j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks, they were in the wrong directory I was using a dstwo plugin so I put them in the plugin folder. Just an observation - in the welcome screen the cursors ] and [ do not align with 'Standard game' it aligns with 'Network game' and then to the blank line below it.

EDIT: Just realised its in the todo list, doh!

Yeah I'm posting 1.3 right now which has that fixed anyway so
any chance we can use custom wad? ;p i have the PSX.wad which contains the psx version music. id love to see that.

I think there is something to do with arg files, I was gonna make another menu where you can type command lines. Might do that in 1.4
Also it only plays wads with MUS files only, not mids

Any chance for a 3ds port? You would be a god among gods!
I don't have a gateway or any 3DS homebrew card and theres not finished emulators atm
Maybe in the future if I knew how :creep:

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
without access to my ds for testing, i wanted to ask about the wad selector. does it only run iwads or can you load pwads? the 1.2.1 wintermute update supported pwads via argv, IE: dsdoom.nds -iwad doom2.wad -file KDiP.wad -save KDiP. not all cards support argv (in fact few did) which forced users to launch files via homebrew menu. turning prboom compatible pwads into iwads is a cumbersome and boring task requiring older tools (some DOS based). if you do not support the direct booting and patching of pwad files with their associated doom.wad, perhaps you could add that in a future update.

-another world

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
without access to my ds for testing, i wanted to ask about the wad selector. does it only run iwads or can you load pwads? the 1.2.1 wintermute update supported pwads via argv, IE: dsdoom.nds -iwad doom2.wad -file KDiP.wad -save KDiP. not all cards support argv (in fact few did) which forced users to launch files via homebrew menu. turning prboom compatible pwads into iwads is a cumbersome and boring task requiring older tools (some DOS based). if you do not support the direct booting and patching of pwad files with their associated doom.wad, perhaps you could add that in a future update.

-another world

Yeah I was planning to add a doom command line feature in 1.4
Currently the only way to load pwads is the argv files and perhaps editing prboom.cfg

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
good to know. =)

the wad selector should scan the directory and populate the list of choices based only on what it finds. i realize that common sense should leave no room for error, if not to avoid users asking why some choices don't work, perhaps consider this change just to have a cleaner interface. also, if the wad is not found, pressing any button shuts off my dsi. something i've always found annoying.

beyond that i can not get this to run on the ak2i with akaio 1.9.0. i get a guru meditation error. dsdoom 1.2.1 runs fine, argv is working, etc. i tried all files in root and all files in their own directory. i don't have tools or means to test with any other flash kits or msd cards at this point. so i'll wait to see if other ak2i/akaio users get this running.

i noticed that in your 1st post that the HUD is now on the main screen. one thing i always appreciated about wintermute's port was that the HUD was on the bottom screen along with the auto-map. this left the top screen for just the game graphics. this is just my opinion and the final product is by your design. yet, perhaps something to consider?

-another world

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
good to know. =)

the wad selector should scan the directory and populate the list of choices based only on what it finds. i realize that common sense should leave no room for error, if not to avoid users asking why some choices don't work, perhaps consider this change just to have a cleaner interface. also, if the wad is not found, pressing any button shuts off my dsi. something i've always found annoying.

beyond that i can not get this to run on the ak2i with akaio 1.9.0. i get a guru meditation error. dsdoom 1.2.1 runs fine, argv is working, etc. i tried all files in root and all files in their own directory. i don't have tools or means to test with any other flash kits or msd cards at this point. so i'll wait to see if other ak2i/akaio users get this running.

i noticed that in your 1st post that the HUD is now on the main screen. one thing i always appreciated about wintermute's port was that the HUD was on the bottom screen along with the auto-map. this left the top screen for just the game graphics. this is just my opinion and the final product is by your design. yet, perhaps something to consider?

-another world

Yeah I agree, the WAD selector could've been better by checking first

And for the hud, it was moved to the top while the automap is temporary cut because after the music implementation, it ran a little sluggish so yeah...
The automap was drawing on both screens in the original code (If you changed screen size you can see)
I just moved hud to the top because it was annoying looking down to check how much health you have in my opinion

Off to bed now, 5 mins to 2:00AM

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what sources does this build upon? is this based off the last wintermute update? with argv and dsi-mode support?

-another world
I downloaded the source and built it with the latest libnds and devkitarm tools and I can confirm that it runs in dsi mode on my ievo card.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I agree, the WAD selector could've been better by checking first

And for the hud, it was moved to the top while the automap is temporary cut because after the music implementation, it ran a little sluggish so yeah...
The automap was drawing on both screens in the original code (If you changed screen size you can see)
I just moved hud to the top because it was annoying looking down to check how much health you have in my opinion

Off to bed now, 5 mins to 2:00AM
The automap can still be enabled by turning on console mode in the general settings option menu. This puts the HUD on the bottom as well. I suspect that the automap flashing on both screens is not a product of it rendering twice but rather a background layer for both screens being mapped to the same VRAM. In which case it would not result in any slow downs in framerate. I did not notice any speed difference with it on or off.

Reactions: Kippykip

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i'll give it a try under sudokuhax in dsi-mode later today. i can't seem to get it to run my wad's in ds-mode using my ak2i and akaio. it boots to the selector, i select a wad i know is in the directory, and i get a guru meditation error. i tried different directory configurations, a refomat of the msd card, and even double checked the wad crc32 values.

thanks for the info elhobbs.

-another world

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
The automap can still be enabled by turning on console mode in the general settings option menu. This puts the HUD on the bottom as well. I suspect that the automap flashing on both screens is not a product of it rendering twice but rather a background layer for both screens being mapped to the same VRAM. In which case it would not result in any slow downs in framerate. I did not notice any speed difference with it on or off.

The automap does cause some slowdown in the gameplay itself in the small areas (e.g. Walking around the first door in e1m1 is very smooth but with the automap it is a tinsy bit skippy)
Plans for 1.4
*I wanna try and get the automap on the bottom without it drawing on the top partially and the hud on the top instead of the bottom.
*If you press select the keyboard comes up/down so you can type all the cheats instead what's in general options
*At the start, after the wad selection screen add a thing so you can type arguments e.g. "-warp 31"

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i always liked the configuration of the full graphics on the top of the screen, and the automap and hud on the bottom screen. placing the hud at the top part of the bottom screen keeps it in an at-a-glance position without sacrificing the enjoyment of the full screen graphics. well it is your project, i hope to persuade you to at least include an option to control the hud placement. =)

-another world

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
i always liked the configuration of the full graphics on the top of the screen, and the automap and hud on the bottom screen. placing the hud at the top part of the bottom screen keeps it in an at-a-glance position without sacrificing the enjoyment of the full screen graphics. well it is your project, i hope to persuade you to at least include an option to control the hud placement. =)

-another world

Alright, i'll change it to the old method in the next update ;)

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I instantly launch IWADs with an arg file? It launches fine but when I launch a .WAD from bagplug it gives me a list of all my IWADS and I just want to launch doom2.wad. Does that screen show up because of pwads?
Code:
DSDoom:
"/DSDoom/dsdoom.nds"//file path
[$PRGMPATH$,$FILEPATH$]//arguments are separated by commas
;

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
How can I instantly launch IWADs with an arg file? It launches fine but when I launch a .WAD from bagplug it gives me a list of all my IWADS and I just want to launch doom2.wad. Does that screen show up because of pwads?
Code:
DSDoom:
"/DSDoom/dsdoom.nds"//file path
[$PRGMPATH$,$FILEPATH$]//arguments are separated by commas
;

Yeah the arg files are a little messed up
Especially since the IWAD changer was first added so...
1.4 plans
*Put the automap on the bottom again
*Add a command line function at bootup too
*Fix the arg files with IWADS
*Put a bit of an IWAD checker at the start so it only shows what's there

I'll make 1.4 later though because I'm leaving for this weekend

dma

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wow, after all these years, i finally registered here just to post on this thread, ultra happy to see a new update on DsDoom.
I highly hope the saving-crashes that i was encountering every now and then in v1.2.1 have been fixed through the various updates. :)

Many thanks for working in this KippyKip!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.