emuNAND and 1-bit SD Cards - Am I SCREWED!??

NitroHedgehog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just got my RCM pin, and I followed EVERYTHING here - https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/getting_started/, placed all on my SD Card as said, but there comes a problem... I NEVER inserted a SD Card in the Switch before, and when I did it for the 1st time EVER, I get the 1-bit error that is supposedly due to a faulty SD reader INSIDE the Switch. Hekate works completely, I can inject payloads, etc... but am unable to access HomeBrew Channel due to a load of errors...

Unknown pkg1 version
HOS version not supported
or emuMMC corrupt

trying backup bootloader

Unknown pkg1 version
or emuMMC corrupt
(yes, this shows up TWICE)

Failed to launch HOS
Press any key...

Is this because of my SD card reader, or because there is something that I didn't do correctly? I use a 128GB FAT32 micro SD Card, by the way...

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What does that means? It is one of the first Switch consoles ever released, according to the serial number on the bottom of it.
but where you the first person to own it?

i'm saying that because, i'll sometime get the 1-bit mode/sd failed to mount issue

my switch is getting old and the contacts probably worn out

NitroHedgehog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but where you the first person to own it?
No. My girlfriend did, but she wasn't even aware that micro SD Cards could be inserted. I discovered it myself. Now she feels bad about all of this...

EDIT - Great. Everything works fine, but the emuNCC creation process is SLOW!!! It takes at least 5 minutes for 1%!!! Oh well... seems like I have to wait at least 10 to 12 hours... I'm HERE in the guide: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/emummc/making_emummc/

Last edited by NitroHedgehog,
Reactions: gouki99

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
It's possible your SD card reader is faulty. Happened to me. I bought a new one and swapped it out for like $5

Hopefully it's just that, could also be one of the pins is damaged on the connector on the motherboard. That will require soldering to fix.

Reactions: pinbi7

NitroHedgehog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's possible your SD card reader is faulty. Happened to me. I bought a new one and swapped it out for like $5

Hopefully it's just that, could also be one of the pins is damaged on the connector on the motherboard. That will require soldering to fix.
Where do I get a new SD card reader for Switch? I'm a total zero at soldering...

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i wish i could say ''hey ,open it up and check the connectors" but i'm really not tech savy when it come to hardware
it would take a while for me to decide to open up mine,so i won't go recommending other ppl to do it to theirs

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
1 Bit mode, normally is a hardware issue, luckily the card reader what can be replaced very easy, if not is the connector on the main board, you need go to a phone repair shop to they replace the connector, or if you are highly experienced welder you can try your self. search here on the GBAtemp the several threads about damaged connectors.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
i wish i could say ''hey ,open it up and check the connectors" but i'm really not tech savy when it come to hardware
it would take a while for me to decide to open up mine,so i won't go recommending other ppl to do it to theirs
a phone repair shop can make the test quickly. look for the threads about damaged connectors and visit a shop.

Reactions: pinbi7

Al3xmc88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had that problem for a while, loading would be super slow and often crashing.. I got sd card slot reader replaced with no luck.. I took it back and they put it under the microscope and had 2 pins broken on motherboard, get them fixed and still not working, out of options he had an extra switch and swapped the sd reader slot once more and it worked.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
I got mine off eBay here in the UK. Try ebay.

When checking the reader it will be clear if the pins are broken or not.

I can't solder either I had a computer/phone repair shop micro solder for me.
Oof. Sorry to break it to you but it sounds like you got scammed. The Micro SD reader isn't soldered down, it just clips in to place via a ribbon cable.

To OP: If you can use a screwdriver you can replace the SD reader yourself. Follow this guide up to step 5:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Switch+Teardown/78263

It is easy but the screws in the backplate are soft so you have to be careful not to strip them, it happens a lot.

