Homebrew Question Does using LayeredFS mode leave behind anything?

Samus20XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've had my switch set to not send error reports since day 1. Been using layeredFS every now and then since it was first introduced. Every time i plan on booting into it, i preemptively turn on airplane mode, then boot layered FS + clear log just in case one of the games crashes.

havent used layeredFS for about 3 or so weeks until today. I'll let you know if i get hit with a ban next time i connect to the internet, But doing the above (i assume) has saved me from such.

Also if you're ultra paranoid about it, you could make a nand backup, STAY OFFLINE, play your game, then restore the nand so its as close to "vanilla" as possible.

Hotice03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna add on to some stuff here, I went online with layeredFS one time, all i did was change pokemons textures, no actual game change, so far no ban

ive had a CFW Switch online with Homebrew and checkpoint since october and its online 24 7 and i have yet to get a ban from it. so hoping for the best lol

OperationNT

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You and like 50 other people, at the very least. LayeredFS is not the ban-worthy devil everyone makes it out to be.

I think LayeredFS was a big deal at early stages of Atmosphere when there was not the signature patches available: you could completely replace a game by another game, however, title ID was still the one from the original game.
At this time, there were a lot of ban, especially for people who went online and played to Splatoon with a Super Mario Odyssey title ID...

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Don’t use layeredfs on a switch above 6x firmware you will get banned! You used to be able to do it but nintis security changed on 6.2.0 firmware so the likely will happen

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
It was well known ninti changed their security measures on 6.2.0 firmware you also used to get away with using donor certificates on xci’s but that stopped as well users were receiving a lot of bans after 6.2.0. Sorry without going through old threads & conversations etc.. I cannot source you but it did happen. I’m not saying you will 100% get banned using layeredfs but the chances are now a lot higher on newer firmware.

Reactions: MonMonz

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was well known ninti changed their security measures on 6.2.0 firmware you also used to get away with using donor certificates on xci’s but that stopped as well users were receiving a lot of bans after 6.2.0. Sorry without going through old threads & conversations etc.. I cannot source you but it did happen. I’m not saying you will 100% get banned using layeredfs but the chances are now a lot higher on newer firmware.
6.2.0 only updated package1 to use the tsec for key generation instead of keyblobs and fixed a couple vulns (everything else was also “updated” to use new crypto, with no other changes).
It’s more likely that Ninty just hadn’t gotten around to banning a bunch of users who had fucked up until then.

And I have not heard of a single report of anyone getting banned from just using layeredfs in offline games that don’t have telemetry since AMS properly released.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
6.2.0 only updated package1 to use the tsec for key generation instead of keyblobs and fixed a couple vulns (everything else was also “updated” to use new crypto, with no other changes).
It’s more likely that Ninty just hadn’t gotten around to banning a bunch of users who had fucked up until then.

And I have not heard of a single report of anyone getting banned from just using layeredfs in offline games that don’t have telemetry since AMS properly released.
I wouldn’t personally use layeredfs on my online switch I don’t think it’s worth it I do use sxos custom firmware, I do use my own xci backups online “not at the moment until TX fixes the freezing issue, waiting with frustration” I also use homebrew on it but I would not use installed nsp’s or anything else and I’ve been all ok for 18 months now. My second switch I use that for everything else. I do think it’s worth having two hacked switchs so you have the freedom to use everything available without having too worry.

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: MonMonz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Overclock your PS3!!! lol