Hacking DML is driving me insane.

dustyjo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's gotta be something else going on here and I'm gonna guess it might be your SD card. The only thing left I can recommend is do a chkdsk(scan for bad sectors junk). However.. I've had the apploader issue before and what happened was I chose the wrong convert method. You're already using Extracted though. I'd try another loader like PostLoader or WiiFlow and see what errors those give you. If they STILL give you errors and you've already tried running a chkdsk then the only other solution is to use another ISO because chances are if all else fails its because the game itself is to blame. Of course if THAT fails you might want to try another SD card or USB drive.

Also it's not uncommon if SD formatter says your SD card doesn't support full erase because it says that about my SD card too(actually its Micro SD with SD adapter). What you want to select is Full (OverWrite).

WiiFlow gives me "app_entry not within the apploader area!".

Just did everything you suggested, still getting the same error. I'm going to try another SD card.

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having trouble here as well ): ....I am using a Dios Mios 2.6 Wad that I installed, USB Loader GX new version..... I am getting Wind Waker to show up in USB Loader GX....I cant for the life of me seem to get it to launch. It goes to a Dios Mios Gamecube logo screen which is spilt in half as if trying to run in 480p on a 480i tv, then the logo goes away and hangs out at a black screen that seems to have the same split down the middle....Can anyone please help me out? Thank you very much in advance to anyone that can hit me up and let me know what may be going on!

dustyjo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, okay, apparently it was the SD card the entire time. It seems to work perfectly now. Only problem is that this is a 4GB card, but eh. Thanks guys.

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just rechecked everything and cant come up with a reason to whats going on. I just tried CFG and when I launched Wind Waker it actually launched the game in my disc drive (Viewtiful Joe) instead? Any ideas and thank you in advance.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I just rechecked everything and cant come up with a reason to whats going on. I just tried CFG and when I launched Wind Waker it actually launched the game in my disc drive (Viewtiful Joe) instead? Any ideas and thank you in advance.
Yes. Try Devolution to see if there is an issue with the ISO.

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Try Devolution to see if there is an issue with the ISO.

OK im going insane myself here ) ; .....Can someone point me to the best tutorial to use. I will start from scratch and follow the steps since I cant seem to figure out whats going on with this. Thank you to anyone who can assist me on this!

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you its very much appreciated. I will take a look. I want to mention some things sir to make sure this isnt an issue. I checked my external HD, it comes up as FAT 32 on my computer in Windows 7. I have all my Wii backups in my wbfs folder. I updated to the latest USB GX loader and can see the gamecube backups fine. I installed the Dios Mios 2.6 wad, ran my iso through the utility that is given with the wad and sent it over to games folder on the root of the drive. This is a launch Wii still going super strong with Wiinja installed from back in the day. I can already read my backups of GC games through the disc drive but wanted to set this up to conserve my laser. Is anything I mentioned an issue so far? This is now like my third hour working on this to no success ) : .....I will take a look at the guide though but do you see any issues with what i mentioned? Also I pointed the path to GC games on USB loader GX and made sure GC games and Wii games are checked off. They show up on the list but I get the Dios Mios splash screen doubled when I launch a GC game....then it just hangs at like a very dark green screen with a black line going down the middle of the screen.

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok im pretty sure I ran it unmodified as well. I will try again in a minute. I also read Devolution cant work with a chip installed so that is why i am trying Dios Mios....I will try a totally unmodified iso right now. Thank you for th etime too bud its much appreciated, Ill brb.

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I just ran an unmodified Wind Waker, it asked if I wanted progressive scan etc, then checked for a memory card and it loaded viewtiful Joe which is the disc in my drive.....Any idea Im almost there lol (=

JoostineOnline i just formatted a 2 GB USB stick to fat 32/ with 32kb cluster and now the game just hangs at a black screen....

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok I just ran an unmodified Wind Waker, it asked if I wanted progressive scan etc, then checked for a memory card and it loaded viewtiful Joe which is the disc in my drive.....Any idea Im almost there lol (=

JoostineOnline i just formatted a 2 GB USB stick to fat 32/ with 32kb cluster and now the game just hangs at a black screen....
Did you put the Wind Waker disc in first? The first time you run it from any device, you need to verify it with the retail disc.

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you put the Wind Waker disc in first? The first time you run it from any device, you need to verify it with the retail disc.

Ya I ran it with the Wind Waker retail game I own as well as tried a different retail game I own since I ran out of ideas as to why it isnt working for me. No idea still bud. I mentioned the other game Viewtiful Joe would launch and not the backup I was trying to launch...Wind Waker. I even formatted a 2 GB Usb stick to Fat 32 / 32 cluster and still no go, I just get a black screen now.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Ya I ran it with the Wind Waker retail game I own as well as tried a different retail game I own since I ran out of ideas as to why it isnt working for me. No idea still bud. I mentioned the other game Viewtiful Joe would launch and not the backup I was trying to laung...Wind Waker. I even formatted a 2 GB Usb stick to Fat 32 / 32 cluster and still no go, I just get a black screen now.
Just to make sure, you followed these steps, in this order?
  1. Put the unmodified Wind Waker ISO in USB:/games/
  2. Inserted the retail copy of Wind Waker
  3. Ran the Devolution sample loader from the HBC
  4. Selected Wind Waker

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to make sure, you followed these steps, in this order?
  1. Put the unmodified Wind Waker ISO in USB:/games/
  2. Inserted the retail copy of Wind Waker
  3. Ran the Devolution sample loader from the HBC
  4. Selected Wind Waker

Right now I am trying DIOS MIOS as well/ I was trying Devolution for over an hour with no luck.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, okay, apparently it was the SD card the entire time. It seems to work perfectly now. Only problem is that this is a 4GB card, but eh. Thanks guys.
Glad to hear it. Dios Mios has some incompatibilities with certain SD/USB drives. I've never had issues though thankfully but if you want to upgrade without worrying too much about Dios Mios having issues I'd try to get a nice brand like Sandisk

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It goes to a Dios Mios Gamecube logo screen which is spilt in half as if trying to run in 480p on a 480i tv, then the logo goes away and hangs out at a black screen that seems to have the same split down the middle...

