Rolling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi GBA/EZ-Flash experts! :)

I hope i'm in the right forum for this question...

I made a little homebrew program based on gsm player to play some audio files on my GBA. It works fine with emulators like vboyadvance oder no$gba but when i try to run it on my EZ-Flash IV i just get a blank screen.

Am i missing something? Every other ROM (non-homebrew) works fine.

Kind regards,
Rolling

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The same issue I am about to cover applies to all flash carts, more accurate emulators, and could happen to any piece of homebrew.

While Tepple's GSM player is usually a bit better on this front than the competition (neimod's music player advance
http://www.gameboy-advance.net/emulated/musicplayer_advance_gba_mp3.htm ) the header is usually broken (despite various rulings before then for part of the GBA era a lot of homebrew devs did not include a header for they feared it was illegal). I can't remember what the current (or older) commands for soft reset are so probably better to look at fixing the header.
GBATA from
http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm
flash advance toolkit
http://www.gameboy-advance.net/rom_tools/flash_advance_toolkit.htm

GBATA will fix minor issues with header, FAT will create one where it does not exist. Sometimes I had to combine the two (use FAT then fix any issues with GBATA).

The other issue is possibly the size of it -- depending upon your EZ4 model you might be limited to 16 megabytes if doing RAM, 32 for NOR.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Rolling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi Fast6191,

thanks for you quick resonse! :)

Didn't know about FAT yet, but i already tried GBATA...

I did some further research. Both tools show me that header is ok. I tried to fix it but i still can't get it to work (see images attached).

I also tried to pad the file (7014kb) to 8192kb but no success. Other ROMs with 8192 size work fine.

I'm lost :D

Attachments

• fatv8.jpg
    fatv8.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 342
  • gbata.jpg
    gbata.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 323

Rolling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi *,

today i received a Supercard SD Mini to try if it is an EZ-Flash related issue.

Same result - white screen. :(

D

Deleted User

GBATA is showing that the rom has a bad checksum. Try using uCON64 (https://ucon64.sourceforge.io/) to correct it. Make sure download the GUI (half way down the page, extract it into the same folder as uCON64) or you'll be stuck using the command prompt.

Rolling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi PsxFan,

i went with your advice and fixed the checksum with ucon. GBATA confirms that header (and checksum) are ok. I tried the updated rom with Supercard and Ez-Flash, but sadly to no avail.

I thought maybe something is wrong with my coding so i took original gsmplayer files (since i'm a new member i'm not allowed to post a github link, but you can easily find it on github by searching "gsmplayer-gba") and compiled a clean rom. To my surprise i also couldn't get "clean gsm" to run on gba hardware (white screen).

So i guess my question is how to get GSM player to run on real hardware? :D

D

Deleted User

Ok. I compiled it and tried it myself and it's working fine on my hardware (both my EZ Flash IV and EZ-Flash Omega). With the EZ Flash IV you need to launch the game with L + B or add it to the list of non-patched games in the EZ IV's config file (You will need to edit the 4 bytes at 0xAC (Game ID Characters) to something that can be uniquely identified).

Last edited by ,

Rolling

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OMG, dude - you are a legend! :)

How could i've missed that?! Now i got it to run on EZ-Flash with both solutions.

PS: Fun fact - i've also managed to run it on Supercard. Basically it was the same mistake - i patched the rom (because all other roms need a patch), but the card wanted it unpatched.

Big thanks to you! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @a_username_that_is_cool, wut