You need a triwing screw driver and a small philips head. You can get them on Amazon. They're a lot cheaper on Ali Express if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive. As for the reader itself you can get them on ebay or Ali Express, again if you're willing to wait a while for it to ship from China. While you're at it you may as well pick up some metal latches for your Joycons. They usually come with the screw drivers you need and don't cost much more, they will make your Joycons feel nicer when connecting them to the tablet because the plastic ones that Nintendo use wear down over time.

Here are some Ali links if you decide to buy the cheap parts from China:
SD Reader - £1.25: link
This one is 4x the price but also comes with the tools you need
Screw drivers (SD reader not included) - £2.37: link
(Alternatively) here are some Joycon metal latches that come with the screw drivers - £2.29 link

I don't know if it's still a thing but Ali Express were giving people £5 off yesterday if you clicked the coupon on their homepage. I put mine towards an FPGA dev board.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust,

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Oof. Sorry to break it to you but it sounds like you got scammed. The Micro SD reader isn't soldered down, it just clips in to place via a ribbon cable.

The actual 16 pin connector had pins ripped out. I had to have that replaced.... TWICE! They're shockingly fragile.
The switch was not designed to be repeatedly removing the SD card.

And then the SD card connector went faulty too so I replaced that as well. And it just clips on like you said.

Reactions: CompSciOrBust

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I just got my RCM pin, and I followed EVERYTHING here - https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/getting_started/, placed all on my SD Card as said, but there comes a problem... I NEVER inserted a SD Card in the Switch before, and when I did it for the 1st time EVER, I get the 1-bit error that is supposedly due to a faulty SD reader INSIDE the Switch. Hekate works completely, I can inject payloads, etc... but am unable to access HomeBrew Channel due to a load of errors...

Unknown pkg1 version
or emuMMC corrupt

trying backup bootloader

Unknown pkg1 version
or emuMMC corrupt
(yes, this shows up TWICE)

Failed to launch HOS
Press any key...

Is this because of my SD card reader, or because there is something that I didn't do correctly? I use a 128GB FAT32 micro SD Card, by the way...

Hmmm, this one is kinda hard because Nintendo designed the connector really badly. They only fixed it on the OLED and lite models.

It could be:
1. Bad placement of sd card reader
2. An actual pin is missing

1 can be fixed by reseating the connector or replacing the reader

Now 2 is tricky because Atmosphere kinda doesn't support it. When it tries to get keys, it doesn't load. I had to ask CTCaer for help since it crashes on my old Switch. He gave me a special Hekate build that dumps the keys or something and stores it on the SD card. Atmosphere not supporting 1 bit mode started around FW 9 iirc on a later atmosphere release.

Your options if no. 2,

1. Find a cellphone store to somehow bring back the pin or solder all the wires directly to the connector of the reader.
2. Get a bigger SSD and use that (personally did this one and use SD card for small games and gave it to my brother). Don't even think of putting large games on the SD, it takes forever to load games like Xenoblade 2.

2 means no emummc, so you can't use it legitly due to hard drive being bigger than normal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google the laptops graphic chip for games streaming more then likely benched on YouTube
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    That's a lot of money.
    I can pay it, but I'd rather eat better.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah just eat floor crumbs
    Juan's floor crumbs were always rat fur
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Change from real cheese, to government cheese, you'll save some money.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta get that government cheese one new laptop a year
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking Biden making us pay full internet prices
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Of course there is always, OnlyFans, or a GoFundMe, to raise some money.
    @BigOnYa are you on OnlyFans?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He gets his ramming funds from onlyfans
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea but my total income is negative, lol
    I would pay for watching someone eat food from the floor.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, stop spending the videos' budget on food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No I've never even been to the site(honestly) but have heard of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm half way at my savings for a new move
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like a karate move? The flying dragon is cool.
    @BigOnYa if you've never been to the site how do you know about its contents?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Can he do a shoryuken?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, cuz of people mentioning it everywhere
    +1
    Someone here introduced me to it. Not gonna say who.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everybody knows what that site about, and you can't read normal news anymore without hearing about it
    But it's degrading and disgusting.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, was it Juan?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @HiradeGirl, was it Juan?