a patch for a competing product's launcher. It's commonly known as a conflict of interest to do something directly in competition with the company you're working for. If I was the R4i boss and he did something to encourage people to buy my main competitor's product, I'd be pretty annoyed, to the point that I wouldn't consider contracting his services again.
You didn't need a Gateway to use the patch though.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Elusivo

that's good to hear. I remember reading a different story on one of the forum topics here. Will have to look it up again I guess.

5rg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Elusivo

that's good to hear. I remember reading a different story on one of the forum topics here. Will have to look it up again I guess.

I'm going to write nand.bin made by gateway launcher via hardware mod to my 3ds and write you back about results. As far as I know it's just nand backup exactly as it was made by hardware mod.

Reactions: Cyberdrive

Advanced User

Trophies
XP
Country
Why hasn't the title of this thread been corrected by a moderator? I was the one who compiled and translated the info from ngb.to and posted it at Maxconsole. In a very disappointing move, GaryOPA then wrote a reply to my post, put it ON TOP of mine, renamed the thread by adding "FALSE" and then locked it, muting any further discussion/exchange of information.

Nothing he wrote disproved anything said in the original post. For all we know, everything stated here http://gbatemp.net/threads/false-gateway-3ds-bricking-mechanism-discovered.360838/#post-4891865 is indeed true.

So should I create a new thread titled "TRUE: Gateway 3DS Bricking Mechanism Discovered" here and repost the information? Since some additional info has come to light, I think that could be useful.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I assume you will test this on a working 3ds and not on a gateway bricked one?

You might as well read the eMMC and compare the file with the gateway backup.
Some parts will be different due to changes on the eMMC between this backup and the previous one, but most parts should be identical.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.