Edge Magazine releases Top 100 games of all time list

IMG_20170830_151046.jpg

Renowned UK gaming industry magazine EDGE has updated it's top 100 games of all time list for 2017:

Welcome to the 2017 edition of The 100 Greatest Videogames. If you’re not familiar with the format, here are our rules. In compiling this list, we worked to simple criteria: all formats – portable, touchscreen, console, PC, whatever – were eligible; we could include only a single entry from any series that features straight-up sequels; and each game had to stand up today rather than making the cut for reasons of nostalgia or historic significance.

Not all of the games featured here are new, however. In fact, some of the most invigorating parts of the curation process involved pulling out and replaying a number of the most seasoned titles from the Edge archives. Hopefully this much-argued-over collection will inspire you in the same way.

100. Super Hexagon
99. Her Story
98. Super Monkey Ball
97. Final Fantasy XII
96. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
95. Hyper Light Drifter
94. Katamari Damacy
93. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
92. Resogun
91. Puzzle Bobble
90. F-Zero GX
89. The Sims 3
88. R-Type Final
87. Elite: Dangerous
86. Bomberman
85. StarCraft II
84. Pac-Man: Championship Edition
83. BioShock
82. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
81. Puzzle & Dragons
80. Tearaway
79. League of Legends
78. Super Meat Boy
77. Xenoblade Chronicles
76. OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast
75. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
74. Civilization IV
73. Battlefield 4
72. Metroid Prime
71. Hearthstone
70. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
69. Limbo
68. Towerfall Ascension
67. EarthBound
66. Batman: Arkham Knight
65. Transistor
64. Puyo Puyo
63. FTL: Advanced Edition
62: Persona 4 Golden
61. Mass Effect 2
60. Okami
59. The Stanley Parable
58. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
57. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
56. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
55. Far Cry 4
54. Titanfall 2
53. Doom (2016)
52. Trials Fusion
51. Nidhogg
50. Fez
49. Overwatch
48. Super Mario 3D World
47. Journey
46. Dead Space
45. Dota 2
44. Vanquish
43. Super Mario Maker
42. Fire Emblem Fates
41. Inside
40. Shadow of the Colossus
39. Halo 3
38. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
37. Spelunky
36. Destiny
35. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
34. Kerbal Space Program
33. Dishonored
32. Splatoon
31. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
30. Rock Band 3
29. The Last Guardian
28. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
27. Ico
26. Super Metroid
25. Demon's Souls
24. Horizon: Zero Dawn
23. Advance Wars
22. The Witness
21. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
20. Ultra Street Fighter IV
19. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
18. Rez Infinite
17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
16. Super Mario World
15. Red Dead Redemption
14. Super Mario 64
13. Portal
12. Bayonetta 2
11. Minecraft
10. Resident Evil 4
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Tetris
6. Half-Life 2
5. Bloodborne
4. The Last of Us
3. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Dark Souls
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

How many have you played?
I'm sitting at 89/100!

:arrow:Source: Neogaf

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I'd disagree, personally. It's the only game I've played where you can play it for hundreds of hours and not have it get old.

That is a Fair point. But this just proves why these "video game ranking lists" should be taken with a grain of salt. I usually look through them for a laugh to see which games other people rank as top tier which i would call crap tier. I think wayyyyyyyy too many people take these rankings as biblical prophecies and just need to relax and understand that "all that matters is how, THEY themselves perceive said games". Debating why or why not a game is good is okay since its healthy. But outright slamming someone for ranking a game which you like isn't. (at least in my opinion)

I personally dont rank games in a numerical format. But instead i just categorize them under one of the following:

Amazing E.G Persona/Final Fantasy/GTA/ Zelda BOTW etc..........

Great E.G God of war Series

Good E.G Just Dance Series

Okay E.G Monster hunter Series

Dont like it at all E.G The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky Trilogy

Absolute trash (NOT come across a really shitty game yet) Although i hear Shaq Fu is hated.... :O

Also The games i listed in the examples above are my own personal preferences which i get many will disagree with but that is cool.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
People should also understand that 'best games' and 'most important games' are different things. The while both are subjective to an extent, the latter requires a demonstratable impact on game development.

So for me, a top 5 most important games list would include games like Doom, Super Mario 64, Street Fighter 2, Ocarina of Time etc. even if they are not my personal favourite games.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I stop reading at Fates because I know Nintendo pay for this list.

