ROM Hack DS Download Play - Send nds file with Planet Puzzle League

loco365

Trophies
XP
Fishaman P said:
Guys, I know for one thing that Lode Runner (J) is VERY small.

I think it even came untrimmed at 4MB.
I'll look at it later.

I tried to get the place for the Mario Party Bricker- but it seems the admin deleted it. So unless someone has a leftover copy, this might not work.

I also tried to send over the Nintends DS Bios as a .nds and no dice.

I wonder what would happen if we encrypted the .nds?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Team Fail said:
Fishaman P said:

I'll look at it later.

I tried to get the place for the Mario Party Bricker- but it seems the admin deleted it. So unless someone has a leftover copy, this might not work.

I contacted DarkFader to see if I could obtain the r0mloader.zip or r0mloader.nds.

Kiaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wizerzak said:
Cool. Though I still can't see any practical applications for this and I can't see why anyone would want to download a homebrew game...?
unsure.gif

Anyway, I have a load of games under 4MB (which are all crap but hey) the smallest being Billiard Action at 1,983KB (2MB).
Try and see if that works.

Edit: Here's a list of games I have that are under 4MB:
*snip*
I tried Billiard Action (trimmed to 1.93MB), but the game still hangs. It's not just the file limit size problem now.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Fishaman P said:
Team Fail said:
Fishaman P said:

I'll look at it later.

I contacted DarkFader to see if I could obtain the r0mloader.zip or r0mloader.nds.
Ok. I think that they might work (If modified) because it seems to work on lites.

D

Deleted-236924

plasma dragon007 said:
DS has 4mb of RAM. Not gonna pull apart any DLP roms right now, but my guess would be that the download play file is less than 4mb in size. Otherwise... if you try to download play, say, N+, which is still only 8mb (iirc) to the DS... where are the last 4 mb of the rom going?

If you found a DS game, that, when trimmed, was less than 4mb, I would think that would be bootable over download play.

In fact, just for the sake of "why the fuck not?", I would be more interested in seeing if the .srl could be booted off of a flash cart when renamed to a .nds file. Again, it would serve no purpose except for "why the fuck not?"
I had already tried it with a Pokémon distribution rom two pages ago.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Pingouin7 said:
Team Fail said:
ron975 said:
So, you need flashme. Well, I only have a DSi.
frown.gif
That's what we want to work around. I think it can be done by using a header from an actual demo game.
That would break the signature.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the demo header has to have some correspondence to the .nds ROM it came from.

.....are we even able to sign code? I had no clue
wtf.gif

loco365

Trophies
XP
Kiaku said:
Did some research. Looks like this was done quite a long time ago by someone else:
Old Topic
I tried modding one of those. No dice either.

Hm. I just now (literally) though of something. I want to find the person that made the DS bricker. I can bet he'd know about signed headers and it could give some insight into signing a rom for transfer. If a bricker can run on an unflashed DS, we can get roms to run on an unflashed DS through Download Play.

Am I right or am I right?

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Team Fail said:
emmanu888 said:
i couldn't even obtain the fake dragon quest ix that has the bricker
They aren't that easy to find. You have to be either very unlucky or search really hard.

I have a copy of it.
tpi.gif
I found it when it first came out (knowing what it was) and am waiting for the day when somebody I loathe wants to play Dragon Quest IX.
rofl.gif

I also have Taihen and the DSBricker program somewhere too. Wow, I am an asshole. :wtf:

Reactions: 1 person

loco365

Trophies
XP
Schlupi said:
Team Fail said:
emmanu888 said:
i couldn't even obtain the fake dragon quest ix that has the bricker
They aren't that easy to find. You have to be either very unlucky or search really hard.

I have a copy of it.
tpi.gif
I found it when it first came out (knowing what it was) and am waiting for the day when somebody I loathe wants to play Dragon Quest IX.
rofl.gif

I also have Taihen and the DSBricker program somewhere too. Wow, I am an asshole. :wtf:
lol Here is some pr0n!
biggrin.gif

...wtf happened to my DS?

...*eerie smile*

Did you see my previous post? It might help.

Kiaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Team Fail said:
Kiaku said:
Did some research. Looks like this was done quite a long time ago by someone else:
Old Topic

Hm. I just now (literally) though of something. I want to find the person that made the DS bricker. I can bet he'd know about signed headers and it could give some insight into signing a rom for transfer. If a bricker can run on an unflashed DS, we can get roms to run on an unflashed DS through Download Play.

Well, you see, I would assume that the person that was bricked had flashme installed on his DS, since he said here:
So because flashme didnt work I tried to install noflashme and it WORKED.
Thank you all here.
Now I am without flashme so I will install it again.

He said it on this thread.

So I guess he was bricked because he had flashme installed, which allowed the sent homebrew (bricker) to boot. Normally, unbricking the DS was to perform ppflash or through slot 2 device, but I guess alternatively, uninstalling flashme also does the trick.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Kiaku said:
Team Fail said:
Kiaku said:
Old Topic

Well, you see, I would assume that the person that was bricked had flashme installed on his DS, since he said here:
So because flashme didnt work I tried to install noflashme and it WORKED.
Thank you all here.
Now I am without flashme so I will install it again.

He said it on this thread.

So I guess he was bricked because he had flashme installed, which allowed the sent homebrew (bricker) to boot. Normally, unbricking the DS was to perform ppflash or through slot 2 device, but I guess alternatively, uninstalling flashme also does the trick.
I remember reading on the DS Bricker Wiki page, and I will summarize it, that it's ok if you have Flashme installed, because you can rewrite the firmware to the system. But, if you have vanilla firmware (the average DS system), you're pretty much screwed.

Kiaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I remember reading on the DS Bricker Wiki page, and I will summarize it, that it's ok if you have Flashme installed, because you can rewrite the firmware to the system. But, if you have vanilla firmware (the average DS system), you're pretty much screwed.

Well, yeah, but noflashme uninstalls flashme from the ds, so I'm thinking he already had flashme installed when he booted that bricker. Alternatively, if he had "vanilla firmware", then I would assume that the nds bricker has the official nintendo signed key in it.

Either way, we need to find a way to fake the signature, or to actually get the key (which we might be able to do from receiving the source of ds bricker).

Edit: Typo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: why