Hardware do you think sony and microsoft are going tocopy the nintendo switch next gen

D

Deleted-355425

I hope so, this will drive competition and bring better specs with better prices.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ps4 and xbox one no longer have the exclusives i used to like like halo etc you know how 343 ruined it. better off getting a pc and only buying nintendo consoles.

Reactions: Xzi

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Based on earlier quotes; no they will not because they always tell all there plans straight up.
Based on common sense related to $$$; yes they eventually will.

It all comes down to money.If they catch wind of the way Nintendo Switch impact the active gaming life of the older gamers (the ones with kids and so on). I am pretty sure they will have them $ony and mico$oft eyes pop open.

Sidenote; funny how there is no $ in Nintendo :P

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ps4 and xbox one no longer have the exclusives i used to like like halo etc you know how 343 ruined it. better off getting a pc and only buying nintendo consoles.
And they've never been creative in their hardware design like Nintendo, either. They sold Wii off a few good titles and the fact that a lot of people like lightgun games. Xbox was garbage in its first iteration, the ridiculously huge controller in particular, so it was forced to adapt. Sony hasn't changed their controller design since PSX almost at all, and box design doesn't matter except for airflow. Nintendo is the only one of the three willing to take risks, and when the others try to copy, they always fail.

Last edited by Xzi,

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And they've never been creative in their hardware design like Nintendo, either. They sold Wii off a few good titles and the fact that a lot of people like lightgun games. Xbox was garbage in its first iteration, the ridiculously huge controller in particular, so it was forced to adapt. Sony hasn't changed their controller design since PSX almost at all, and box design doesn't matter except for airflow. Nintendo is the only one of the three willing to take risks, and when the others try to copy, they always fail.
i still think nintendo were stupid to think the wii u was a good idea the game pad costed a bunch and it only worked when you were near the console and if you had your own tv you would never have to worry about your parents or some one having to use the tv. And it just made games harder to make. All my firends and me thought it sucked as soon as it came out.

Last edited by SoslanVanWieren,

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Well, when Wii became a smash with motion controls, both Sony and MS tossed in their stuff. Of course, motion control accessories are easier and quicker to bring out vs an entire system, so we'll just have to see.

I hope so, this will drive competition and bring better specs with better prices.
But what could Nintendo have really used other than the Tegra P1 (X2), which in of itself hasn't really had any applications other than for cars? Of course having roughly 50% better GPU capabilities and twice the memory bandwidth would have really helped, but, at what cost? And what about the CPU, which swaps the 4 A53 cores for 2 Denver2 cores? Those are stronger than the A57 cores, but with only 2, I dunno if it would have been feasible to use for gaming applications. The A57s would still likely be used as they are in the Switch and probably kept at the same frequency for battery/heat purposes, negatively affecting the advantage it has elsewhere (but not fully).

Last edited by DiscostewSM, , Reason: Tilde key "~" looks like a minus sign with this font. Changed wording from "~50%" to "roughly 50%"
D

Deleted-355425

Well, when Wii became a smash with motion controls, both Sony and MS tossed in their stuff. Of course, motion control accessories are easier and quicker to bring out vs an entire system, so we'll just have to see.

But what could Nintendo have really used other than the Tegra P1 (X2), which in of itself hasn't really had any applications other than for cars? Of course having ~50% better GPU capabilities and twice the memory bandwidth would have really helped, but, at what cost? And what about the CPU, which swaps the 4 A53 cores for 2 Denver2 cores? Those are stronger than the A57 cores, but with only 2, I dunno if it would have been feasible to use for gaming applications. The A57s would still likely be used as they are in the Switch and probably kept at the same frequency for battery/heat purposes, negatively affecting the advantage it has elsewhere (but not fully).

I probably didnt jump in to the convo right, im drinking lol.... what i mean is next gen for Nintendo if they follow the switch line of architecture again,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
i still think nintendo were stupid to think the wii u was a good idea the game pad costed a bunch and it only worked when you were near the console and if you had your own tv you would never have to worry about your parents or some one having to use the tv.
I didn't care for the WiiU's hardware design, either, but it still would've sold much better with a different name and different marketing. Nintendo didn't do a good job of demonstrating various uses of the pad to other developers. It felt half-assed after the success of Wii, though I'm sure that wasn't intentional. Switch is what WiiU should've been, though Nvidia hadn't demonstrated their tech in Shield TV yet.

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
The thing I am wishing for in the successor to the Switch;

1 - Analog shoulder buttons ... memories of the gamecube controller.
2 - A D-PAD ... sad I have to say that in regard to a Nintendo console at all.
3 - While I get the choice for cartridges, I think a lot of parties still see them as a burden of sorts. So discs (bluray just a lone would be wondeful and more the sizeable OR a way better internal storage solution (OR affordable micro SD's of either 512GB or 1TB ... Im already on my second 256GB card now)

Graphic meh suprise me. Im gameplay over graphics all the way.

Besides all that;
A friggin Nintendo ID which allows me to keep playing the games I bought on the next gen system.
THAT my friends would be another game-changer right there.

