Hacking DSTWO Linux Beta1.0 release

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, I am awaiting my DStwo still or else I would do it myself, I am using the Bios free dingux z4. I was wondering if anyone could test the files in this Rar I made on their DSTwo, (it's set up to Autoboot thanks to Sirocyl.) I will change the filetrip link to public If it works on a Fat32 32K cluster windows formatted card, for the people who are confused by the guide I linked earlier :P Warning, It's 124MB. due to the dingux z4 being included from the ismartmm package(also on filetrip)
Link
Thanks to anyone who helps.

GeorgeFoulds

BrokenGeode
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MUH LINUX! I've used ports of it for various flashcarts/consoles before and I really want different Distros for it. Because for me it's not complete till it's loaded with a copy Gentoo or Debian.

sirocyl

Are we Geniuses or what?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys, For those of you who can't figure out the autoboot setup mentioned by sirocyl. I compiled THIS
I take No credit for any of the work, other than bundling+uploading It :)
Thanks for doing what I didn't have the time for. :)

MUH LINUX! I've used ports of it for various flashcarts/consoles before and I really want different Distros for it. Because for me it's not complete till it's loaded with a copy Gentoo or Debian.
I have a feeling you come from /g/. But I agree with you completely. I'm awaiting source code, is all.

ALSO: I want to make a port of Rockbox to the SCDSTWO. It uses a similar Ingenic chipset as the Onda VX747, and development is already started on that platform. I don't want to have to reverse-engineer the bootloader, that'll take a lot of time. D:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IngenicJz47xx for more information. Contains some insights and datasheets about the CPU.

GeorgeFoulds

BrokenGeode
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a feeling you come from /g/. But I agree with you completely. I'm awaiting source code, is all.
You felt right. I promise you we're not all complete assholes though, as 4chan is often portrayed. Also, a Rockbox port would be amazing, I don't see why you would particularily want to play music on a DS (No offence) but a good audio player for the SCDSTWO would be brilliant.

sirocyl

Are we Geniuses or what?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You felt right. I promise you we're not all complete assholes though, as 4chan is often portrayed. Also, a Rockbox port would be amazing, I don't see why you would particularily want to play music on a DS (No offence) but a good audio player for the SCDSTWO would be brilliant.

It's cool. I'm known there for my phone running Plan 9, on both the Application and Baseband cores. Took some Qualcomming around to get it to work, but it works. My latest projects are basically, Windows 8 on the HP Touchpad, and expanding upon this Linux loader, if/when I get the source code. I've already got a kernel sorta booting, but I'm really waiting on the kernel source code. It is GPL, and mandatory that it be released.

@ tysong: If hosting is a problem, you can send it directly to me, and I'll be more than glad to re-host it.

slenkar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can dingux switch between 2 apps without losing their state?
e.g. android switching from one app to another.

Also do games made with OpenGL run slowly on the DSTWO?

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found my old microSD card, I am testing it on that now.

Turns out it was my MicroSD card that was problem.

It's an interesting start, right now the emulators are only working so-so. Hopefully once the hardware gets better support, so will the emulators and homebrews.

I can't wait to see what the future can bring to this project.
Sorry, late post, but I just ordered a Supercard DSTWO. (Also own Supercard DS1 SDHC and a CycloDS Evo).

Anyways stuff for the zero WILL have hard floating point enabled as the version of OD built for the zero has hardfloat enabled thus rendering them incompatible(w/o recompiling) with whatever version of Dingux this is using. The Zero is built around the JZ4770(FPU + GPU) while the DS2 apparently has the JZ4740(more or less what the Dingoo A320 had, which lacks both the FPU and GPU units).

As to getting help from dingoonity I'll hazard that it'll be more along the lines of you're going to have to go with the older stuff meant for the A320 which probably won't be getting alot of attention any longer, as it seems focus with shift to the Zero.

Yes, the psx emu for the A320 was kind of crappy but it ran the 2D strat/RPGs that I tried OK albeit w/o sound since it doesn't support sound. This was never ported to OD.

I'm still on page 1 of this thread, so if this is a repeat of anything so far, sorry. I'll add any questions I have once I've slogged through the thread to see if they're answered anywhere in the following pages.

(Awaiting my SE, personally.)

[EDIT]
Oops, quoted wrong post... stupid new site sw...

Anyways does this only make use of the onboard DS2 RAM? Or will it also find/us the DS RAM/exp RAM if available?
[/EDIT2]

laserjock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get this to work, I follow the text to the letter with the included files, though I don't understand the naming "dingux", are there files I supposed to use instead of those in the included download? Is there anything missing in the instructions in the "dslinuxinstall.txt" file?

mad008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks fore this port!

A small test report;

The “FBA” emulator (without sound):
- Marvel vs Capcom
- Street fighter alpha 3
- King of fighters 98
- Super gem fighters
- Vampire savior 2
(all work good)

PS psx4all:
- Oddworld Abe oddysee (works good only thing missing is the “sneak” and whistle options) use the cheat to make the sounds and you can play trow the hole game with 2 saves Thad need to be made by a other PSX emu where you can sneak, to past the 2 parts ware you must sneak.
- Twisted metal 2 (works good)
(bios used 7502)

Scummvm: mouse not updating its movements (at the main menu).

Transplant games:
- OpenJazz (Works with sound)
- OpenTtd (works, hard to see what your selecting)

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
too bad its not a bit more optimized. i hope that tysong will release the source eventually.

from what ive read and from testing a bit (LOL cant believe im playing Donpachi and Progear on my DS), the FBA emulator doesnt slow down with sound enabled.

heres a list of what ive got runnin' on the Dingux port. gianas return and pokemini are slow, but the rest goes decently.
13522-DSTingux.png

TitusTheFox, Bubble dizzy, Cave Story(no music), and NickyBoum2 are also working on my card.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
too bad its not a bit more optimized. i hope that tysong will release the source eventually.

from what ive read and from testing a bit (LOL cant believe im playing Donpachi and Progear on my DS), the FBA emulator doesnt slow down with sound enabled.

heres a list of what ive got runnin' on the Dingux port. gianas return and pokemini are slow, but the rest goes decently.
13522-DSTingux.png

TitusTheFox, Bubble dizzy, Cave Story(no music), and NickyBoum2 are also working on my card.

Can you link me to a Cave Story Dingux port?

sirocyl

Are we Geniuses or what?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it should be noted that we have had 1 report so far of zelda roth freezing, and now that ds2 is bricked.

Bricked as in, the firmware can still be flashed using the dstwoupdateb.dat file, or using another flashcart and swap-loading it? I didn't think it was possible, unless the boot block is corrupted in DSTWO's own flash.

Perhaps we should discontinue using this until either a fix is made, or some source is provided, so that we can debug it ourselves.
I, for one, am disassembling the loader code, and hope to make an open-source ds2loader.
Also, is there any UART/JTAG header on the DSTWO?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
from what he told me it was not detected in the dslite and there was no way to boot it. i've no idea if he tried any other ways to fix it.

the problem might be with the corruption bug found in dingux. it was something that was eventually fixed in open dingux, from what i remember reading.

-another world

P

pasc

I gotta admit:

I'm amazed that Final Fantasy 7 runs so well. (not VERY playable, but quite good enough for a 1.0 release).
So FF7 on DS isn't just a joke anymore :)

Reactions: sirocyl

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to use an updated version of the FBA emulator but Dingux keeps restarting every time I try to load it. Anybody else wanna give it a shot?

And while this thread is being bumped where the heck did Tysong go? Has anybody seen him on some other site or fourm? We're a bit due for the source code and/or updates.

Reactions: sirocyl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning