OblivionReign

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks to the help of @TheCyberQuake with his godmode9 script and sleeplz editor this is much quicker with my tool in the latest release.

WARNING:
This will affect your HomeMenu, it's a critical core of the 3DS. Be sure to have a HardMod/NTRBoot, or A9LH/Boot9Strap NAND backup ready to recover a BRICK I used it once, I got a brick the second time I did it. A9LH saved me (TO AVOID BRICKING PLEASE KEEP YOUR BACK UP FROM JUST BEFORE THE EDIT) . Or your can do it on your EmuNand, but be sure to also backup your EmuNand before.

◘ Download: My master zip folder which comes with everything you need.

◘ Make sure you have the latest GodMode9 Installed https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/releases

◘ Copy Mod_HomeMenu.gm9 from the zip onto your 3ds SD card in the gm9/scripts folder

◘ Place your SD back into your 3ds, and boot into godmode9

◘ Once godemode9 boots, press the home button, go to scripts, and run Mod_HomeMenu

◘ When prompted, select "Grab CIA"

◘ Godmode9 will work it's magic, and create HomeMenu.cia in gm9/out on your SD

◘ Power off your 3ds, and insert your SD into your computer

◘ Copy the HomeMenu.cia from your SD card (gm9/out) to the homemenuedition folder you extracted from the zip earlier

◘ Now simply run my Home Menu Tool i provided from within that folder and it will list you all steps. For convenience i added an option to do all at once so extract rebuild and decompress all the LZ files at once. and auto place the file when done everything back into your SD card.

◘ Now you do your edits.
For sleep.LZ colour edits (the power off screen) you can simply use the SleepLZColorEditor Tool found within the MenuDump pack.
You can set your own colours, or use either one of the two provided example colour theme files or another colour theme file you find online

For text edits, You can use MSBT Editor, which is also included in the MenuDump pack.
The file you'll want to open is menu_msbt.LZ, found in the ExtractedRomFS/message/(your language) folder.
for the sleep menu (the power off screen we color edit above) You'll want to edit the lau_press_pow* strings

◘ Go back to your home menu tool prompt that is still running, and press any key to continue

◘ The files will get recompressed, and rebuilt back into a CIA, and then automatically copied to your 3ds SD card if it's still in the computer

◘ If it doesn't automatically copy, then manually copy the HomeMenu_edited.cia into the gm9/out folder on your SD card

◘ Boot into Godmode9. Press the home button, then select scripts, and run Mod_HomeMenu

◘ When prompted, select "Install", and then select the home menu cia you wish to install. It will ask if you want to create a sysNAND backup first. I recommend doing this the first time you run the script. Once the script completes, you can reboot

♥ Reboot. Then pray or have A9LH/B9S. Check if you see your edits.

◘ xXx If your console successfully boots, then congrats! You now have a custom home menu!

If your console doesn't boot, then don't worry! TheCyberQuakes script is designed to be as safe as possible, and we have a contingency plan for this!

Boot into godmode9, press home button, select scripts, and run Mod_HomeMenu. Select Restore when prompted

That's it! Now your home menu should be back to it's original version (or whatever version it was when you first ran the install_homemenu script). You can also use this step to remove your edits at any point if you want to.

Full instructions to editing your home menu and shutdown screens of your 3DS can be found in the ReadME on my github :) https://github.com/Arch9SK7/MenuDump/releases

Last edited by OblivionReign,

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nice

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im going to assume that if something went wrong, B9S could prevent bricks correct?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im going to assume that if something went wrong, B9S could prevent bricks correct?
Yes. when using my Mod_HomeMenu script, it asks to do a backup when you go to install your modified home menu. I highly recommend doing that the first time you install a modification as an absolute worst case backup.
But the script also creates a backup of your original home menu, and thus it should be as simple as using the restore function.
Right now it only copies the backup to SD, I'll be updating the script to also save a backup to the NAND as a second location where you won't be likely to delete it on accident.
And even without a nand backup, there is always the option to do a ctrnand transfer to save the console if restoring fails and you don't have a nand backup.

Reactions: OblivionReign

OblivionReign

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yes. when using my Mod_HomeMenu script, it asks to do a backup when you go to install your modified home menu. I highly recommend doing that the first time you install a modification as an absolute worst case backup.
But the script also creates a backup of your original home menu, and thus it should be as simple as using the restore function.
Right now it only copies the backup to SD, I'll be updating the script to also save a backup to the NAND as a second location where you won't be likely to delete it on accident.
And even without a nand backup, there is always the option to do a ctrnand transfer to save the console if restoring fails and you don't have a nand backup.
Mind letting me know when you do that so i can grab the updated script from ya for an update? I just don't believe you have it on github atm.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mind letting me know when you do that so i can grab the updated script from ya for an update? I just don't believe you have it on github atm.
I'm going to do a pull request on your github with the updated files. If you don't mind, I would also like to add a couple example SleepLZ color theme files as well.

Reactions: OblivionReign

OblivionReign

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I also updated my guide to reflect the changes and to go a bit more in depth with the actual editing (which I plan to add on to a bit in the future)
If you want to you can pull the extra details from it and I can set mine to be deleted
Well that is up to you :o if you still want yours up.

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I checked out these tools after you showed me the LZ decompressor. Is there any chance you could post a screenshot or two of what those green and purple Sleep screens look like? That would help give a better understanding of which things change colour.

I could always try one of them myself; just hoping to save a bit of time. ;)

One of my own projects was to change the dark red "3" (#AA0000) in a game's LogoLZ.bin, I tried hex-editing the CLYT but it always crashes on boot... Maybe I need to study how your tools make the colour edits.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My sleeplz color editor is literally just doing hex edits. It's just a gui that does hex edits automatically instead of manually.
If you look at my github I have the source there if you are interested though.

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My sleeplz color editor is literally just doing hex edits. It's just a gui that does hex edits automatically instead of manually.
If you look at my github I have the source there if you are interested though.
Cool, well, I don't need to look at the source. I'll just compare the before and after SleepLZ files to see exactly which bytes are changed. That's most likely where I've gone wrong.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, well, I don't need to look at the source. I'll just compare the before and after SleepLZ files to see exactly which bytes are changed. That's most likely where I've gone wrong.
The bytes changed won't match up between different files. Offsets for sleep_LZ won't work for anything other than sleep_LZ

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TheCyberQuake, I'd appreciate very much if you could lend your expertise and check out the latest post on my original thread about editing the loading screen. If nothing stands out as immediately wrong, or if the proper method is way more complicated, then please don't worry about it; this is not an important project. :P

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I don't now that much lol. Most of what I've used has been pulled from public documentation.
TheCyberQuake, I'd appreciate very much if you could lend your expertise and check out the latest post on my original thread about editing the loading screen. If nothing stands out as immediately wrong, or if the proper method is way more complicated, then please don't worry about it; this is not an important project. :P

OblivionReign

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

I havent actually seen what the two colour examples Quake provided look like but this here is the pokeball theme colour example i put in the latest release with them. If this gives you any idea?
received_2399733870044206.jpeg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto