Hacking Ever17 PSP translation - gauging interest

Diag

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
oh really? thats good to hear, always saw just the first one, than it´s perfect (i like the psp opening too, but i prefer the other one)

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Yes, just I did not checked, what are the conditions to see original opening. Maybe need to complete one of the routes first to get access to the gallery.

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd be really glad if this were translated for PSP! :D
I've been playing it a little on my tablet's VNDS, but I would love to be able to see all of the bonus content and videos :3 I know I could just play it on PC, but I'm more of a handheld person :x

I really hope for the best! ^_^

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frankly I don't know that this'd be worth the time - most devices that can run PSP games also have a VNDS interpreter of some sort, including the PSP itself. As far as I know, the bugs with the converter were fixed ages ago.

Regardless, if you plan to go through with this, for the love of God, find a script editor. Ever17 is excellent, and everyone should play/read it if they're a sci-fi fan (especially Zero Escape fans), but the whole thing is riddled with typos and bizarre formatting errors, and the only one that's been definitively patched by anyone is the date spoiler. Someone might complain that it's not true to the 'original' script, but I've seen abandoned fan translations of games with more effort put into them.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Regardless, if you plan to go through with this, for the love of God, find a script editor. Ever17 is excellent, and everyone should play/read it if they're a sci-fi fan (especially Zero Escape fans), but the whole thing is riddled with typos and bizarre formatting errors, and the only one that's been definitively patched by anyone is the date spoiler. Someone might complain that it's not true to the 'original' script, but I've seen abandoned fan translations of games with more effort put into them.
Yes, absolutely. Bizarre punctuation of the Hirameki, tons of typos, absent words, sometimes words like Kidat/Kideth appeared instead of "you there" - and much more. So definility this would be manual conversion (if any would happen) with manual reading/correcting things noticed.

Anyway, right now I see that at least 5 persons are interested :) I dunno how is about you, but I am definitely need things, which are absent in VNDS (well, were absent at least, correct me if I am wrong) - is music/video browser/endings/TIPS system, and another is that history viewer, as not once or twice I occasionally skipped forward without entirely reading and not once after returning to game I forgot what was before, and here built-in history is the best thing. Moreover, PSP version have unique content (new intro movie, TIPS, maybe something else, what I do not know, as still did not played through whole game) - so it would be better than VNDS for sure.

Diag

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i tried just the same ds version of vnds and it was not the same experience, don´t know how it is with psp vnds, but i don´t think it´s that much better :/

the tips section is also one thing i really missed in the pc version, especially after seeing how useful they were in other vn´s like remember 11 (without tips nearly impossible to fully understand) or i/o.. even never 7 had a html tips section, where it is a nice addition, but not really necessary..
i thought maybe someone had already translated them in the web (like the infinity timeline of the remember 11 psp version) but couldn´t find anything..
editing the text is for sure necessary, translated tips and edited videos would be a nice addon to a later date :) the psp version looks like the definite version and it would be awesome if we can play it one day on the psp/vita.. the game deserves more attention ;)

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last Time I checked, VNDS had bugs that prevented one from reaching the true ending, which is why I ended up playing the PC version. Also all the extras are missing from the VNDS version.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Never 7? I encountered that bug while playing and ended up missing the true ending because of it. Such a shame.

I was gonna come in here to say the same thing. When he said "copy and paste" I thought "Oh no..."

Anywhoo, on topic: I would love to see this happen if it weren't for the fact that I've already read Ever 17 (it was actually my first visual novel, and why I love them to this day). I honestly think it's not worth the effort, but if you want to do it, more power to you. I suggest getting someone who can actually speak Japanese to do the copy+paste job. Knowing Google Translate, there's gonna be plenty of times where the PC script won't seem the same as the translated PSP script.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
If person could actually speak japanese - this copy-paste & editng would have few difference from total retranslation :) anyway, no one wished to help me, apart Diag, so.... No point in speaking about it. Especially having in mind that almost everyone do not really need it. That said, If some japanese-speaker would want to join, I would be happy. please send me a PM, as there are also parts not translted.

SkyeWelse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a huge fan of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward and recently someone told me about Ever 17 and a few others that Uchikoshi-san has also developed. Oddly enough I prefer Visual Novel experiences like this to be on a portable because usually I'll play them like I would read a good book before going to sleep rather than sitting in front of a computer screen. Since I saw this was for PSP and that an English script has already been made for the PC version I dropped by to see if anyone had perhaps made any progress getting the script inserted into the PSP version.

It's nice to see that there is some interest gathering for this. At any rate, I'd love to know what the last status was for this and what has been attempted so far. Would the author of the PC translation bless a PSP project to utilize the English script that was developed for the PC version? Scorp, you mentioned that some parts were left untranslated as well?

-Thomas

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Author of PC translation is Hirameki International, commercial publisher :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirameki
No one would get a blessing from them to use their translation.

Where I told that some parts left untranslated? Quote me please, as this is very old thread.

Yes, something was done so far, but not much. Most people see no point in having this done, and having Windows tablet available I see less and less interest in VN ports for PSP.

Scorp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Ah, these... Only menu settings and stuff like that did not had a translation, not really important or hard to translate. Game itself have same text as PC version, no additional parts.

SkyeWelse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply Scorp. If the translation from Hirameki was commercially released, it would mean that the game would likely have to be re-translated, or the commercial translation would have to be used anyway, which might not seem like the best thing to do. I agree, it may be too much trouble when there are other options for playing games on a portable device. I don't have a Windows tablet yet, but when I do one day, I think I would like to try this out at that time.

-Thomas

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-