OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The other day I burnt a copy of Diego Dinosaur rescue (yeah, yeah, I've got kids).
I accidentally used a DVD+R. I only noticed this after I succesfully ran the game?

How is this possible?
wacko.gif
I assumed that I could only use DVD-R on the Wii.

I have a softmodded Wii. Recently used Waninkoko's 4.0 upgrader.
I haven't changed the book type for my DVD burner
I have previously installed DVDx

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Some dvd burner/software combinations do change the booktype for DVD+Rs automatically. And maybe there are very few games that work without the bitsetting.

raptir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used DVD+Rs on my PS2 and my Wii. I just used imgBurn's default settings. I've never had an issue with any games.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
NO not again! DVD+Rs need the bitsetting. If you didn't do it, you are lucky that your pc does it automatically. That's it. Or if you use a modchip, you don't need it, but 90% if the people here don't have a modchip.

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that IMGBurn must be doing it automatically, because I always have been using DVD+R's. You just made me check, and I never even noticed. They all work fine without changing any settings, and I too use IMGBurn. But why would IMGBurn be automatically doing that? Is IMGBurn designed for Wii game pirates?

P.S. My 100th post!
smile.gif

Zeek03

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
No one ever said Wii games can't run off of DVD+R. People just say use Dvd-R because alot of noobs don't know how to change booktype. I have burned plenty of games on DVD+R and -R. It doesn't really matter...

rAiN mAn 2o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have burned thousands of DVD's in my life time for one purpose or another... and not a single one of them has ever been a dvd-r!!! all of my backups of my games are DVD+R.. burned with either nero 7 or imgburn... never had a single problem...

Hedgehogofchaos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my dvd+r have a slightly less space for data on them then my isos how would you fit this iso thats to big for a dvd+r on a dvd+r? can i compress it somehow?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
You can find out easily enough which booktype your disc has after the burn - grab DVDINFOPRO...

I've never had problems with DVD+R and DVD+R booktype on wasabi or wiikey mod chips... but have had issues with Drivekey.

Wiipower is probably right - if you have a mod chip which injects code in to the controller... (ie - pre-drivekey/flatmod/wasabidx/sunkey...) you can get away with +R booktype - otherwise not.

Bitsetting is a function of drive firmware, depending on your drive, imgburn may or may not be able to set it.

QUOTE said:
Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID CMC MAG E01
Media Product Revision Number 00h
Application id
Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R

capuuz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have used dvd+Rs and they have worked great without changing the book type or any other setting.

Posts merged

I also have used dvd+Rs and they have worked great without changing the book type or any other setting.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I said:

WiiPower said:
NO not again! DVD+Rs need the bitsetting. If you didn't do it, you are lucky that your pc does it automatically. That's it. Or if you use a modchip, you don't need it, but 90% if the people here don't have a modchip.

Seriously, we don't need the discussion that the need for bitsetting on DVD+Rs is a myth. I thought we are past that. Stop posting the 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
00 time that DVD+Rs work fine.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The issues and answers thread that has been there from the beginning states on page 1 :

Code:
Every single new person to the scene asks about discs. Use DVD-R discs as they are most reliable. DVD re-writables dont work 90% of the time and its best to totally avoid them if u dont want headaches. DVD+R can work , but its not a guarantee and you may waste a lot of discs trying to get them working. The best brand recommended by almost everyone is Verbatim DVD-R. Use the free program IMGBurn to burn the ISO at Max speed to being - any issues try reducing the speed (usually older drives) .
*Addition to above* - David has written a new write up on burning DVDs for Wii including software, do's and donts , speeds and everything else you will need here : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=129239

All of this has been said over and over and over - the OP has just assumed and not does his research. someone close this thread - its pointless.

rAiN mAn 2o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
The issues and answers thread that has been there from the beginning states on page 1 :

Code:
Every single new person to the scene asks about discs. Use DVD-R discs as they are most reliable. DVD re-writables dont work 90% of the time and its best to totally avoid them if u dont want headaches. DVD+R can work , but its not a guarantee and you may waste a lot of discs trying to get them working. The best brand recommended by almost everyone is Verbatim DVD-R. Use the free program IMGBurn to burn the ISO at Max speed to being - any issues try reducing the speed (usually older drives) .
*Addition to above* - David has written a new write up on burning DVDs for Wii including software, do's and donts , speeds and everything else you will need here : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=129239

All of this has been said over and over and over - the OP has just assumed and not does his research. someone close this thread - its pointless.

if you find it pointless, then why are you taking the time to add your two cents? I just find that funny. talking about doing your research... DVD+R is superior to -r when it comes to compatibility and lifespan due to the complexity of the ink compounds within the disc...

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rAiN mAn 2o0o said:
if you find it pointless, then why are you taking the time to add your two cents? I just find that funny. talking about doing your research... DVD+R is superior to -r when it comes to compatibility and lifespan due to the complexity of the ink compounds within the disc...

Myself and others have answered this issue over 50 times on the issues and answers thread (and others) already , and every time someone posts we say the same thing, and yet more post again , and we still answer. If he had done a quick search he would find multiple discussions about this with graphs , statistics and proof of quite a lot.

As for research , yes i have done mine and though on a PC DVD+R gets better statistics , on a wii it generally fails. You can have 2 wii's modded the same way and a DVD+R will work on one and not on another with no apparrent difference at all, though DVD-R will work on both. Its not the Discs , its the Wii dvd readers that cause the issues , so even though the discs may be superior, a lot of wii's doesnt like them and recommending them can cause people hours and hours of headaches just because someone told them dvd+r discs work.

Again , this has been discussed and discussed and discussed and the conclusion every time is the same - DVD+r's do work on some wii's but not all and as such are not good to be recommended for general usage as dvd-r work on all with a decent brand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.