If anything Rune Factory 4 worth a spot more than that game ever could.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This list looks like a creation of a writer that doesn't even play videogames... FFXII as best FF game, Metal Gear Solid V TPP best MG game, LoZ BoTW as best game, and no Chrono Trigger? Maybe it's a good thing I've never heard of that magazine before...

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This list looks like a creation of a writer that doesn't even play videogames... FFXII as best FF game, Metal Gear Solid V TPP best MG game, LoZ BoTW as best game, and no Chrono Trigger? Maybe it's a good thing I've never heard of that magazine before...
You've never heard of a 25 year old magazine with the second largest circulation of any gaming magazine in the world?

It's one thing to be upset because X favourite game isn't in the list - I don't agree with most of the list either, but why don't we explain why they should be there?

Last edited by sj33,

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Pfffffft

No Doom 2? Rigged.

I have only played 42 of them...

As usual, some of these are questionable to say the least.

Agree - how the hell is Half-life 2 (originally release between 2004-2007) higher up than Minecraft - a game that's constantly being updated

[FYI in case you couldn't guess... these are MY most favorite games]

D

Deleted User

Thats soooo stupid. 2 zelda games on the top 10, and we all know that not EVERYBODY likes botw that much.... but I guess they had to because if they didnt then they will be down a moment later.. damn I hate zelda fanboys.. (just for the record- I completed every zelda I had access to so i am a fan but I do respect others' opinions unlike many others..). I dont think it should be above gta v, minecraft (which is the best selling game ever for every plat it is on) and actually now that I looked on the list- it shouldnt be on top ten at all... it doesnt sell as good as them and only reason it has high score is because ZLDA DUH

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I like this list better.
At least it has Chrono Trigger.
They didnt put in chrono trigger, but this hexagon game is on the list?? Wtf

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...there are things to like and to dislike on the list. The most positive is that there are indie titles on it. Like them or not, but I feel like a lot of lists only take picks from large studios.
The dislike is that they don't follow their own criteria of only including one entry in any series (or at least they're very loose with it). Super Mario land 3D isn't THAT different from SMG2, and I doubt all the souls games differ from each other enough to warrant so many entries.
Something I'm rather neutral about is the lack of innovators. Games like pong, wii sports, the original doom's and street fighter 2 can't really be excluded. Not because there aren't better games since then but because they paved the way for what came next.

So all in all, this comes across mostly as a personal preferences list (something akin to what I create at the end of each year). That would also explain some huge misses in genres (hardly any RTS, visual novel, run 'n gun FPS or even a mobile game on the list).

I'm at around 45 or 46 (have just played the original Mario kart 8...does that count? :unsure: ). But about half of these I just played probably less than halfway through...which includes BotW.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why do all these review sites suck off botw so hard
like the game is pretty fun, but if that's the best game ever created then there's a pretty low standard for amazement

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This list is all kinds of ****.

Just a cursory glance shows too many newer (less than 5 year old) games on it.

Anything newer should have been disqualified until it had time to be looked back on critically and not be in a honeymoon period (BotW, Her Story, Hyper Light Drifter, Nidhogg?!?)

If they're going to fawn over newer titles then where's something like Shovel Knight which has been universally praised as a modern classic?

Did a search for two of the most well respected PC games System Shock 2 & Deus Ex and nothing, yet Bioshock is on the list which isn't nearly as revered is here and Dishonored places very high, a game that stands on the shoulders of those two seminal titles.

Doom 2016 makes it, but not Doom 1?

R Type Final is the best Shmup of all time....I seriously (and many others too) would disagree a lot.

Shadow of the Colossus lower ranked than Ico and Last Guardian(?) that is debatable (and I love Ico).

The Wind Waker at 31? and Why so many Zelda titles what was there 5 of them? Same with the Souls titles, why did we need (at least) 3 of them? They're all basically the same game...5 mario titles and they put Mario Maker (a game with limited appeal if you don't create a level) on there and again not what most consider the best game Mario 3?

Not disputing the quality of Bayonetta 2, but since when did I hear everyone raving about it in the last few years....yeah never, right.

I've seen better lists, and this isn't one of them.

Wow this list has some zingers on it, if they were aiming for controversial they succeeded, if they went for a quality list they failed...hard. (about 40% on the list are very debatable and not something that most would agree on at all)

Again too many newer titles on the list, took none of the classics into account that are still as highly playable and polished as they were when released, there's too much in recent memory and not what makes a good game represented here.

Last edited by mario5555,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm telling on you