DS #3683: Best of Arcade Games DS (Europe)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I really hope that this is a budget release....otherwise i can't see that many people are going to get "blown away over and over again".

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Tetris clone is too slow and takes forever to get faster. I was up to 133 lines and shut it off because I got bored.

The Arkanoid clone seems OK, but we have various other versions of this in at least 2 other releases.

The Pac-Man clone.....
wtf.gif
Very ugly, but playable. Meh....

The Pinball game......OK, but the ball is way too bouncy. At least it's better than that Pinball Deluxe which was recently released.

That's all there is to this compilation. Bargain bin material from the moment it was released, I'd wager. None of it is terrible, but none of it stands out as anything special either. 5 out of 10 at best.

moonmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rare comment from me but "Best of Arcade games DS" ?
Get to fuck, i'm sure there are several homebrew games that have done all of the included much better.
Lots of vitriol evident here, deservedly so.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cupajoe said:
How is this legal for them to blatantly rip off these games. Tetraminos? Are you fucking kidding me?
It is impossible to patent a game mechanic (or, more properly, it is impossible to successfully defend a patent on a game mechanic.) That is why you see so many street fighter clones, too, and why games shifted to focusing so heavily on copyrightable characters for so long.

A game's designer can copyright its levels, its overall visual presentation, and so on (and actually, the Pac Man guy in this game looks so much like Pac-Man that it might really be a violation), but you can't copyright or patent the basic game mechanics.

If you think it's bad now, it was much worse back in the old Atari era. Just about every game was a horrible rip-off of something else, generally badly-coded and buggy, and they didn't even have the decency to at least give you four horrible rip-offs in one like this.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
crook said:
RupeeClock said:
"Flipper"?

The fuck? You obviously can't call the other games Tetris, Pacman and Breakout/Arkanoid, but it's just pinball!

flipper is pinball so whats your problem?

Pinball also have flippers. Go see the computer version, flippers at the bottom.

Anyway is this game really THAT bad? I wanted to try a tetris gsme but ppl are saying this sucks

Kuschel-Drow

Trophies
Website
kuschel-drow.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
x.domination said:
crook said:
RupeeClock said:
"Flipper"?

The fuck? You obviously can't call the other games Tetris, Pacman and Breakout/Arkanoid, but it's just pinball!

flipper is pinball so whats your problem?

Pinball also have flippers. Go see the computer version, flippers at the bottom.

Anyway is this game really THAT bad? I wanted to try a tetris gsme but ppl are saying this sucks

Why don't you SIMPLY go and get Tetris DS? Since it's the original Tetris you should be fine. It has some other blockgames with it too...

As for this relase, well... meh... I don't think the world was waiting for it... :S

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cupajoe said:
How is this legal for them to blatantly rip off these games. Tetraminos? Are you fucking kidding me?

You sound like they were the first to call it that. Try googling "Tetraminos game" you will see loads and loads of hits. This name has been used for clones of Tetris for ages. I look at it this way, 99% of games these days are clones or copies of whole games or formats, there is hardly any original games anymore, its all down to how the game playes, thats the imortant thing. That said I still havent found a better version of Tetiris than playing on the original Gameboy, they nailed the game 100% in that version IMHO

QUOTE(morphius @ Apr 27 2009, 05:33 AM) talk about blatant ripoffs..you should read the back story tetris , and how Alexey Pajitnov got SCREWED! Everyone made money from tetris but him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris

Better yet, read the book "Game Over" by David Sheff you want a real insite into the story of Tetris, better yet its the history of Nintendo.... as a review I would give it 100%, I read it three times...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sometimes that's all you you need, to bring back to life, i need to put that on my medical card...