Doctor Who

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Been debating the upcoming 50th Anniversary Special with my sister (whose son was in Torchwood, just FYI) and we've come up with a pretty solid theory about what the special will be about. Pretty sure everyone else has reached the same conclusion already (and if they haven't, I'm curious why). Now that I've got the spoiler tags working again, here's our theory...

We have a solid basis for believing that the Special will finally show the final moments of the Time War, in which the Doctor who uses a weapon referred to in 'End of Time' as 'The Moment' to destroy the Daleks at the cost of also killing the Time Lords, something he did because of their degeneration into insanity and the creation of superweapons such as the Nightmare Child (whatever that is). This isn't just wild speculation though, we do have some evidence to back this theory up.

- It's heavily implied, if not stated outright, that John Hurt's Doctor is a prior incarnation, not the next actual Doctor. The announcement of the actual 12th Doctor pretty much confirms this.

- Going back to Ecclestone's series, the Time War is mentioned constantly but never shown. A key episode would be Dalek, in which the Doctor actually tortures the dalek he finds in the vault, even orders it to kill itself and screams hysterically at it, tries to shoot it, etc. Add that to David Tennant's treatment of his double at the end of Journey's End, in which he references that when he first met Rose he was full of hate, born in battle, and we see that The Doctor was once vengeful and somewhat dark.

- When John Hurt says 'What I did was in the name of peace and sanity', we strongly believe he is referencing the use of The Moment (which the Time Lords state outright he has in his possession in the final days of the Time War, as seen in End of Time) to end the insanity again referenced in End of Time by David Tennant regarding the Time Lords creating terrible weapons and basically unleashing Hell.

- We know the Doctor feels shame over his actions at the end of the Time War, seen repeatedly through every season. In Dalek, he flat out says he is responsible for the ultimate destruction of the daleks and Time Lords, he says to the imprisoned dalek 'I made it happen'.

So from that all taken together, along with the setup being that the Doctor did something terrible that goes against everything the name of the Doctor stands for, on top of the fact that finally seeing the Time War in a cinematic release in 3D would be pretty beyond epic, it seems fairly obvious that's how the episode would, or at the very least SHOULD play out.

Opinions?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
It was pretty good, wasn't quite as blown away as I'd hoped, kinda disappointed at the limited scope of the Time War shown after 8 years of build up, had a few other nitpicks and plotholes that annoyed me a bit, but I agree with Osha it was definitely a much more satisfying episode than those of the entire past few years. I thought An Adventure in Space and Time was better really, and a much better tribute.

RikuCrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
I missed all of Season 7's second half except the finale. Despite that, I understood everything, and I thought it was one of the best specials ever. Tennant and Smith were amazing together.

The glasses scene had me in tears laughing.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved every second of it. Though I do wish Billie Piper was actually Rose Tyler and that Eccleston came back instead of them using stock footage of him. But I understand why he didn't do it (At least from what Wikipedia says on the matter of him and his time on the show)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Finally there are people here