They show up on the list but I get the Dios Mios splash screen doubled when I launch a GC game....then it just hangs at like a very dark green screen with a black line going down the middle of the screen.
First, try downloading DM2.6 again (there were a second uploaded file, a user reported that it fixed his problem).

If still making green screen, it could be the video mode. in GX it should be set to "DML auto" (select video mode based on the game's region, and picture format based on Wii settings) and disable "DML Progressive Patch" (this one force 480p).
If it doesn't fix the green screen, then you can try to force a video mode yourself to see if it fix the split/dual screen problem.
Set "DML Video" to "loader setting", set "Video mode" (at the top of the individual game's setting) to "Force xxxx" (select one which match the game region).

Try another loader, like DMBooter.

Your FAT32 is the first partition on the drive, with 32k cluster?
if your other device hangs on blackscreen (before the splash screen) it's because it's not detected/mounted by DM.

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, try downloading DM2.6 again (there were a second uploaded file, a user reported that it fixed his problem).

If still making green screen, it could be the video mode. in GX it should be set to "DML auto" (select video mode based on the game's region, and picture format based on Wii settings) and disable "DML Progressive Patch" (this one force 480p).
If it doesn't fix the green screen, then you can try to force a video mode yourself to see if it fix the split/dual screen problem.
Set "DML Video" to "loader setting", set "Video mode" (at the top of the individual game's setting) to "Force xxxx" (select one which match the game region).

Try another loader, like DMBooter.

Your FAT32 is the first partition on the drive, with 32k cluster?
if your other device hangs on blackscreen (before the splash screen) it's because it's not detected/mounted by DM.

I am using a Fat32 external Seagate with all my Wii backups in a wbfs folder from way back in the day when I originally set this up. The GC backups I keep in the root of the drive in games folder how it says to have them. They all show up fine in the USB Loader GX menu. I can keep all my other backup files such as music etc this way and browse the HD on my pc so its not just for use with the wii which tells me its def a Fat 32 the way I formatted it long ago. Im not sure of the clusters as I set this up long ago. However I did take a brand new USB 2gb stick and formatted it to Fat32 with 32kb, and it still hangs on the black screen when I try and load a game. Is there any chance you can point me to where this new DIOS MIOS is located? Also I can not think of what the issue may honestly be as I am using unmodified iso, and even used the tool that came with it and it doesnt work. Im am restoring my NAND back to like 2 weeks ago and can start clean if you have any directions for me to follow, any help or insight you and anyone else has given me is much appreciated by the way.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's no need to restore a backup, you can reinstall over the old content.

You need:
DIOS MIOS v2.6 (the current link is the updated version)
BC v6 (if your wii is not up to date, you can download it from NUSD or with modmii, and install the wad with a wad manager). Having BC v4 can cause blackscreen in DM too.
latest loader (USBGX 1204 is fine)

Then, for your HDD, you can check if the cluster size is correct like that:
- connect your drive
- press Windows key+R
- type cmd and press enter. It will launch a command line window
- in that window, press the letter of your drive partition followed by :, for example "f:" or "g:" etc. and press enter
- type chkdsk and press enter
once completed, look at the third line from the bottom (32 768 byte in each allocation unit) 32 768 or less is fine, 65 536 is not working with DM. (it works with DML)

for your USB stick which gives black screen, is it before the DIOS MIOS splash screen or after?
If it's before, then it's DM's USB driver which is not compatible with your stick.

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no need to restore a backup, you can reinstall over the old content.

You need:
DIOS MIOS v2.6 (the current link is the updated version)
BC v6 (if your wii is not up to date, you can download it from NUSD or with modmii, and install the wad with a wad manager). Having BC v4 can cause blackscreen in DM too.
latest loader (USBGX 1204 is fine)

Then, for your HDD, you can check if the cluster size is correct like that:
- connect your drive
- press Windows key+R
- type cmd and press enter. It will launch a command line window
- in that window, press the letter of your drive partition followed by :, for example "f:" or "g:" etc. and press enter
- type chkdsk and press enter
once completed, look at the third line from the bottom (32 768 byte in each allocation unit) 32 768 or less is fine, 65 536 is not working with DM. (it works with DML)

for your USB stick which gives black screen, is it before the DIOS MIOS splash screen or after?
If it's before, then it's DM's USB driver which is not compatible with your stick.

Ok I did the cmd check for my drive. It is indeed 65,536 bytes in each allocation unit ....Is there anyway to change that to 32 without having to lose anything or back it up etc? By the way thank you for all this.

I read this ----> I use Acronis Disk Director 11 Advanced on three HDD to change it from 64KB to 32KB and I did not lose any data. (I ONLY RECOMMEND ACRONIS BECAUSE NO DATA LOSS) If you use any other HDD program you will have to backup everything before you change the cluster size.

Will I be ok you think to change it through that program as long as I just use this HD for backed up files, but do not actually use it to run programs off etc? Thanks again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy