Poll: Reimplementation Wishlist

Extloga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The idea of bringing this topic on the agenda of a thread came to my mind after watching the successful development of the ever-improving "Ship of Harkinian", which is an absolute role model for reimplementation efforts of games.

As I am just interested in hearing opinions and ideas from the users of these fora, I would be thankful if no one is writing typical comments like "Code it yourself!" or something similar. It is just to read and discuss the vox populi without any obligation for any programming literate.

This thread contains a poll in which you can vote for five games, which you would like to see in a reimplemented and improved port like the aforementioned one.

The Rules:

- You can vote for five different games.

- Adhere to reasonably realistic wishes. Therefore games from the seventh video game console generation (X360 / PS3 / WII) or newer ones are not allowed.

- Write some sentences about your reasoning and your feature wishes for an expanded reimplementation.

- Try to avoid games, which are already in an in-progress state.

Poll Results

Last time updated: 15 October 2023

1. Bugs Bunny - Lost in Time (PC/PS1) [1 vote]
-. Evolva (PC) [1 vote]
-. Gran Turismo (PS1) [1 vote]
-. Hype - The Time Quest (PC/PS2) [1 vote]
-. Mafia (PC/PS2/XBOX) [1 vote]
-. MDK (PC/PS1) [1 vote]
-. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64) [1 vote]
-. Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee (PC/XBOX) [1 vote]
-. Skies of Arcadia Legends (NGC) [1 vote]
-. Way of the Samurai 2 (PS2) [1 vote]

Including votes from: lokomelo, Extloga

Last edited by Extloga,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
It is a wishlist, right? If I got it wrong, ignore my post.

Ship of Harkinian has lots going on under the hood, but for the end user basically gives better technical performance and "moddability". So I believe your question is what games people would like to have all of that. I also believe that you mean 3D games, those are not among my favorites but I'll do a list anyway.

- Gran Turismo (1 or 2) - It would be awesome to have it look good on modern hardware and have the ability to "install" cars. Car models are really easy to obtain this days, it would be cool.

- Bugs bunny lost it time PS1

- Mystical Ninja for the N64 (I don't remember the exact name)

- MDK for PC

- Evolva for PC

Note that there is no Saturn on this list because the Saturn got tons of remasters already, but best early 3D games are there IMO (and sadly the remasters are not that good, also IMO)

Extloga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. Mafia (PC/PS2/XBOX)

"Mafia" is in my humble opinion, one of the best games of all time. An intriguing story with likeable characters, thoughtful dialogues, interesting missions, tons of unlockable cars, and a game engine, which was ahead of its time. Sadly, its free roam mode is rather anaemic and without multiplayer. In this particular case, there is massive potential, which was unused at the time of the initial release. Local multiplayer modes like a co-op free roam mode with more interactivity, reasonable missions, and a fair amount of accessible locations, a mode for different user-defined scenarios like car chases or a simple versus mode, but also new singleplayer missions, which would support the main story in a meaningful way, would add immeasurable value to this gem.

2. Hype - The Time Quest (PC/PS2)

A forgotten game, which is dusty and waiting for its resuscitation is "Hype - The Time Quest". An underrated mix of Action-Adventure and Platformer with a time-travelling topic. Someone even called it the answer to Ocarina of Time on the PC. You have to find jewels, which are allowing you to travel in time, while trying to return to the future or more precisely the fourth era. While it offers a good variety of different gameplay elements during a playthrough (Jump & Run, Boss Fights, Racing, Puzzles, Collectables), the world always looks a bit empty. More locations, characters, and sidequests could bring new life to this game. Extending the storyline through new eras would be even more amazing. Frustratingly, the N64 version of the game was ultimately cancelled, a multiplayer mode was also cancelled, and a fan-led initiative to remake this game is dormant since many years.

3. Skies of Arcadia Legends (NGC)

I always thought that the strategically interesting armada battle system of "Skies of Arcadia Legends" was a little bit wasted, if it is only used in the limited scenario of the singleplayer story. A multiplayer mode with selectable formations as well as unlockable ships and items could bring even more depth to this system. Ultimately, it could even be an experience similar to "Advance Wars". Additionally, I think that it would be a good cadidate for a randomization mode like the one in "Ship of Harkinian". There are some RPGs with interesting battle systems like "Jade Empire" or "Sudeki", which were not used in future games and could really flourish when used in user-defined singleplayer and multiplayer scenarios, but SoAL's armada battle system is the most interesting in my view.

4. Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee (PC/XBOX)

Another mix of Action-Adventure and Platformer is "Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee", which is the third released game in the series. The two very unique protagonists are helping each other, while the player has to switch between those two with a button press to advance through the game. It is downright inviting for a co-op multiplayer mode, as the gameplay proves in every single level. Just off the top of my head, I have several ideas for well-designed co-op levels, but it also lacks an editor for user-created levels. Long story short: It needs the modes and features from "Portal". Disappointingly, there are only remasters, which are just upscaling the graphics but not even fixing the bugs from the original.

