Hacking Downgrading IOS 15 on 4.3 Virgin wii

Worked for you?

• Yes (with no freezes)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (once freezed in IOS 15 reloading)

• Yes (twice freezed in IOS 15 reloading)

• Yes (more than twice freezed in IOS reloading)

• No

• Total voters

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Here is the real NOOB guide,

Requirements

a. A wii ready to be hacked. Game says it requires a nunchuk though it's possible to use only directional keys of wiimote.
b. A Lego Indiana Jones game (If you have a chipped wii a backup will do too)
c. A compatible sd card formatted to FAT (a Sandisk 2GB SD card will do the job.)

HERE'S HOW YOU DO IT

We got 3 zip files, for each video we need to empty our sd card and copy the files included in the zip file in order. If you've never played Lego Indiana Jones then you should just open it once at least so that you can copy hacked save file over to the wii. If you have a previous save file you want to keep then just copy it over to your sd card and back it up... Then delete the save in your wii.

The guide doesn't cover Homebrew Channel installation or downgrade. I recommend waiting for the Homebrew Channel release and installing it then.

For the needed files ask nearest provider
tongue.gif
(send an email to wiidewiiauto at google's thing)

1. Step - Installation of IOS 41

First of : Empty your sd card and extract the contents of 4.3-Step1.zip file. Insert the sd card into your wii. Then follow the guide in the video

2. Step - IOS 15 Downgrade / 3. Step - Patched IOS 36 Installation

First of : Empty your sd card and extract the contents of 4.3-Step2-3.zip file. Insert the sd card into your wii. Then follow the guide in the video

Take Note : You might get codedumps when you select IOS 15 in the 3. Step. Just retry that step until you successfully get through it, eventually it will reload into IOS 15 successfully... While taking the video it worked for me in the first try, people got varying results some retrying only once or twice but some needed to retry more than twice...

4. Step - Cios / Usb Loader installation

First of : Empty your sd card and extract the contents of 4.3-Step4.zip file. Insert the sd card into your wii. Then follow the guide in the video

If you do own a ntsc copy of Super Smash Bras Brawl and you are on 4.3U then you can use that game too... You just need to do the exploit stuff with SSBB game using Smash Stack exploit. With SSBB you need to use a non sdhc card since game doesn't support sdhc cards.

To prepare for this : First delete all your custom stages.
For each part (video) : Extract Smash Stack exploit to your sd card as well..
Whenever you see Indiana Pwns exploit : Use SmashStack exploit. To do so, just launch SSBB and go to Stage Builder.

You can download and get more information about Smash Stack exploit
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Smash_Stack

--- Old post explaining the core hack for the experienced people ---

Do not attempt before awaiting confirmation from a few people who are protected with bootmii!
It's confirmed working with no after-effects, so you can go ahead if you are not too noob

1. Grab WiiPower's latest TBR (1.13) from wiibrew which contains latest revision numbers (http://www.mediafire.com/?qzmqirhnuyz)
2. Download lowest revision of IOS 41 from NUS using NUSD (such as v2835)
3. Install IOS 41 using wad manager, it's a ninty signed IOS and it will gracefully install with non-trucha IOS
4. Use WiiPower's TBR to downgrade IOS 15 as usual... just select the IOS to be used as 41..
5. After downgrade, patch and install IOS 36 as usual...
6. Get rid of Korean IOS 41...
7. Do whatever you do with your trucha enabled IOS 36 ;p

ps1: TBR might codedump on selecting IOS 15, retry in case... I had modified da_letter_a's mod but I got all kinds of problems with the console code so I can't release it ATM.
ps2: Use the usual exploits such as SmashStack or Indiana Pawns to run TBR... Indiana Pwns doesn't boot dol files so it would be a good idea to boot loadmii which is said to be distributed in elf executable format.
ps3: If you are noob, do not attempt to do this, just wait TT to release new bootmii
ps4: The essence of this workaround is the fact that we (non korean wii owners) don't have korean ios but we can install any revision of them and use, one area Nintendo just neglected I guess..

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I'll direct curious people to this post. Is it possible to a new TBR that runs all of those steps for people exclusively on 4.3 and greater?

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, interesting!

