DS #2401: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Japan)

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaisuto said:
I have never seen the appeal of this game. There is no freaking strategy to this, you just power level like mad and have one over leveled character beat the living snot outta everything that lives. How is that strategic?
Disgaea actually has a lot more in-battle strategy than most strategy RPGs, especially in the random levels like the dungeon world. Most strategy RPGs just involve putting together a winning team and using it over and over until everything is dead; in Disgaea, it's more like "Ok, in this level the floor is radioactive, so I'll have Laharl toss Etna onto that ledge so she can throw the radioactivity-pyramid down to Flonne, who can throw it into the enemy's side of the field while my mage goes and steals their invincibility-pyramid.

But a much better way to understand Disgaea is like this: Most strategy-RPGs, and RPGs in general, are "balanced". If your character is higher level, you'll win; if you're lower level, you'll lose. There are a few basic strategies you use again and again, but that's the way the genre works.

Disgaea is not like that. Your characters in Disgaea do not play fair. At all. Disgaea is all about exploiting the system in the most absurd ways imaginable (and the game exploits the system right back at you -- the level where all the enemies start out invincible and you start out losing 20% of your HP a turn thanks to the radioactive floor is not an exaggeration.) You can beat much more powerful opponents in Disgaea by abusing the system, and lose to much weaker opponents if you don't do it right.

Thorisoka

Trophies
Website
www.nintendojofr.com
XP
Country
France
suppachipmunk said:
I am a little shocked at the 512mbit size as well. For the PSP, it is a fairly large game. And maintaining the voice acting on the DS, i was sure that this game would be 2gbit.

Hope they dont sacrifice quality to make this game fit on a DS card.

Funny thing is that IGN's preview stated All of the original English voice acting will appear in Disgaea DS. The first game on PS2 also included a Japanese language track, but unfortunately space restrictions on the DS will prevent players from experiencing the non-translated voices.

Space restrictions at 64MB... oh well, undubbing is easy on DS.

imtony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait til the US release. Still playing it on my PSP
biggrin.gif

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ruri said:
You can beat much more powerful opponents in Disgaea by abusing the system.
Such as one map where every tile is invlunerable but one, so instead of destorying the gem, you just pile all the enemies into one and put him on that space. Then spend some time whaling on him, bam. Fire up a shitload of levels.

So yeah, plenty of comments do float but that mean it's not a fun game!

RanmaFreak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's funny that this game came out when it did, because I literally just began playing the PS2 version over when I looked online and saw this here.

Can't wait for an english release so I can take this game on the Go! I'd use my PSP, but I bricked it a month ago!
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    my younger brother is forcing me to play with him and my cousins are here *sigh*
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I thought it was interesting.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm this video is clickbait
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: nvm this video is clickbait