Gaming Do you agree with my top 10 RPG list for the DS?

Bleedingelite

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords, Final Fantasy IV, and TWEWY are undoubtedly the 3 greatest RPGs on the DS as far as I'm concerned. I've got pretty high hopes for Infinite Space too.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent review. It's great to see new members contribute in such a positive way like this. While I'm not really an RPG fan, your vid has convinced me to look into Chrono Trigger and Suikoden, as well as Kingdom Hearts a little more closely. That's a rare thing for me, so kudos for that!

Keep up the good work and welcome to GBAtemp!

taken

Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:
@Guild-

Dude, what game has taken and done time travel "better" than Chrono Trigger (in a similar style or whatever). Because i want to play that game. I've never seen time travel done as well as it was in CT. Rarely have i ever even seen it done in games period.

And how can the same game (FF4) be boring on one system but not the other? Especially when all it really adds up to is updated graphics?

Lastly, i'd wonder how someone can fault KH for being repetitive and not Pokemon. No offense. The rest of your opinions are your own and fair.
Granville I only seen it done once before than Chrono Trigger. Yes it's one a different system the Snes. The game called Secrets of Evermore, great game.

Sleepy_Sheep

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Being a big RPG fan, I would have liked to have seen Suikoden placed higher on the list, as IMO it has some of the best FMV and voice acting in a DS game to date. Also I would have liked to have seen The Dark Spire and Etrian Odyssey II on there as well, although the latter two can be a little tough going.

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
taken said:
granville said:
@Guild-

Dude, what game has taken and done time travel "better" than Chrono Trigger (in a similar style or whatever). Because i want to play that game. I've never seen time travel done as well as it was in CT. Rarely have i ever even seen it done in games period.

And how can the same game (FF4) be boring on one system but not the other? Especially when all it really adds up to is updated graphics?

Lastly, i'd wonder how someone can fault KH for being repetitive and not Pokemon. No offense. The rest of your opinions are your own and fair.
Granville I only seen it done once before than Chrono Trigger. Yes it's one a different system the Snes. The game called Secrets of Evermore, great game.
SoE is one of my favorite SNES RPGs. Some really great writing in that game, lots of humor. Similar gameplay to the Mana series, but IMO done better in a lot of ways.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
put me firmly in the "where's Puzzle Quest?" camp (note: PQ2 comes out soon).

Also, while I agree with Guildy 90% (I can't help but notice that's almost always true from what I've read from her) I too have to ask for examples for games that take CT's style/innovations and improve upon them.

Heck, a mediocre CT clone would be worthwhile to me even.

Edited to add: And Pokemon? Really?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
@Guild-

Dude, what game has taken and done time travel "better" than Chrono Trigger (in a similar style or whatever). Because i want to play that game. I've never seen time travel done as well as it was in CT. Rarely have i ever even seen it done in games period. Just because it did time travel well doesn't mean it's a great game. I can make a video game about animals who shoot lasers out of their bums and say that no game handles bum laser shooting animals better. It's not a bad game, but really, I just find it to be good at best.

And how can the same game (FF4) be boring on one system but not the other? Especially when all it really adds up to is updated graphics? If you want to know, I have no fucking clue. I picked up FFIV DS a bunch of times and it was snoozeville. Picked up the GBA version and played that a lot. It's hard to explain. Maybe the cutscenes were long winded or something, IDK

Lastly, i'd wonder how someone can fault KH for being repetitive and not Pokemon. No offense. The rest of your opinions are your own and fair. Pokemon is "repetitive" as a series. 358/2 was incredibly repetitive, you can't argue that. A small amount of locales combined with near-identical missions time and time again. In the end it became hack, slash, repeat. For the entire game. At least the first KH and the like had larger, more various locales so it provided something relatively new as you progressed through the story. Pokemon may be "repetitive" from game to game, but it's a gameplay formula that was fantastic in the beginning. Yes, it's losing steam, I can acknowledge that, but it's still a game that fits the handheld like a glove. Hundreds of play hours, tons of strategy, etc.

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guildy, sweetheart, we asked for examples to hear what sort of "similar" games you rank as better than Chrono. The main reason wasn't to call bullplop on you, but to go seek out these apparently better games.

And for the record, I totally agree with you about FFIV. Somehow, despite upping the graphics, the game just fell flat. Not only that, but as others have said in other recent threads, they broke the engine.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd have to greatly agree with Guild's comments on Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, FF4 and Dragon Quest. I'd have to agree with TWEWY being number 1. It seems like you either absolutely love TWEWY or you are like "Meh" as Guild is with it. I think TWEWY will always have a place in my heart because of the interesting plot, battle system, and the music. There's alot of different aspects I loved. One would probably have to be that it's one of the only J-RPGs that takes place in present time and isn't like FF where it's like "We have machines that can destroy entire countries but we still ride horses, isn't our backwards way of advancement interesting!?".

I'd also have to say that Guild doesn't seem like the JRPG fan (no offense to you Guild). He just doesn't seem to enjoy how some things are repetitive. I see in a lot of your JRPG reviews, Guild, that you always note the repetitiveness of the games. I mean sure, games like 358/2 were overly repetitive, but JRPGs in general have a natural amount of repetition to them anyways. All I'm saying is that its something you get used to.

