Hardware does having a bigger hard drive on the ps3 make the system freeze more often?

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my friend installed a 1tb hard drive on his and it freezes for him more often then my 500 GB one. so i'm wondering if it's worth it to get more room. anyone have a 1TB on there ps3? let me know here.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
hmm.. i've put a 640GB WD a year ago, and the ammount of freezes, looooooooow reading / stuck times during mid gameplay... in the end i figured it wasn't worth the effort. I have a cech 2001-a with a 320GB SATA WD with 4.30 rebug and heck I don't regret having this HDD at all (responsive, fast, and lotta games [even ps2 classics] without even a single issue since may 2012)

When I had the 640GB installed, i've experienced even data corruption on the PS3 (and now this HDD has been used on the notebook i'm using, and has been used the whole past year) without issues at all

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my friend installed a 1tb hard drive on his and it freezes for him more often then my 500 GB one. so i'm wondering if it's worth it to get more room. anyone have a 1TB on there ps3? let me know here.
I installed a 750GB internal hdd in my PS3 over 2 years ago with no problems at all. At the time, it was advised to use a 5400rpm versus a 7200rpm but I'm not sure if this is still the case. If your friend's hdd is a 7200rpm, that could be the issue;... unless of course, this isn't the case anymore.

DJPlace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't know what his RPM is i should ask him next time i see him that could be why.

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last month I bought a 1TB HDD for my ps3 and so far it's working quite well with every game I tried. And actually I have yet to experience a freeze of the ps3 since I switched from my old 120GB drive.
So I'd totally recommend a 1TB HDD, even if it depends kinda heavily on what you plan to do with your PS3. :3

DJPlace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm only going get one IF i run out of room. i still got 238GB left so i don't think that's going happen anytime soon I'm working on my disk collecting for now.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was thinking the RPM as well. though it could also just be a bad drive. At the very least I'd back everything up and reformat it.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I replaced the 160GB HD from my ps3 Slim right when I bought it with a 1TB WD Scorpio Blue 5400 RPM HD. I never experienced any freezes whatsoever. Might seem overkill to use such a big HD, but I download a lot of games off PSN, so 160 GB just didn't cut it.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm only going get one IF i run out of room. i still got 238GB left so i don't think that's going happen anytime soon I'm working on my disk collecting for now.
If you wait until you run out of room, the back up process is going to take longer and if you don't have an ext hdd to back up your 500GB to already, that'll be an added expense as well.

If you are considering a larger internal hdd (for whatever reason,) doing it at any point in time has it's advantages/disadvantages.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Using a 1TB 5400 RPM HDD and have had zero issues with it. The games that have issues (ME3 for example in some parts of the game) also had issues with the stock 160GB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1