Homebrew DS App Studio (DS Entry -- PC Software)

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
headersg.png

New Update soon to release 0.4.9

The project I am working on is called DS App Studio, or for long-terms, The Nintendo DS Application Studio. DS App Studio is a piece of software that I am still working on, but it has gotten far in development, such as 2D and 3D development. Right now, I am almost done implementing 3D model importing into the next beta of this software.

DS App Studio is a studio program(mostly a studio that is built into one huge program, besides other components) that uses the implemented language, or the language I am developing for easy development of Nintendo DS homebrew, called DSAL, or DS Application Language.

Minimal System Requirements
1.1 Supported Architectures

· x86
· x64 (WOW)
1.2. Supported Operating Systems

· Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3
· Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
· Microsoft Windows Server 2008
1.3. Hardware Requirements

· Minimum: 1.6 GHz CPU, 192 MB RAM, 1024x768 display, 5400 RPM hard disk
· Recommended: 2.2 GHz or higher CPU, 384 MB or more RAM, 1280x1024 display, 7200 RPM or higher hard disk
· On Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008: 2.4 GHz CPU, 768 MB RAM
· 1.3 GB of available disk space for the full installation

sc1q.png

sc2t.png

sc3c.png

sc4j.png

CURRENT FEATURES OF THE IDE(STUDIO):

- Abilities to create, open, and saving projects(obvious)

- Compiling of homebrew

- Code editor of DSAL

- Importing of resources(sprites, sounds, backgrounds, plug-ins, models)

-Viewing models inside of DS App Studio

- Abilities to export templates for your uses or for others

- Abilities to export plug-ins.

- Abilities to declare global variables

- Abilities to edit resources

CURRENT FEATURES OF DSAL(PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE):

- Abilities to use 2D and 3D

- Abilities to use forms, instead of having to code the long way

- Abilities to create objects, for sprites

- Abilities to move and set positions of sprites(objects)

- Abilities to use logic(for using controls, variables, ect.)

- Ability to control what happens in your game or application

- Ability to make games and applications

- Ability to use 3D cameras

- Abilities to use global variables

-Abilities to modify models, such as rotation

- Ability to rotate sprites, resize them, and manipulate them(not completed yet)

- Abilities to scroll backgrounds(not complete yet)

- Abilities to use physics within your game

-Abilities to change fonts

- Abilities to use both screens to draw backgroudns

- Use of arrays in your games and applications

Here is a brief piece of code that is used to make an application:

Code:
// Project Name: NDS App - AwsomiSoft - www.awsomisoft.com

// Description: this template is a very simple project it 
// contains the basic code for a DS App Studio application

// Version: 0.4.6

// whenever using 2D or 3D you must use the start2D or 2D function
start2D(256, 256);

// first, you must tell it to start the first form
startform("Form1");
wait();
endif();
// and this creates the form. To add another form, just
// do createform and in quotes the name of the form.
form("Form1");

ÂÂÂÂÂÂ say("Hello, World!");
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ 
endif();
Most of code is comments, so it isn't that long actually.

System Requirements:
- Microsoft.NET 3.5

- Windows 98 or better(pending)

-devkitProUpdate(included)

The current version on the website is not the updated one I will be releasing soon, so you may need to consult the manual to learn more about DS App Studio.

Here is the download.

Here are left over screenshots:

screen1h.png

screen2cp.png

Reactions: 1 person

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
RoyalCardMan said:
System Requirements:
- Microsoft.NET 3.5

- Windows 98 or better(pending)

-devkitProUpdate(included)

Erm, you might want to sort out your minimum requirements because -.net 3.5 does not work on anything lower than windows server 2003. Here's a link on the minimal requirements: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...temRequirements

Also:
QUOTEIf you have Windows 7, than I am sorry, I have to say, that it currently doesn't work on Windows 7.
Try using Virtual Machine and get the Windows XP on it, and then install it on there.

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
wait 3D camera?
what as in the game move the camera or the camera on the dsi/ 3ds .....
now that i think of this its probably the game camera

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
MasterPenguin said:
So it has a minimu and maximum requirements?
rolleyes.gif

In a way yes, but it seems that either royalcardman is too busy with other things, or he's just plain ignoring my post, because he is posting at the other projects, while the wrong requirements to run the program are listed in the first post, and even on his own site. If i were him, I'd make it as compatible as possible with the most possible operating systems and not making a list of operating systems in which you can strike a lot Os'es through....