D

Deleted-355425

I will be honest, the switch is pretty much perfect for the times and price... the input controls can be replaced when they get worn out.. variables with D pads etc can be produced. Its probably my age group but all the old skool roms and games on a portable of this caliber is perfect.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I didn't care for the WiiU's hardware design, either, but it still would've sold much better with a different name and different marketing. Nintendo didn't do a good job of demonstrating various uses of the pad to other developers. It felt half-assed after the success of Wii, though I'm sure that wasn't intentional. Switch is what WiiU should've been, though Nvidia hadn't demonstrated their tech in Shield TV yet.
still 4 yeahs later the tablet is smaller and has the tech
The thing I am wishing for in the successor to the Switch;

1 - Analog shoulder buttons ... memories of the gamecube controller.
2 - A D-PAD ... sad I have to say that in regard to a Nintendo console at all.
3 - While I get the choice for cartridges, I think a lot of parties still see them as a burden of sorts. So discs (bluray just a lone would be wondeful and more the sizeable OR a way better internal storage solution (OR affordable micro SD's of either 512GB or 1TB ... Im already on my second 256GB card now)

Graphic meh suprise me. Im gameplay over graphics all the way.

Besides all that;
A friggin Nintendo ID which allows me to keep playing the games I bought on the next gen system.
THAT my friends would be another game-changer right there.
i think Nintendo just going to just keep making better switches it should work for a long time

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
i think Nintendo just going to just keep making better switches it should work for a long time
Sure kinda like the GB became the GBC became the GBA became the ... and so on.
But still I would like to see those changes I mentioned happen. Nintendo with a bad D-PAD ... come one that is just weird.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft sure as hell won't.
Microsoft and Sony are stuck in the war for powerful consoles and AAA games - the Switch is weaker in comparison and not as many devs want to bother to optimize their games for a weaker console.

Sony, on the other hand, probably could. They also have a big Japanese audience, and the portability of the Switch helps a lot in Japan. A portable console, plus all the exclusive animesque games Sony's known for having, would be a big seller for Japan, and fans of the more obscure niche Japanese games alike.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sure kinda like the GB became the GBC became the GBA became the ... and so on.
But still I would like to see those changes I mentioned happen. Nintendo with a bad D-PAD ... come one that is just weird.
This isn't a very valid criticism any more, you can use nearly any controller with Switch.

What I like about Sony (PlayStation) is that they don’t need to reinvent themselves every X couple of years or come up with some lame gimmicks. They are good in their own field and play on their own rhythm. Keep it up.
Well, they half-assed PS4 hardware. Then half-assed PS4 Pro hardware. So you get either 1080p and 30 FPS half the time, or upscaled 1440p and 30 FPS half the time. Both Pro and XB1X need more user freedom for settings in that regard.

Last edited by Xzi,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The pattern seems to suggest that neither Sony nor Microsoft will release a Switch competitor. If anything, there has been a greater push towards raw power with the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. The Wii bubble burst quite quickly and revealed where the real money is. Wii console sales were high but attach rate was low and the new customers it brought in proved to be not regular purchasers of games.

I love my Switch and Vita, but it's no longer Sony's market. Expect Nintendo to have it for themselves.

Last edited by sj33,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the switch got game of the year and its selling alot and sony said they can't ignore nintendo so i can see them trying to copy it.
a) is there a reasonably well accepted game of the year? As far as I can see it is a concept anybody can claim for themselves and nobody particularly takes the term seriously, give or take I think it was 2011 with two worlds 2 where some questioned why it might justify a GOTY version with GOTY in the name. The concept, or a functional equivalent, of the goty version of a game had existed for many years prior (usually being called a gold version, not to be confused with a game going gold). Films technically have the Oscars but even those are not without controversy and a considerable amount of people being completely ambivalent towards them.
b) how well is well? 13 million seems to be Nintendo's (optimistic) launch year projection but 19 million is Sony's four years in number for 2017 ( https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/7/16746222/ps4-sales-70-million-units ). Compared to some phones and tablets those numbers might be a smaller region or rounding error.

Lmaokernel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe Sony said they're done in the handheld market, They neglected the vita hard anyways.
But the switch is highly successful. It runs fucking doom and skyrim. Even if they're downgraded versions that's still impressive. And with titles like Mario odyssey and xenoblade it's kind of a must have console already and it hasn't been out for a year yet if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft got in on the handheld market though. They could really make something great with exclusives like gears of war and halo just to name a couple.

The handheld market is evolving like never before. Sure it doesn't fit in your pocket anymore but that doesn't matter anymore. With power like the switch offers I don't mind carrying it.

Hell the Phat vita didn't really fit in your pocket either (slim kinda does) and it's still got some power to it. Not so much now that we got the switch but for its time it's still pretty impressive. It's actually one of my favorite consoles thanks to the scene devs and hackers. So much wasted potential. The psp was amazing. So many great games and the go model is the shit. It's still my go to device for emulation.

But I doubt anyone would try to compete with the switch although I hope someone does

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Duuh K3Nv2