Doom 64 port release will include a brand-new chapter

The upcoming port release of Doom 64, which is scheduled to be released on March 20th, 2020, alongside the long-awaited Doom Eternal, will feature a brand-new chapter as a continuation of the original Doom 64 story, and a direct follow-up after Doomguy defeats the final boss of the game.
The new chapter also promises to add in a "bit of lore" that seems to cater to fans of both the original and the modern Doom series.

“On our end, persistent players will have the opportunity to unlock a new chapter in the Doomguy’s saga, taking place shortly after [Doom 64’s] original campaign concludes. The Mother Demon you defeated in that outing had a sister, and since you’ve been messing up Hell non-stop, she tries to get rid of you by sending you away. If you can make your way back and take revenge, you’ll be rewarded with a bit of lore that fans of both series, new and classic, should enjoy.”

:arrow: Source

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
personally i'd like if there was an option to remove the filtering, as i'm pretty strongly against the muddy look it gave to nearly all n64 games
I wholeheartedly agree.
I really don't bilinear filter in anything, so if they include such an option, it'd be great.
Here's hoping the new ROM will be leaked and playable on an Everdrive

By the way, aren't you the guy who made MaternalBound? I didn't know you were part of the GBATemp staff
Yes I am the one who did MaternalBound :P
But I am not from the staff, I simply submitted the news article.

Reactions: Xalusc

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll be interesting to see if this is a modified rom being interpreted or actually remade in a new engine.

If there's enough interest I'd love to see the new chapter hacked into the n64 version, but nevertheless I'm happy to see this game will be easily accessible again. :)

D

Deleted User

Considering that this is basically just Doom64EX, I wonder if the files will be compatible with the free version that's already released

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WCTlDfq.png

I should have been more specific: I'm waiting for this new chapter to be added to the Doom 64 EX sourceport.

D

Deleted User

I should have been more specific: I'm waiting for this new chapter to be added to the Doom 64 EX sourceport.
probably wouldn't take too long, if it goes the way of the switch versions of the doom games it'd probably be ported to unity, and luckily unity is easy to tear apart
would be preferable if it was on a proper doom engine but nothing's perfect i guess

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want fancy graphics?
Doom 64 is already a really good looking game for what it is.
If you want fancy stuff, play Doom 64 on GzDoom or one of those bloated Brutal Doom craps.
Adding stuff like that to Doom64 would kill the mood of it.

Besides, I would much rather play a new chapter in Doom 64 rather than have those "fancy graphics".
"for what it is" yeah, but in comparison to other games it isn't all that good. fancy graphics would be a nice thing to have.
Also you can call it crap all you want, but when it adds blood and gore, alongside a shitload of other useful awesome items and better sound effects and graphics, it's friggin awesome. fuck the mood, i want good gameplay dammit

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Besides the new chapter, what are the differences between that and Doom64 EX already available as an homebrew ? Is Bethesda still asking for a Bethesda account to play ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?