I'd just like to ask/know, is the 4.3SM safe with a downgraded IOS15? It's just that I've tried to do a Wii once and TBR locked up a couple of times and I had to restart the Wii though the downgraded IOS15 was safe.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Well I've tested this on 3.2... installing latest versions of IOS 15 and 36 which are said to prevent TBR to not work again...

Dunno how it will turn out on 4.3... that's why I'm saying wait a bit confirmation from a few people who are still protected with bootmii keeping their system so that they are able to test such a thing...

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great work WiiCrazy, you deserve mega props assuming this works (and I see no reason why it wouldn't). What a wonderful way in, Ninty will sure be kicking themselves over this one.

Kudos!
yaywii.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Riley said:
So how would korean users downgrade IOS ?

Using an old revision of a special IOS specific to PAL/NTSC/NTSC-J wiis... Yep I know there isn't any... They'll just have to wait TT to release bootmii and hope that TT won't put any protection for the bootmii abuse...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Crap! You just killed my last resort. I hoped that this stays a "secret" until there's really no way around it. I had this idea when i thought that TBR was dead on the 4.2 update, as i also noticed that the korean IOS aren't stubs on non korean Wiis as one could expect.

Let's hope we can get TT to use this as well(or some other currently used exploit), so in case they find another powerful bug, they can safe it for the next update.

PS: I never tried this myself, i think the korean IOS should work on non korean Wiis, but i don't know for sure. Could be some korean common key thing.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
Riley said:
So how would korean users downgrade IOS ?

Using an old revision of a special IOS specific to PAL/NTSC/NTSC-J wiis... Yep I know there isn't any... They'll just have to wait TT to release bootmii and hope that TT won't put any protection for the bootmii abuse...

Do Korean Wiis have IOS 12,13,14,15,17?

HackMii Korean Wii info
The Korean Wiis ship with IOS versions 4, 9, 21, 37, 40, 41, 43, and 45.
Nothing in any of the Wii impersonator logs indicating that 12,13,14,15, or 17 were added to Korean Wiis.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Crap! You just killed my last resort. I hoped that this stays a "secret" until there's really no way around it. I had this idea when i thought that TBR was dead on the 4.2 update, as i also noticed that the korean IOS aren't stubs on non korean Wiis as one could expect.

Let's hope we can get TT to use this as well, so in case they find another powerful bug, they can safe it for the next update.

PS: I never tried this myself, i think the korean IOS should work on non korean Wiis, but i don't know for sure. Could be some korean common key thing.

What a lame way to react,
"secret" ? Are you implying you or someone else told me this? Just figured it out and tested it on my own... Btw if you are thinking TT will resort to such a workaround you are not very well informed around them I guess.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
fogbank said:
Do Korean Wiis have IOS 12,13,14,15,17?

HackMii Korean Wii info
QUOTE said:
The Korean Wiis ship with IOS versions 4, 9, 21, 37, 40, 41, 43, and 45.
Nothing in any of the Wii impersonator logs indicating that 12,13,14,15, or 17 were added to Korean Wiis.

Hmm, didn't notice this.. I believe the same trick could also be used on Korean wiis then. Yet currently there is no exploit to run homebrew on 4.3K wiis..

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Just tested on a bootmii boot2 4.3U works fine. Nice Find btw

edit: Btw i didn't have Smash or indiana to test with, Just tested with Latest 4.3 Ios's, but had priiloader installed with Enable BannerBomb. shouldn't make any difference on the exploit used though

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LTK said:
So if this is tested, could someone make a noob-friendly step by step?

You first need something like Stack Smash or IndianaPwns to load homebrew code.

QUOTE1. Grab WiiPower's latest TBR (1.13) from wiibrew which contains latest revision numbers (http://www.mediafire.com/?qzmqirhnuyz)
2. Download lowest revision of IOS 41 from NUS using NUSD (such as v2835)
3. Install IOS 41 using wad manager, it's a ninty signed IOS and it will gracefully install with non-trucha IOS
4. Use WiiPower's TBR to downgrade IOS 15 as usual... just select the IOS to be used as 41..
5. After downgrade, patch and install IOS 36 as usual...
6. Get rid of Korean IOS 41...
7. Do whatever you do with your trucha enabled IOS 36 ;p

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice...

That is what Ninty gets for separating Korean Wii's IOS from the rest of the planet.

What is so special about Korea that they have to run different IOS slots/versions anyways?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond...