How much longer do you think the Switch will last?

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, and the Switch has even surpassed the PS4's massive install base to become the third highest selling gaming system of all time, only behind the PS2 and DS.

Plus, just as retro styled games and collections continue to saturate the digital only gaming landscape, its very easy to see, that like the PS4, the Switch will be around for quite awhile even once it's successor arrives.
Agreed, I personally think that the Switch is really good as a handheld console but not as a home console. As a handheld console it blows the 3DS and the Vita out of the water but it really does not stand up well as a home console
it's like using a PlayStation TV to play Vita and PSP games; they were meant for a smaller screen and a weaker console so they look like crap when upscaled to a 1080p display

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, I personally think that the Switch is really good as a handheld console but not as a home console. As a handheld console it blows the 3DS and the Vita out of the water but it really does not stand up well as a home console
it's like using a PlayStation TV to play Vita and PSP games; they were meant for a smaller screen and a weaker console so they look like crap when upscaled to a 1080p display
Its great as a hyrbid is what it is. Nintendo would be smart to recognize the sector of the market that they've cornered. And my money says that they have. A Switch 2 may not do as well as the first, but the first has performed so well like the original Wii or DS, that it seems clear that a Switch 2 is the inevitable follow-up that we'll see like the Wii U or 3DS. But I think a Switch 2 would certainly perform better than the Wii U, and quite possibly the 3DS, though the 3DS was no failure, it just paled compared to the original DS in terms of sales.

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Its great as a hyrbid is what it is. Nintendo would be smart to recognize the sector of the market that they've cornered. And my money says that they have. A Switch 2 may not do as well as the first, but the firs has performed so well like the original Wii or DS, that it seems clear that a Switch 2 is the inevitable follow-up that we'll see.
Nintendo even said in a recentish press conference that they want to avoid doing what happened with the Wii -> Wii U and the DS -> 3DS with the Switch's successor

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo even said in a recentish press conference that they want to avoid doing what happened with the Wii -> Wii U and the DS -> 3DS with the Switch's successor
Well in terms of the Wii U, just giving it a solid name alone should be enough. And while the 3DS was no DS in terms of sales, it was also no failure. I wouldn't mind at all if the Switch 2 was to the Switch 1, what the 3DS was to the DS. Even if that means it wont approach the ridiculous amount of sales as its predecessor.

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Well in terms of the Wii U, just giving it a solid name alone should be enough. And while the 3DS was no DS in terms of sales, it was also no failure. I wouldn't mind at all if the Switch 2 was to the Switch 1, what the 3DS was to the DS. Even if that means it wont approach the ridiculous amount of sales as its predecessor.
I believe they only mentioned the DS to the 3DS because it had an extremely rocky first year or two
The hardware was expensive, there weren't many games for it, etc

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New Switch has been there on standby for a long time already. You don't kill a goose that lays golden eggs. As long as Switch is still producing golden eggs it will not be replaced. This is just being competent management, I won't expect anything less from Nintendo. There is no such thing as you can tell if something will sell before you bring it to market. Switch is in very good shape today, I would say better than ever. Launching New Switch will seriously damage Switch, would be very close to killing this goose that lays golden eggs.

Didn't you read that Microsoft sign up to release Switch games for the next 10 years?

Predicting how long Switch will last base on the HW being not strong is foolish as the HW had never been strong. It's in no worst shape that it ever had been (being last).

Last edited by TomSwitch,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe they only mentioned the DS to the 3DS because it had an extremely rocky first year or two
The hardware was expensive, there weren't many games for it, etc
Well whatever the reasoning for the statement, I hold no objections to a 3DS-level follow up to the DS-level Switch 1.

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I really hope that this leaked Nvidia chip ends up being in the new Switch or whatever it is
(context: The "Tegra239" is a chipset that was leaked by Nvidia themselves, supposedly it is being used for the next Switch; it's based on the Nvidia Orin, with an Ampere-based SoC and a graphics API capable of raytracing and DLSS 2.2, capable of 4 TFLOPS of performance vs the Switch's 0.4 TFLOPS; I'd like to think of it as being on par with something like the PS4 Pro but with RT and DLSS)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't you read that Microsoft sign up to release Switch games for the next 10 years?
Don't mistake their wording. Microsoft has agreed to release only Call of Duty games specifically to Nintendo for 10 years. It did not specify the OG Switch at all. In fact by the time that agreement starts to come to fruition (perhaps holiday of next year) I wouldn't be surprised if the Call of Duty game is for the Switch's successor and 7 years later, the next 3 years of releases are for the Switch 3 or whatever may be next. And/or maybe it will still have Switch 1 compatability by only having a cloud version for the OG model, as Nintendo has had no problem with embracing cloud versions of far too intense games for native play on the Switch in recent years.

I mean think about it with the logic you're bringing, Call of Duty games will have to be natively playable on the Switch 1 for 10 years from now? Are you trying to claim that the successor won't come out until 2033 or 2034? We should very likey be on the PS7 by that point. Microsoft's agreement wasn't about one specific Nintendo system, just Nintendo in general.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cloud version is logical. I will never buy a cloud version as it defeat the purpose of buying it for Switch in the first place.

If Witcher 3 can be made so can call of duty. It’s a matter of business case not HW capability

Reactions: mathew77

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Consider the Pokemon game conga line happen every years just stop this year, I doubt it would last another year. Nintendo probably already move all their project onto new console now and their last game will be Pikmin 4 which will be port to new console at lauch with Zelda.

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This maaaay very well be their new Gameboy. Or for a more recent example, the new PS2.
I’ve seem Temtem skip PS4 (and maybe Xbox One) in favor of PS5 and Xbox Series… and Switch.

It’s less a matter of “what can & can’t run this?” & more a matter of “where are people playing right now?”
Seeing Valiant Hearts skip PS3 helped put that message into me long ago

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, read the world around you. If you think the Switch has 4+ full years ahead of it (to get to 10 full year) before its successor takes its place, you're delusional.

It's not hard to see that the successor will almost certainly be a backwards compatible Switch 2 utilizing the same servers, and digital storefront, the two are going to live alongside each other for at least a few years. This isn't even something I'm dying for mind you, it's just the most logical thing that will happen, even by Nintendo's standards.

My thoughts on the gimmick you speak of is: in portable form, glasses-free 3D like the 3DS, in docked form, the ability to pair with a Switch 1 (or another Switch 2) for optional dual screen Wii U-like play, (I mean with already nearly 130 million Switchs out there, it'd be so easy to get Switch 2 owners into a dual screen environment without having to charge extra for some built-in screen controller).
"It's not hard to see that the successor will almost certainly be a backwards compatible Switch 2 utilizing the same servers, and digital storefront, the two are going to live alongside each other for at least a few years. This isn't even something I'm dying for mind you, it's just the most logical thing that will happen, even by Nintendo's standards." This is basically all I was asking for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!