Do you like Gimmicks in shooters?

What is your favorite gimmick in a shooter if any?

• None, like it without

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Power of time, Things like Slow Mo, Reverse, Stop, Change object/person's age

• Mental, Things like telekinesis(to push, lift, throw etc), Possession, pyrokinesis, Shield, Decoy

• Stealth, Things like Cloak, Decoy, Increased Camo or the choice to sneak by

• Physical, Higher HP, Free Run, Higher Mobility, Ability to Quad Wield

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Items like, Turrets, Barriers, Air Support, Mortar Fire, Bombing, Healing, Jetpacks, Gliding, Grappl

• Unique Weapons, Freeze Gun, Flamethrower, Lightning Weapon, Guided Sniper which usually slows time t

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Vechicals, Things like tanks, bikes, planes, etc

• RPG elements and or choices

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Spells There are a lot of spells

• Other there are some more or a lot more....

• Total voters

Rasas

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are some shooters with gimmicks this seventh console generation and the sixth, which ones are your favorite if any? I personally like the one in Timeshift the most with Borderlands being 2nd but that game doesn't really count.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really varies from game to game. Whatever mechanic suits the game the best, makes it more fun and engaging, and feels like an integral part of the experience is fine by me.

Reactions: 1 person

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hurk i dont think any amount of gimmick makes a game, especially a shooter, entertaining. I have to be playing with my friends.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you know what a "gimmick" is.

a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature.

Not many (if any) of those listed are "gimmicks". They're part of the gameplay.

Reactions: 4 people

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
For the most past I never use extra gameplay mechanics unless needed to accomplish an objective within the game, I suppose my favourite in that list would be RPG elements.

I don't like vehicles, especially if forced to use them, I find they detract from the gameplay, usually have lacklustre controls and are generally more infuriating than fun.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I refuse to answer this poll until "gimmick" is changed into gameplay mechanic.

Gimmicks are, as Guild notes, things that make the game stand out for them just to stand out. Examples:
-the redeemer in the UT series
-the badmouthing of Duke Nukem or serious Sam
-the whole "cake" thing in portal (I know it's not a shooter)

The thing with gimmicks is that they can pretty much be slapped into the game by the marketing department if they feel the game doesn't have enough identity by itself. Core gameplay mechanics, on the other hand, should be made clear from day one of the design process. Calling that a gimmick is not only plain wrong, it's also a bit offensive. It's confusing what is important to the core of the game with windowdressing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Obligatory comment about shooters and shmups.

Redeemer huh.... I wonder if Perfect Dark's Slayer came about from it (UT 99 was first but only by a couple of months but then I suppose I have to take into accounts betas and pre release).

Normally I would consider listing gimmicks/mechanics I do not like but after contextual kills as interpreted by most games today with the possible exception of Bulletstorm* I can probably think of a game I thought it was implemented well in and vice versa for ones I do like.
Vehicles are slowly getting better and the day I can say poke your racing game I have ? will be a good day indeed. As it stands though I really enjoyed driving in Just Cause 2 so I imagine that day will be sooner rather than later and coming the other way I did not mind Far Cry 2 vehicles that much in retrospect and given some decent courses to take them on (a la Just Cause 2) and things get interesting.

*also want to mention the Star Wars force unleashed- so so game but if they could up that technology it would still count as contextual but work really well.

I will have to leave it with most of those things you describe were seen in many early games and there were good maps, bad maps, maps effectively allowing for symmetric play, maps that required asymmetric play, maps/mods using only a few of the total options and as a result effectively creating a new game.

Before I come off as a "back in the day type" I will take the time to state they most certainly were not better and give me upgrades to engines and keep them coming after that. Upgrade enough and I might even play multiplayer games online against random people again (not likely mind you but not impossible).

Edit- certainly not best but games that have seen me interested enough to bother remembering them properly
Stalker - general gameplay for me
Metro 2033 - not necessarily story but certainly a potential for it to influence a future game.
Some of the later Jedi Knight games although once I got it so I could pick up the gamepad when starting to swing a lightsaber.

Although in many ways it would be more interesting than the current modern/slightly near future military theme and world war 2 theme that preceded it I would be horrified if every future game attempted to be a clone of one of those but for my money those games have some of the most interesting lessons to learn from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy