Gaming dodgy connection

issy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
my PS3 is connected to my router (linksys wrt54g) wirelessly, and i have tried with wire,
every time i turn on the PS3, within 30 seconds it says "network cable is unplugged" on the computer and then after a second it says it is connected.
it slows down the internet and when someones watching youtube or streaming video on the computer, the PS3 gets ridiculously laggy to the point when you can't play.

i know its normal for some decrease in connection speed, but at first i though the wire was faulty so thats replaced, is the router or modem faulty?

BTW my ISP is virgin media.

thanks for the help;

Twilight Loz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my isp is virgin media. I haven't came across that problem before although when i download something from the psn, my internet goes slow.although when im playing mulitplayer, it doesn't slow

Whats ur internet speed? That might be the problem

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I can think of two possible causes for the drop in speeds. The first is unlikely - the ISP using bandwidth management to prioritize video streams (they usually don't). The seceond is very likely - the router. It could be having a problem switching between the two data streams (video and gaming), or it could be the QoS that doesn't recognise the gaming data stream as time-dependant (which directly causes latency).

Then again, it could just be that your internet isn't fast enough to handle gaming data and a video stream at the same time, but I've only seen that happen with a download speed of 1.5Mb/s or less.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If it's the ISP, you need to contact customer support. Generally it's a good idea to call them anyway since, on occaision, you get someone who can give good advice.

If it's the router... get a new one, and not one of those crappy ones that the ISP sends you, but a proper one. I can't advise on a good router to get though, since half of the routers any manufacturer makes will have problems (brand name is irrelevant to that fact). I'm actually trying to look into getting a new one myself since my Belkin N1 Vision is showing its age.

issy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, you're right, my router is like 5 years old. my brother said he'll phone virgin media and he usually threatens to leave and they give us better deals. I've heard they give free routers to certain customers, but if its crap, then i guess we'll buy a new one. thanks for your help
smile.gif

issy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
just remembered, i also have laptops that are hooked up with the wireless with the same router, yet this only happens with the ps3. is this still the routers fault?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: