Hardware Do not buy ANY 3DS repairs from Orthustechnology on eBay!

Nintenga4852

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On November 20th, I bought a service from Orthustechnology to repair my 3DS systems, a 3DS XL and a 3DS. I've been messaging the seller a few days before buying the service.

http://i.imgur.com/HL1p40K.png

My problem is, that the 3DS XL I had, had a large, very visible particle under the "screen lens", the plastic, clear cover that shields the LCD (top screen). Orthustechnology had no objections to the nature of this repair, naturally, I assumed it was in their ability to get rid of all the dust under the screen lens. I also assumed all the parts they would use are of genuine quality, going by their feedback history. After a little deliberation, I decided to get my 3DS repaired as well, the problem it had, was that the screen lens on the top screen had the vertical scratches caused by the bezel of the bottom screen while closed. It had absolutely no issues with dust under the screen or anything else with the LCD. The listing offered covered two devices per purchase, so it made sense to get both my systems to Orthustechnology.

A few weeks passed, and I finally got my systems back. I was not happy. I first observed my 3DS XL, the problem was actually WORSE now, there was large dust particles all over the top screen under the new screen lens, which was marred by several scratches and scuffs than CANNOT be removed, because they were on the surface that was facing the INSIDE of the system. Not only that, but my LCD was damaged as well! My LCD now has a discolored region in the right hand corner.

Then I checked my 3DS, as I said before, this system had no problem with dust or anything, other than the scratches caused by Nintendo's GENIUS design. Well, that's changed now, now it has dust under the screen as well, and not only that, the screen lens I got that replaced it, was a CHEAP KNOCKOFF. It's a lot softer and thinner than the stock screen lens, for one, the stock screen lens NEVER flexed under touch. Also, the clod also broke one of the rubber feet on the right hand side of the top screen, now, it won't stay in, it keeps falling out.

http://i.imgur.com/7FG6nzc.png

Here's what he said when I raised this issue with him. After another message, he refunded me, something I never asked for, I wanted him to actually FIX my devices. This also removes any chance I'd get for getting the shipping costs I sunk in to get my devices to him reimbursed to me, he only refunded the return shipping and cost of the knockoff parts.

Please, do yourself a favor, if you have a 3DS in need of a repair, DO NOT BUY FROM THIS BOTCH JOB HACK CLOD, I basically paid him to damage my devices on his good word that he will fix the problems I told him about, but instead made them a lot lot LOT more worse.
http://i.imgur.com/iSKDSPX.png
Pride in their work, what a fucking joke. Please pass this on, and make sure that this butcher doesn't damage any more systems.

Reactions: 1 person

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should add pics of both systems if you can. I can totally sympathize with you on even just one dust particle behind a lens driving me crazy. :sad:

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel part of the fault is on you for going with a random fixer just assuming that they'd use genuine parts and would be able to do a quality job. Unless they explicitly state that they are using official parts, you can pretty much guarantee they'll be using Chinese parts of a questionable quality. As well, you just picked some random Ebay service, pretty much guaranteed to be a botch job on the best of days. Generally, when you want a system repaired, it's worth the cost just to send it off to Nintendo. When it comes to dust, just shooting compressed air into any available gap will get some level of desirable result. I mean, the dust has to get in somehow, so you should be able to get air in there as well.

Reactions: SmileCitrus

Nintenga4852

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel part of the fault is on you for going with a random fixer just assuming that they'd use genuine parts and would be able to do a quality job. Unless they explicitly state that they are using official parts, you can pretty much guarantee they'll be using Chinese parts of a questionable quality. As well, you just picked some random Ebay service, pretty much guaranteed to be a botch job on the best of days. Generally, when you want a system repaired, it's worth the cost just to send it off to Nintendo. When it comes to dust, just shooting compressed air into any available gap will get some level of desirable result. I mean, the dust has to get in somehow, so you should be able to get air in there as well.
Nintendo won't fix my 4.5 fw 3DS without updating it, and neither would they touch my Capture Board 3DS with a ten foot pole. Going on eBay is my only choice. Also, I bought the XL from eBay, it was a US system with a Japanese Red Mario outside on it, I highly doubt Nintendo would fix that in the first place.
Also, I checked the guy's store, the parts they had looked legit, and were labeled as such, but the ones I got were different from what he sold.

Nintenga4852

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and by the way, Nintendo doesn't cover under screen dust damage, for some reason, they don't consider it a huge impact to a customer's experience, and won't touch it unless there are extenuating circumstances.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Wow, that's atrocious! I have only one dustparticle behinde the cover of top screen of my DSi XL after I changed the case myself and this makes it unusable for me. Don't want to imagine getting back one of my devices in this state.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo won't fix my 4.5 fw 3DS without updating it, and neither would they touch my Capture Board 3DS with a ten foot pole. Going on eBay is my only choice. Also, I bought the XL from eBay, it was a US system with a Japanese Red Mario outside on it, I highly doubt Nintendo would fix that in the first place.
Also, I checked the guy's store, the parts they had looked legit, and were labeled as such, but the ones I got were different from what he sold.

If you look at his store on eBay you can see he has listings for the parts needed for your repair, yet they appear to be made by a third-party company, not original Nintendo parts. If they were Nintendo parts, they wouldn't be brand new. While I sympathize with you, you should have assumed that he would use the same parts he had active listings for, rather than original Nintendo parts, for which he didn't have a corresponding listing.

I know it's disappointing when a repair doesn't go smoothly, and maybe I'm taking an unpopular position here, but I have to defend Orthus Technology on this one. He really didn't deserve the negative feedback you left for him. I checked you out over at Toolhaus and it looks like you've been leaving negs like it's going out of style. Orthus didn't deserve this one. He apologized and refunded you even though he lost money on this transaction. He's out his shipping cost and the cost of the parts he used. It was clear in his return policy that the buyer is responsible for return shipping, so you knew ahead of time it was a possibility that you'd be out shipping costs should a problem occur.

Even Nintendo technicians do sometimes accidentally leave dust particles underneath the plastic cover for the upper screen. It's incredibly difficult to get every single particle before sealing it up. And those bumpers are held on by a weak adhesive from the factory, so it's not unusual for them to fall off. Having said that, I do think that the amount of dust under your screen lens is enough that he probably should have noticed it and corrected it prior to returning your item to you. But I do think that, once you brought the issue to his attention, he handled it in a very professional way.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you look at his store on eBay you can see he has listings for the parts needed for your repair, yet they appear to be made by a third-party company, not original Nintendo parts. If they were Nintendo parts, they wouldn't be brand new. While I sympathize with you, you should have assumed that he would use the same parts he had active listings for, rather than original Nintendo parts, for which he didn't have a corresponding listing.

I know it's disappointing when a repair doesn't go smoothly, and maybe I'm taking an unpopular position here, but I have to defend Orthus Technology on this one. He really didn't deserve the negative feedback you left for him. I checked you out over at Toolhaus and it looks like you've been leaving negs like it's going out of style. Orthus didn't deserve this one. He apologized and refunded you even though he lost money on this transaction. He's out his shipping cost and the cost of the parts he used. It was clear in his return policy that the buyer is responsible for return shipping, so you knew ahead of time it was a possibility that you'd be out shipping costs should a problem occur.

Even Nintendo technicians do sometimes accidentally leave dust particles underneath the plastic cover for the upper screen. It's incredibly difficult to get every single particle before sealing it up. And those bumpers are held on by a weak adhesive from the factory, so it's not unusual for them to fall off. Having said that, I do think that the amount of dust under your screen lens is enough that he probably should have noticed it and corrected it prior to returning your item to you. But I do think that, once you brought the issue to his attention, he handled it in a very professional way.
While it's true that it's hard to avoid a single dust particle, I think he should have checked his work afterwards before closing everything back up to make sure no dust had gotten in, and clean it off if there was dust there, especially considering dust was the reason he sent it in and the guy didn't solve the problem at all. Also the scratched up screen cover is unacceptable IMO, that's an error on his part.

However looking at the negative feedback he left I agree with you that OP is leaving way too much negative feedback. He should at least contact the seller(s) beforehand. It's not their fault if postage is slow for some reason or the package gets lost and yet they are usually more than willing to make up for it even though it isn't their fault. Frankly people like him have no business buying things on eBay. ReikaiDemon in the future you should at least give sellers a chance before you leave bad feedback. They are doing their best, but everyone makes mistakes.

Reactions: SmileCitrus

Nintenga4852

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He? I'm a she, thank you.
Also, why are you saying that I leave too much negative feedbacks? If you paid attention to my neg history, those were given over several YEARS. I gave them a chance, they were either belligerent, or non-communicative, or they obviously had inferior goods or services. Why am I on trial here for using the system for what it was intended for? 23 negative feedbacks over literally a decade is not much at all.

And in any case, that still doesn't excuse the fact that the LCD on my XL was irreparably damaged like it was smushed too hard.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo doesn't provide official repair parts and documentation to the public.

By default anyone claiming to fix a 3DS who isn't expressly under Nintendo contract is a flashing bright red flag.
Unavoidable as the risk is for debug / development systems etc one isn't "supposed" to have.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's too bad people on Gamefaqs always recommend this seller. In my opinion there's always going to be risks involved with a service like this, and from the looks of it the dude just put them back together and packed the 3DS' right away without even checking on them.

D

Deleted-355425

Luckily I work in electronics for a living so I have all the tools I need but if I was to replace somthing on my 4.x I'd just buy a new 3ds and take the screen and case and put my old board in if that's possible and sell off the new board in my old case.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I thought you were referring to a 3DS XL to "New 3DS XL" transplant. Nintendo had to choose yet another shitty name that causes confusion. :rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1