Another thing to note is (and I'm not trying to be racist here) Japanese people are alot more patient compared to Americans. If you remember in Final Fantasy Dissidia they said that the tutorial in the Japanese version was over an hour long, and they had to shorten it to make it less of a snooze fest for us.

(There's probably multiple spelling or grammar mistakes here, I'm using IE 6...no spell check ftl T.T)

Redwolfeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If I was to make my own list, It would be:

10 - Final Fantasy III
9 - Final Fantasy IV
8 - Shin Megami Tensei
7 - Dragon Quest V
6 - Crono Trigger
5 - Bowser's Inside Story
4 - Pokémon D/P/Pl
3 - Pokemon HG/SS
2 - The world ends with you
1 - Kingdom Hearts

This isn't a list constructed by statistics or anything, just my personal enjoyment

banjotron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Objectively speaking, it's pretty well put together. I'd say it's at least a B in terms of presentation and voice and video quality. Keep in mind that most youtube lists/reviews, especially if they have anything to do with RPG's, are like F--, so B is head and shoulders above most.

I stayed for the accent.

I also liked the "Shut up you!" part. Then again, I like chatter during reviews. Some people find it annoying, but some people like it. It's kind of a toss-up. Some people like reviews for the entertainment value and want some fluff in there, some just want straight-up, objective commentary.

banjotron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked out your channel. For an eighteen year-old, you put out pretty solid stuff. Keep at it. You could get pretty good at this. Just don't let what I've said get to your head.
tongue.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10 - Final Fantasy III: Never bothered really playing it. Again, the DS FF games are somehow worse than other versions, IDK why
9 - Final Fantasy IV: Same as above, GBA version is better
8 - Shin Megami Tensei: Pretty good RPG
7 - Dragon Quest V: Pretty outdated
6 - Crono Trigger: Wouldn't put it that high...
5 - Bowser's Inside Story: Deserves to be higher. An absolutely excellent game
4 - Pokémon D/P/Pl: Might as well clump all the Pokemon games together
3 - Pokemon HG/SS: Ups
2 - The world ends with you: Cluttered control mess meets obvious otaku shoutouts. Not a bad game, but definitely not #2 or possibly even Top 10
1 - Kingdom Hearts: Hack, slash, repeat. For all 358 days.

IDK if I could name 10 good DS RPGs, honestly. I say this a lot, but I feel it's true: The DS has a lot of RPGs, just not a lot of good ones.

10. Sands of Destruction: Pretty good battle mechanics with a lot of traditional RPG stuff. Fun, but it barely hit the Top 10
9. Chrono Trigger: It's still kinda old and, IMO, hasn't aged perfectly, but it's still an overall solid RPG experience
8. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker: A Pokemon rip-off that's actually fun for once. And it looks great too.
7. Nostalgia: It's uninnovative as hell but it pulls off the old concepts very well. I liked it, others didn't
6. Glory of Heracles: It's pretty linear, but it's a great looking game with solid mechanics and a huge play time
5. Contact: Offbeat and with a lot of Earthbound type styles, it's actually a fun and thoroughly enjoyable RPG
4. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor: Lots of depth, content, and good mechanics
3. Bowser's Inside Story: Funny, imaginative, and totally awesome. I hated Mario and Luigi games until this.
2. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords: Addictive as fuck and a RPG that even non-hardcore RPGers can play. PSP version is better
1. Pokemon (in general): While opinion is mixed on whether Pokemon is still good or if it's past expiration date, the sheer amount of content and the amount of man hours make this game top

I know, it's a shitty list, but I don't think the DS has a lot of "cream of the crop" RPGs.

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but I still have to take umbrage with the roof raising over Pokemon. "man hours" don't a good game make. I have to agree with those that criticize you saying that KH is repetitive and then saying how you think pokemon is worthwhile. It's the same game it was 12 years ago, with very minimal graphic improvement, and barely more innovation than a sports franchise.

Yes, it's long, but that's because it just sits there and banks on the OCD that video games/mass marketing have instilled in people that a complete set is worth more than a fun one.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
I'm sorry, but I still have to take umbrage with the roof raising over Pokemon. "man hours" don't a good game make. I have to agree with those that criticize you saying that KH is repetitive and then saying how you think pokemon is worthwhile. It's the same game it was 12 years ago, with very minimal graphic improvement, and barely more innovation than a sports franchise.

Yes, it's long, but that's because it just sits there and banks on the OCD that video games/mass marketing have instilled in people that a complete set is worth more than a fun one.

Well, if people will buy the yearly (and very small) sports game's updates every single year, why wouldn't people buy a long worthwhile pokemon game with: new pokemon, new gyms, new places, new features, and a game that is actually fun. Just my 2 cents.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without DQ4 or FF3 on the list I can't agree at all. Also you can see the FF3 vs FF4 on DS poll, FF4 doesn't deserve being listed as it's gameplay broken.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice list. I can mostly agree, although I think I'd:

Remove:
FFIV (just didn't like this version, I'm far too used to sprites)
Pokemon (loved R/B/Y and G/S/C, haven't been able to get back into it)
Suikoden (oh God the voices)

Add:
SRT OG Saga (just incredible battle system)
FFTA2 (overall awesome game)
Knights in the Nightmare (if it counts as an RPG lol)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://infimobile.com/details/plans-5734270 this is kinda tempting