Even worse, he was recommending people to use a virtual machine to run his own program in... So he wants us to either downgrade to a lower OS, or use a memoryhog of a program that most people can't use properly (and it can take long to configure as well). My tip to him, sort out your priorities! First make it as compatible as possible with preferably the latest operating systems and see if you can use a lower .net version, before focusing on adding features.

This also happened once before. Older versions were set to look in the folder c:\dsappstudio specifically and quite a few people had a problem with it, while the program could just point from the installed folder. He first updated the features before fixing this problem. My tip to him, please sort out the critical things first, before you go to the lower priority things, or at least communicate with your users about what you are doing. A program that has a lot of features, but doesn't work ain't a good program at all. People want to know what they have to do to make it work properly and as long as you don't provide the right information, you will get a lot of problems along the line.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this looks very promising, i am not intimidated by the ease of use, it will take some time to get used to, but i actually want to invest the time in this. if this becomes powerful, it can be a big accomplishment for myself. thanks for the contribution man.

edit: yikes after using this it seems there are a lot of bugs, i cannot even use it at this point. no$ just says cartridge not found every time i try to compile something. even when i'm using the supplied examples. i would expect my code to be wrong, but not the examples! i do very much appreciate the software, but it seems it has a long way to go.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
this looks very promising, i am not intimidated by the ease of use, it will take some time to get used to, but i actually want to invest the time in this. if this becomes powerful, it can be a big accomplishment for myself. thanks for the contribution man.

edit: yikes after using this it seems there are a lot of bugs, i cannot even use it at this point. no$ just says cartridge not found every time i try to compile something. even when i'm using the supplied examples. i would expect my code to be wrong, but not the examples! i do very much appreciate the software, but it seems it has a long way to go.
What operating system do you have? There have been issues with operating systems.

Edit: Here are a few questions to answer. Also, please post pictures of the errors when saying there are errors and please tell what they are specifically.

1) Did you install the devkitPro properly?

2) What operating system do you have?

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
slenkar said:
what is dsal like? does it have garbage collection? OOP?
Please, could you clarify what "garbage collection" and OOP mean in this context?

DSAL is a programming language that is I would say is a language that is based on basic functionality. It is, not in my perspective, not a object based language, but more of a function based language. You could say it is object-oriented, since it deals with objects using functions, but it more uses functions to create objects. So, here is a line of code that would be an example:

CODEogldrawmodel("creature");

As you can see, it uses functions to create the objects. Now, I am working on a system that would be object-oriented, but I don't have it stable enough to release.

And, what do you mean when you say what is DSAL like? Do you want to know how easy it is, or do you want to know if it is object-oriented or not?

slenkar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you compare it to another language?

Im just curious, how easy is it, and what features it has.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
slenkar said:
could you compare it to another language?

Im just curious, how easy is it, and what features it has.
Yes, you could compare it to DBAS and C++, in some circumstances.

DSAL and DBAS

• DSAL has 3D functions, DBAS does not.
  • DSAL can create functions with code, DBAS cannot.
  • DSAL can use directories, DBAS can not.
  • ect.

DSAL and C++
  • DSAL is an easier to use language that makes the samething, or even more, as C++ can.

Depends on your knowledge. DSAL is easy-to-use and can make many things with little code, but it also depends if you have used other languages or not. If you have used languages that are hard, then it may take some time to get used to the simplicity of the language. On the other hand, if you barely programmed or you used basic languages, then it should be easy.

jaywilson

Trophies
Website
www.nes-media.com
XP
Country
hey this program seems pretty sick
it was all working well i got as far as compiling helloworld and the same thing that said a different text

then it wont work when i try to test or compile, says its cant find text.nds? how do i get this sorted do you need more information

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
jaywilson said:
hey this program seems pretty sick
it was all working well i got as far as compiling helloworld and the same thing that said a different text

then it wont work when i try to test or compile, says its cant find text.nds? how do i get this sorted do you need more information
Well, it seems from what I have heard that the No$GBA Emulator can not find Temp.NDS. You can run it with the emulator by running the emulator, and when it starts up, locate Temp.NDS in C:\DSAppStudio\Temp\Temp.nds

If you need more help, just post the problem.
smile.gif

Ray =D

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi, I have a problem with the temp.nds... I got the same error and then I searched trough my whole computer and I couldnt find the Temp.nds. I know posting links is not allowed, but you can SAY where I can get the rom ;D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop watching hot anime girls :angry: