Does PC have region-lock?

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I will soon be buying a new laptop in Canada and I'm going to take it to France. Will I be able to play PC games that I buy in France on my laptop? What about DVD movies that I rent? Thanks!

UncleChuckle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You'll be able to run any games from anywhere in the world. You're only problem will be the difference in power supplies, so you might need a converter or a new supply.

As for DVD, it'll be set to the region you bought it in. However, you have two options.

1) All DVD drives in computers have a limited number of region changes (usually 5), so you can change it to your region.

2) There is software out there that makes the system go "Region? Who cares about regions?" (DVD Region Free is the one I have.)

There is a third option, which is seeing if you can find a firmware to make your DVD drive region free, but that's a lot of aggravation for very little reward.

UncleChuckle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One major problem though... Most laptops are not strong enough to play many of the newer games.

Not always true. If you buy one of the ones with a good onboard graphics processor. I can run most of the current crop of games on my Dell, and there's laptops out there with far better specs.

But yes, be careful. If you wind up getting something with shitty Intel Extreme, you'll be screwed.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking probably top of the line HP with an independant graphics processor rather than a 'gaming' laptop.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There are games that are "language locked"
Some games won't let you install unless your Unicode language setting is not something. I only have encountered the ones that required me to change my setting to "English(U.S)" in order to install/play the game, but there could be French suckers who make you do that too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)