5. Way of the Samurai 2 (PS2)

"Way of the Samurai 2" is the second part of the series, which is known as "Samurai Dou" in Japan. An Action-Adventure with different endings, which you can reach based on your decisions during a playthrough. Considering the first two titles of the series, which were released for the PS2, especially the second one always seemed to me like a lost opportunity. The first entry of the series had a small but eventful world and a multiplayer versus mode with unlockable characters and stages. Number two lacks both although the premise of the game is undoubtedly good. Beside the implementation of a multiplayer mode and more events in the story mode, the implementation of alternative storylines would be the cherry on the top for a game, which fell short of expectations at the time of the initial release.
Post automatically merged:

It is a wishlist, right?
Yes! :)

I also believe that you mean 3D games, those are not among my favorites but I'll do a list anyway.
No, you can choose 2D games as well. The games shall not be from the seventh video game console generation or newer, but older games are allowed of course and you can edit your post respectively. ^_^

Last edited by Extloga,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. Mafia (PC/PS2/XBOX)

"Mafia" is in my humble opinion, one of the best gmes of all time. An intriguing story with likeable characters, thoughtful dialogues, interesting missions, tons of unlickable cars, and a game engine, which was ahead of its time. Sadly, its free roam mode is rather anaemic and without multiplayer. In this particular case, there is massive potential, which was unused at the time of the initial release. Local multiplayer modes like a co-op free roam mode with more interactivity, reasonable missions, and a fair amount of accessible locations, a mode for different user-defined scenarios like car chases or a simple versus mode, but also new singleplayer missions, which would support the main story in a meaningful way, would add immeasurable value to this gem.

2. Hype - The Time Quest (PC/PS2)

A forgotten game, which is dusty and waiting for its resuscitation is "Hype - The Time Quest". An underrated mix of Action-Adventure and Platformer with a time-travelling topic. Someone even called it the answer to Ocarina of Time on the PC. You have to find jewels, which are allowing you to travel in time, while trying to return to the future or more precisely the fourth era. While it offers a good variety of different gameplay elements during a playthrough (Jump & Run, Boss Fights, Racing, Puzzles, Collectables), the world always looks a bit empty. More locations, characters, and sidequests could bring new life to this game. Extending the storyline through new eras would be even more amazing. Frustratingly, the N64 version of the game was ultimately cancelled, a multiplayer mode was also cancelled, and a fan-led initiative to remake this game is dormant since many years.

3. Skies of Arcadia Legends (NGC)

I always thought that the strategically interesting armada battle system of "Skies of Arcadia Legends" was a little bit wasted, if it is only used in the limited scenario of the singleplayer story. A multiplayer mode with selectable formations as well as unlockable ships and items could bring even more depth to this system. Ultimately, it could even be an experience similar to "Advance Wars". Additionally, I think that it would be a good cadidate for a randomization mode like the one in "Ship of Harkinian". There are some RPGs with interesting battle systems like "Jade Empire" or "Sudeki", which were not used in future games and could really flourish when used in user-defined singleplayer and multiplayer scenarios, but SoAL's armada battle system is the most interesting in my view.

4. Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee (PC/XBOX)

Another mix of Action-Adventure and Platformer is "Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee", which is the third released game in the series. The two very unique protagonists are helping each other, while the player has to switch between those two with a button press to advance through the game. It is downright inviting for a co-op multiplayer mode, as the gameplay proves in every single level. Just off the top of my head, I have several ideas for well-designed co-op levels, but it also lacks an editor for user-created levels. Long story short: It needs the modes and features from "Portal". Disappointingly, there are only remasters, which are just upscaling the graphics but not even fixing the bugs from the original.

5. Way of the Samurai 2 (PS2)

"Way of the Samurai 2" is the second part of the series, which is known as "Samurai Dou" in Japan. An Action-Adventure with different endings, which you can reach based on your decisions during a playthrough. Considering the first two titles of the series, which were released for the PS2, especially the second one always seemed to me like a lost opportunity. The first entry of the series had a small but eventful world and a multiplayer versus mode with unlockable characters and stages. Number two lacks both although the premise of the game is undoubtedly good. Beside the implementation of a multiplayer mode and more events in the story mode, the implementation of alternative storylines would be the cherry on the top for a game, which fell short of expectations at the time of the initial release.
Post automatically merged:
Are you a bot? Just curious because you sound like ChatGPT, and that you've been paid to do this with Elon Musk at gun point.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the DOOM franchise?

Extloga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you a bot? Just curious because you sound like ChatGPT, and that you've been paid to do this with Elon Musk at gun point.
WTH?!?

I don't know if my style of writing is similar to the one of ChatGPT, as I never used it.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the DOOM franchise?
I prefer Action-Adventures, RPGs, and games with innovative approaches like "Portal" in the past or more recently "The Stanley Parable". "DOOM" is in my opinion, and I do not want to insult any fans of the series, just another entry in the myriad of shooter games. "Borderlands" with its RPG elements is the only series in this genre, which could arouse my interest.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe but is it worth it?