Gaming DS Lite flickers and turns off

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have an original DS sitting around that I completely destroyed as a kid trying to do what the OP is doing, but because I had no idea how these things worked, and didn't apparently know what the internet was, I did this:

EXDzmY4.jpg

Yes, that's the ribbon cable and speaker wire... Ripped them right out.

Anyway, if I were to replace those parts, could I do something similar to what's being done here? Is the layout of an original DS any different from a DS Lite? I don't currently have whatever the "Star shaped" screwdriver is that's holding the bottom half togethor, so I can't take a closer look just yet. I just want to know if it's possible.

Also, the bottom screen touch resistor is complete garbage. I ruined that thing as a kid, tapping way to hard and using things as styluses that I should not have. I recently ordered a replacement top screen cover for my 3DS, but they sent me this instead:

wpQDYwL.jpg

Yeah, a touch pad. I don't plan on taking my whole 3DS apart any time soon, so it goes left unused. Is there any chance I could maybe reuse it for my original DS? It's probably a longshot, but worth asking.

Thanks!
no-top-screen has been done of a DS Fat.. Look up how its done, chances are you might not need to replace anything.

The touchscreen won't work on a DS fat. I just looked up pictures of the DS fat touchscreen and the connector seems to be in a different place. (from the side of the screen.) Plus the connector is a different length.

edit: youtube video
(How to) DS Phat with no top screen

The method the guy does seems really complicated though. maybe its less simple doing it to a DS fat instead of DSL but something tells me theres an easier way.

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hope it still works the second time.

The guy removed his DS cart slot so maybe that will help it fit. But I'd like to leave it in there to help protect the motherboard from dust.

When you say bigger resistor, I assume you mean one with longer antenna. You should try to get one with the same values if possible so you'll know it will work. But instead of getting a new resistor you could try connecting wires like the guy in the video did.

I went to radio shack recently, but I forgot what the wires were called. And they might be a bit too thick. Personally I never got the mod to work when using wires so take it with a grain of salt.

So I got it to work by using conductive glue on LED 1 + 2. However when I put the casing together, the components loosen the resistor and it pops off.. So I'm going to keep trying until I get it working.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about this: Gently put electrical tape over the resistor and the connection. This could help preserve it.

I might have done the same on my DSi, can't remember. The problem is if you ever decide to remove the tape, it will be hard to do so without snapping the resistor off. In theory there should no reason for you to remove it once you've confirmed that it works.

But this is what I did on my 3DS XL. I didn't use conductive glue on my 3DS XL, but that made the tape even more important since it was the only thing keeping it in place.

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about this: Gently put electrical tape over the resistor and the connection. This could help preserve it.

I might have done the same on my DSi, can't remember. The problem is if you ever decide to remove the tape, it will be hard to do so without snapping the resistor off. In theory there should no reason for you to remove it once you've confirmed that it works.

But this is what I did on my 3DS XL. I didn't use conductive glue on my 3DS XL, but that made the tape even more important since it was the only thing keeping it in place.

Today I got it to work without the resistor or ribbon cable!
K0dUvXT.jpg
There was a tiny bit of residue from the conductive glue where I pulled off the resistor, when I tested the DS, it worked on its own.

So, thanks to all your help, I put it all back together and it's still working great!
jQhZulZ.jpg

Reactions: Huntereb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021