Hardware Does 3DS, Luma have problems with more than 99GB free space?

Avenger2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a New 3dsXL and want to buy a bigger microSD card. I searched a bit and read that if you have more than 99GB of free space, you have to fill it up with some files because the home screen will slow down, CFW may have some issues, etc.. Is this still the case?

Avenger2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! So if I buy a 128GB card, I have to make sure it uses abt 30GB at first. I got it. There would be no other issues with a 128GB card as long as it is FAT32 formatted, correct?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks! So if I buy a 128GB card, I have to make sure it uses abt 30GB at first. I got it. There would be no other issues with a 128GB card as long as it is FAT32 formatted, correct?
Correct (at least to my knowledge), but bear in mind that FAT32 has a file size limit of 2-ish GB.

edit: as a workaround you can partition the SD card to below 99GB, partially fill it and expand the partition, if you don't want to create 15 dummy files

Last edited by bkifft,

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
4GB-1 byte.
Technically only true for some/modern implementations of FAT32, as the original specification used signed 32 bit integers for size information (<edit> or more precisely interpreted the size information to be signed</edit>).

And even while I believe this to be the case, I've got no idea if the FAT32 implementation on the 3DS follows LFS recommendations (using unsigned 32bit int), as I've never tested it.

Last edited by bkifft,

Infidel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FWIW when I put my 128GB SanDisk Ultra in when installing a9lh it was a brand new card and I haven't had any problems. I formatted it to fat32 and used a 32k cluster size. With that being said, I do have a 13 second cold boot time, takes longer to load decrypt9 and other hax, and loading any GBA vc takes longer. All of these are just because it takes the hax or system longer to read that much data. Other what I stated above I've had no problem.

Avenger2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FWIW when I put my 128GB SanDisk Ultra in when installing a9lh it was a brand new card and I haven't had any problems. I formatted it to fat32 and used a 32k cluster size. With that being said, I do have a 13 second cold boot time, takes longer to load decrypt9 and other hax, and loading any GBA vc takes longer. All of these are just because it takes the hax or system longer to read that much data. Other what I stated above I've had no problem.
Does your card have over 99GB free space? Otherwise I don't think there should be slowdown.

Infidel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No my card now has 85gb+ on it. As I stated it just takes the system longer to read the bigger cards. I've had the same the same load times since I've had the card no matter how much data was on it.

Infidel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
512gb micro sd cards don't exist, the only ones commercially available are 200gb,
Actually I think Samsung makes a 256gb, since I know you are talking about the 200gb SanDisk. The 128gb SanDisk Ultra is what I have now.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually I think Samsung makes a 256gb, since I know you are talking about the 200gb SanDisk. The 128gb SanDisk Ultra is what I have now.

I was just replying to the guy who was making up products, i dont doubt you have a 128gb card

Infidel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just replying to the guy who was making up products, i dont doubt you have a 128gb card
No, I was just telling you that you can get a 256gb now if you didnt know. Seriously doubting that the other person has a 512gb that isn't a fake though.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Infidel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stand corrected. I didn't click the link but I searched newegg and they do indeed make a 512gb SD card that would work with the o3ds but I think 256gb is the biggest MicroSD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021