Hardware DV6 Core i7 …Please advise..

samatha_smith

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys
This is my first post so please be nice to me. I came across with this $999 DV6 Core i7 laptop @ kingwork.com.au. I am looking for high-end laptops and it seems that this is quite good and fits my budget. Do you guys have any thought on this or similar laptops with lower price ? Not very keen on sandy bridge models though. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks mate.
http://www.kingwork.com.au/catalog/products.php?52

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I would like to know why you're averse to Sandy Bridge models.

That aside, it has good specs and should do quite well for most tasks. Just beware of three significant flaws that are almost certainly going to pop up: firstly, it'll be loaded with bloat/junk-ware. Secondly, it'll probably run very hot, and possibly end up with heating problems. Finally, HP customer support may just be the worst in the world.

So long as you know how to take care of a laptop (i.e. cleaning it out, etc), you should be fine.

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
I was tempted by the latest offerings by HP because they look good on paper but after talking to people I heard about problems with them failing, and HP have hit and miss tech support. The listed components seem good but their arrangement in the case and the motherboards they insert these components into seem to be prone to problems, and even the displays have problems often. If you are one of the lucky ones and win a working machine it is a decent deal, but playing games is best done on a DS.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Statistically, 15-25% (depending on brand) of all laptops will have a major fault occur within 3 years of purchase. HP are in the higher end. My experience is slightly different - laptops with design flaws (like my 2 HP laptops) are prone to getting problems, but if you take the effort to keep your laptop maintained, it will last a long time.

As such, one of the first things I do when I get a high-end laptop is replace the thermal paste and check the condition of the cooling system (heatpipes, heatsinks, and fans) to try and anticipate what problems may arise in future. These steps and regular cleaning sessions (both for the software and the hardware) and nothing should go wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-