Edge Magazine releases Top 100 games of all time list

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by T-hug, Aug 30, 2017.

1. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    This so-called list is as jacked up as RX Vega prices are at the time of this writing.

2. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    I'm not too sure about that. Obviously, I was still a baby when OOT came out so I can't say you're wrong.
    However, BOTW (in my opinion) has no real glaring flaws.
    But, arguments involving opinions and nothing else are no fun. So I'll leave it at that.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Alas the N64 era internet is a bit hazy these days (to say nothing of dead tree still having relevance, and even teletext) or I would try linking some stuff. I am sure you have seen similar things with reviews of COD and such (it's not a bad way to shoot someone in the face but you can have just as much fun with these older games and other current ones type thing).

Did you see the "one month on are you still playing BOTW?" threads and articles? So much of that was "yeah I have stopped, could collect the seeds but really can't be arsed" and that itself is a flaw. I still maintain the degradation system was handled atrociously, the mini shrine thing was far from tip top, the slowdowns seem to have been mostly fixed and the graphics were better than the awful pre release screens and footage, likewise it seems many of the silly bugs which never should have been have been squashed or mitigated, and most of the rest was second rate skyrim with a bit of assassin's creed thrown in.
    Going further if asked the question what would I change within reason and the answer is not minor streamlining (much of what I said above I would fix, combat I would make a bit more fulfilling -- much as I am not a great fan of hyrule warriors that was a better fighting engine.

Spin it another way. Rather than top ?? games would you feel compelled to include BOTW on a list of core/fundamental games to have played to really get this gaming lark? It would not be the worst choice, there being many out and out broken options to pick from, but I would substitute almost any PS360 open world game for this and not think twice. Equally nothing can be all things to all men but I find there are enough of them out there rubbed the wrong way by BOTW, the biggest being people play games to feel, for want of a better term, hard where this just beats you down all the time without even pulling off a * souls style mastery/I deserved to get smacked down for not paying attention type situation. Or a subtle variation on the theme -- someone of the right disposition tells me they have not played skyrim and I would feel the need to correct that, would not for BOTW just like I might for say Two Worlds II (a game I would happily sub for BOTW in the previous contemplation).

4. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Super Monkey Ball? lmao.

5. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Why would people still be playing an adventure game that isn't multiplayer, a month after? I didn't play TP/WW/OOT/GTAV/Witcher 3 or Dark Souls 3 (While it does have multiplayer, it's still much more of a solo game) a month after launch.

I have to disagree there, Hyrule Warriors was a boring hack and slash, all one had to do was mash Y while in BOTW you'd be dead by doing so.

Sure I would.

Would you say that these people are a sizeable minority or a very vocal one?
    I don't play Zelda games for difficulty, and I doubt anyone familiar with the series should. The last hard Zelda was the very first.

6. smile72

smile72 NewsBot

Sep 23, 2010
    ???
    I really wanna make a big comment about this list but I have no time. So I'll just say this list is garbage and completely subjective (those all lists are to some extent subjective of course).

Last edited by smile72, Sep 1, 2017
  7. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    This list is a lot of garbage though
    yes most are good games, but their order or even their place in the list is pure bs
    and BOTW n°1 ? yeah no

8. Big Man Tyrone2

Big Man Tyrone2 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2016
    United States
    Fates is on the list, but Awakening isn't.

Haha, no.

9. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Top 10 isn't JRPGs so this is bs.

10. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    [insert favourite game here] isn't on the list, this list sucks.

11. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    True

12. l13f4k3

l13f4k3 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2010
    Cote d'Ivoire
    no broodwar? mo melee? what's this crap

13. Condarkness

Condarkness GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2008
    United States
    Quite honestly, this is one of the worst lists I've ever seen. GOD AWFUL!

14. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'm thinking of making a thread inviting people to post their own top 100. I'm genuinely curious to see what tempers have on their list (aside the few mentionings that probably are in their top 10's).

However, such a thread would require me to give the proper example, and I don't have the time to properly dedicate throwing together such a list myself.

15. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I think top 100 is too much for one person.
    After the first 20 they would be all more or less like "I kind of liked it the same as the previous one"

16. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    If honestly be more interested in seeing what people think the top 10 important games are and why. It's a little more reasoned than people just listing their favourite games (which we may love but aren't necessarily important in the grand scheme of gaming). Some of the suggestions in this very thread have been seriously from the leftfield.

Taleweaver likes this.
  17. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Tell me about it (I'm in the process of listing up my favorite horror movies. it's like comparing apples to oranges at times :P ).

But the reason for a top 100 isn't by coincidence. Of course games can usually shift 10-20 spots (especially in the back of the list) depending on the mood of the creator, but even so there can be drawn parallels and meta-scores when you compare it to other lists.

That's also an interesting take. A bit controversial, though (I would probably name wii sports and snake for the old nokia, for example). But hey...at least that is doable. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

18. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    I think for me, a list of the top 10 important games would contain those that established and pioneered key developments that paved the way for the games we have today.

For example, Super Mario 64 cemented the way we control characters on a 3D plane. Doom transformed the first person shooter from being a glorified dungeon crawler to pioneering texture mapping, shadowing, multiple planes and levels etc., Grand Theft Auto 3 laid the foundations for any game that involves traversing across large cities, Zelda: Ocarina of Time was hugely influential as an epic adventure game of such scale, even Tomb Raider - basically every third person adventure game ever from Uncharted to Assassin's Creed to Horizon to even The Last of Us use the basic foundations established by the original Tomb Raider. Super Mario Brothers obviously established jumping as a fundimental element of character control.

How many of those above games would make my top 10 favourite games? Probably only Doom. These games have all been bettered, but these are key games that the industry today was built upon. Were they even the first games in the genre? Often not. But they were the ones that cemented the formula.

In that sense, ome of the suggestions in this thread are seriously random. My favourite JPRG is Grandia, but it wouldn't make even my top 100 list of important games.

19. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Heh...nice mentions. I've just finished writing my thread, but I had chosen my games before I read your reply (meaning: it's coincidence we've got three cross-overs).

20. bonefix

bonefix Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2017
    United States
    they should have released a full list of every game they considered in order... weird pics near the bottom of that list, i'd like to see what got cut