Do you like gangsta rap?

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, though, if you just want something that is vulgar and loaded with themes from the rule of the jungle, then you want Kool Keith's latest, Magnetic Pimp Force Field.

If you want to go old school, then I'd have to start with Gang Starr, Public Enemy, or BDP's Criminal Minded. Or you could go on back to, Run-DMC, Grandmaster Flash, The Last Poets and Gil Scott Heron. Of course if you are talking pimps, hoes and such, then you want Ultramagnetic M.C.'s (smack my bitch up).

Moving it forward, Dre went from "Egypt Egypt" to World Class Wrecking Crew, on to NWA, and that was the last of his best as far as I'm concerned. Likewise, NWA only remained relevant to me in their first album, and each of their first solo albums. Beyond that, it began to suck for the most part, maybe Cube being the exception. D.O.C. couldn't help his accident, so that is what that is.

Beyond that, the rest of the gangster scene sucks. Dead Prez is good though, Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Payday Monsanto, El Da Sensei and The Returners, Killer Mike, ELP, Pharoahe Monch, Billy Woods, Super Chron Flight Brothers, Armand Hammer, etc. Not sure what everyone here refers to as "gangster", but it's street, it's life, it's the world, is about solutions rather than mere pollution.

Analog%20Brothers%20-%20Pimp%20To%20Eat.jpg

Reactions: gamefan5

flabulousfreddy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of niggas nowadays don't even know what good rap is. Eazy E and Ice Cube were good rappers.

A-FUCKING-MEN!

A lot of these fucking kids these days think of "gangsta" as a bunch of fucking idiots getting drunk, going clubbing, and talking about all the shit they got. I grew up near Newark. Next town over. I grew up with REAL Gangsta Rap. N.W.A., KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane, Biggie(and Junior M.A.F.I.A.), 2Pac and the other shit that wasn't rap, but was a part of the culture like Jodeci, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.

Gangsta rap had soul, it had a message. It was a warning. "This is what I went through, here's why you should try to get out". It was a form of therapy, an outlet.

Now, it's just all bullshit and studio made.

I miss those old days man. We memorized the songs so much, we could spit word for word, even the DIRTY version. We used to spit with the radio and fill in the skips where the curses were.

Let me share one that a lot of people seem to have forgotten. If you remember this, you WERE there for the good old days:

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A-FUCKING-MEN!

A lot of these fucking kids these days think of "gangsta" as a bunch of fucking idiots getting drunk, going clubbing, and talking about all the shit they got. I grew up near Newark. Next town over. I grew up with REAL Gangsta Rap. N.W.A., KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane, Biggie(and Junior M.A.F.I.A.), 2Pac and the other shit that wasn't rap, but was a part of the culture like Jodeci, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.

Gangsta rap had soul, it had a message. It was a warning. "This is what I went through, here's why you should try to get out". It was a form of therapy, an outlet.

Now, it's just all bullshit and studio made.

I miss those old days man. We memorized the songs so much, we could spit word for word, even the DIRTY version. We used to spit with the radio and fill in the skips where the curses were.

Let me share one that a lot of people seem to have forgotten. If you remember this, you WERE there for the good old days:

Makes me sad because although I was born in 96 and missed those days when I started to listen to hip hop I found I liked run dmc , geto boys,tupac, biggie, Beastie boys,wu tang, nwa, lakim shabazz, BDP, and what not then I discovered some good mainstream rappers like eminem,nas,jay z, outkast and Kendrick Lamar in addition to god Indy/underground like run the jewels, el p, slugg, rob sonic, and Aesop rock.
Either way I upsets me my pal will listen to that YMCMB crap but not good stuff

purupuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gangsta rap? Is that some kind of joke? Most of those so called gangstas keepin it real are living pampered life styles. Sure they're gangstas

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm from Houston so I know about those two and can say i love scareface in geto boys and as a single. I'm not a huge slim thug fan but he is better then most of the current crap rappers.

I love geto boys, and have ever since I bought the Office Space soundtrack. :3

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love geto boys, and have ever since I bought the Office Space soundtrack. :3
Sweet! Yeah the geto boys are probably the most underrated rap group of all time and what they accomplished was huge plus they were one of the first great groups (or artist for that matter) that wasnt from Cali or NY .

Reactions: Jayro

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Money, woman, guns, killing people, police being bastards.
All the rapsongs ever made are about that.

No I don't like rap.
However, there's one song from Ice cube which I do like, mainly cause of it being in GTA SA.

Reactions: Depravo

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Money, woman, guns, killing people, police being bastards.
All the rapsongs ever made are about that.

No I don't like rap.
However, there's one song from Ice cube which I do like, mainly cause of it being in GTA SA.
Thats fact rap a lot of good rap is thought provoking and makes you think (try Aesop rock's none shall pass if you think rap is nonsense about violence)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thats fact rap a lot of good rap is thought provoking and makes you think (try Aesop rock's none shall pass if you think rap is nonsense about violence)

Couldn't care less.
Don't like it in general, don't going to listen to it as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work