Hardware Dumb Question About Charging Controllers

TheDerpyDolphin

Derp.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the Wii U can only charge the Pro Controller if the console is on. This would be fine if the controller didn’t take hours and hours to charge, forcing me to leave the console of for an extended period of time with little to no use in order to get a full charge.

Would it harm the Pro Controller’s battery to plug it into my Switch dock to charge there? The Switch dock doesn’t have to be on to charge and takes way less electricity. I don’t know a whole lot about rechargeable batteries but I do know they wear out faster if not treated well. I also looked beforehand to see if Wii U and Switch controllers use the same batteries but didn’t find any clear info. Sorry if this question is beyond dumb but I just want my controllers to last as long as possible.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The controller responsible for charging the battery is inside your controller. From USB it just gets 5V. Where it gets these 5V from doesn't matter, as long as it can deliver enough current. As the Wii U itself can only output 500mA, which is USB spec, anything with a USB port should be good enough to charge the pro controller
Post automatically merged:

You don't have to use the console to charge the controller. None fast charger for phone will charge it just fine as well.
Even a fast charger should work, as they also start at 5V and only go up if the device requests it.

Reactions: Ryccardo

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
This is really off-topic but still related to charge. Would it be possible to have a custom charger that limits how much mAhs it provides? I have read that the slower the charge, the better is for battery longevity since less heat is produced while charging.
Does anyone know about a charger that let's you set how much current can provide?
I'm looking for something like 250-300mAh, I often leave my phone charging overnight (8 hours) and it always reaches 100% by a long shot charging at a rate of 500mAh. The goal is to have a slower than 0.5A charge so the battery isn't fully charged when I wake up (say, to around 80%). This is also to improve battery longevity, since batteries gets stressed when fully charged (4.2v)
Thanks!

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would it be possible to have a custom charger that limits how much mAhs it provides?
That would probably interfer with the controllers build-in charging limitter.

I have read that the slower the charge, the better is for battery longevity since less heat is produced while charging.
That's way to simplified. There are way more things than just heat to take in mind and it has a reason all modern phones do fast-charing and recommended that as the best for the batteries.
Also pretty sure a 4.7 V LiPo battery won't get hot with 500 mA max.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps