English. English. English.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
What are some words that are unique to your local area? Up here, everyone calls cigarettes 'tabs'. Old people, young people, rich people, poor people... When I leave the area nobody knows what you're talking about.

Here's s mouse speaking a relatively broad version of my local accent and dialect.

[YouTube]Fumv62GvhX4[/youtube]

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
impizkit said:
BlueStar said:
Do non-native speakers use the American way of referring to collective nouns (where they're always referred to in the singular - the team is playing well, the enemy is defeated) or the British way (Where depending on context they can be singular or plural - The government is in trouble, the team are fighting amongst themselves, both equally correct)

Posts merged

impizkit said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
impizkit said:
I love the term American Accent. There are multiple American accents, just like British. I have no accent. I live in an area of the US that has no accent. Straight English.
You can't not have an accent.

That spoken from someone that has one, likely. There truly is such a thing as no accent. I dont have a southern accent, Minnesota/Wisconsin accent or a New England accent or any other American Accent. If you were American, you would know what I mean.

I'd be willing to bet that if I met you, I'd know you were an American by the way you said words. How is that not an accent?

The closest thing to 'no accent' would be Received Pronunciation. Which unless you're a narrator from a 1930s British Pathe newsreel, I'd be willing to bet you don't speak.
Just because I am American doesnt mean I have an accent. You would recognize me as American because of my lack of an accent. Any Americans that can back me up here?
I will
biggrin.gif
. No wait, I won't, because you do have an accent, everyone does.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
impizkit said:
BlueStar said:
Do non-native speakers use the American way of referring to collective nouns (where they're always referred to in the singular - the team is playing well, the enemy is defeated) or the British way (Where depending on context they can be singular or plural - The government is in trouble, the team are fighting amongst themselves, both equally correct)

Posts merged

impizkit said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
impizkit said:
I love the term American Accent. There are multiple American accents, just like British. I have no accent. I live in an area of the US that has no accent. Straight English.

That spoken from someone that has one, likely. There truly is such a thing as no accent. I dont have a southern accent, Minnesota/Wisconsin accent or a New England accent or any other American Accent. If you were American, you would know what I mean.

I'd be willing to bet that if I met you, I'd know you were an American by the way you said words. How is that not an accent?

The closest thing to 'no accent' would be Received Pronunciation. Which unless you're a narrator from a 1930s British Pathe newsreel, I'd be willing to bet you don't speak.
Just because I am American doesnt mean I have an accent. You would recognize me as American because of my lack of an accent. Any Americans that can back me up here?
I will
biggrin.gif
I think he means his area doesn't have a specific dialect. There aren't any words used there that are only used in that region.
I don't really have a Scottish accent (to me anyway) but it is recognisable as slightly Scottish. Its not the stereotypical one for my area though.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
machomuu said:
impizkit said:
BlueStar said:

Posts merged

impizkit said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
impizkit said:

I will
biggrin.gif
I think he means his area doesn't have a specific dialect. There aren't any words used there that are only used in that region.
I don't really have a Scottish accent (to me anyway) but it is recognisable as slightly Scottish. Its not the stereotypical one for my area though.
Oh, dialect. Imp, that's completely different from an accent.

Also...is it wrong if a certain accent irks me slightly?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
machomuu said:
Also...is it wrong if a certain accent irks me slightly?
Depends, what accent.
wink.gif
Uh...I'd rather not say.

Though to be fair, the accent really doesn't bother me when people speak it. It's really in movies and shows that it's a little too much for me when everyone speaks it.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I hate British accents in American films, they sound fucking ridiculous. Can't get a British person to just speak normally because Americans have been conditioned to think English people sound like either Hugh Grant or Dick Van Dyke's cockney chimney sweep impression.

Edit: The 'British' accents on the Simpsons are even worse.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Welsh football hooligans have it pretty bad, no matter how angry or agressive they are they just sound adorable with that sing-song stuff.. "I'll bat-ter you, so I will".

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
emigre said:
Personally I believe the Scouse accent to a quasi foreign language.
Whats wrong with it? its almost indistinguishable from Queens English. Ignore the title, because whoever posted the video is a retard.
[youtube]nDaTTVR2JXY[/youtube]
Ignore the title, because whoever posted the video is a retard.

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a very good reason that American spellings differ from the British - and an obvious reason when you consider the net effect of basically dropping vowels that seem pointless...

But being British myself, I suspect that I'd get clobbered by the American contingent on this board if I explained it :-)

Myself, I have a North Lincolnshire accent, but throughout my life I've had East Yorkshire, Kent and East Sussex accents too. I suppose that now I'm in my thirties my accent will be more reluctant to change - when you're young you pick them up very easily indeed.

D.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunny said:
There's a very good reason that American spellings differ from the British - and an obvious reason when you consider the net effect of basically dropping vowels that seem pointless...

But being British myself, I suspect that I'd get clobbered by the American contingent on this board if I explained it :-)
If we want to know we'll google it, though it is partially due the to the Revolutionary War.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
What are some words that are unique to your local area? Up here, everyone calls cigarettes 'tabs'. Old people, young people, rich people, poor people... When I leave the area nobody knows what you're talking about.

Here's s mouse speaking a relatively broad version of my local accent and dialect.

[YouTube]Fumv62GvhX4[/youtube]

Rats - fixed the video now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: btw i feel this a good time to remind you guys that sea of thieves was made by rare, who also...