Disgaea 5 PC delayed due to players unlocking the full game from the demo

IMG_7783.JPG

NIS America hasn't had an easy past few months. With the report of credit card data being hacked, or the translation mess of Ys VIII, people have been wary of the company lately. The issues continued when the Disgaea 5: Complete PC port demos went out. There were minor issues found, ranging from crashes to visual errors. But the worst problem of all was when a group of players used a hex editor to edit save files past the cutoff point of the demo, allowing access to the full game, and all of its DLC content. NIS America maintained that were was no such issue with the port, but when more and more people began to claim they had proceeded past Chapter 3, where the demo normally ends, NISA pulled the demo from all available sources, and then delayed the game from its original May 7 release to "Summer 2018".

As beta testing has been ongoing, we have been fixing bugs and issues as they were discovered. While working on corrections last night, we came across a new issue that requires additional attention that will take more time to resolve. Unfortunately, until this issue can be resolved, the release date will be postponed, and we are now targeting a release for Summer 2018. We offer our sincerest apologies to all who have been looking forward to this release of the game.

:arrow: Source

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wow, those devs are such lazy fuckers that they couldn't even be bothered to remove the main game assets?
So not only does it mean people get a free full game, but the file would be significantly bigger to download too...
Welcome to the age of (well outside this case apparently lol) "collect money yesterday, release now, test in the meanwhile, fix later if ever, exploit sheeple at ALL times"

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's looking like there might be some downloads available already. Even if it's just a demo, all you need is a save file to "crack" it. This is what anyone who preordered the game should do, instead of waiting at the very least another month to play a finished game that was delayed because of a problem with the fucking demo. Why delay the whole game and not de-list the demo?

D

Deleted User

*slowclap* You fucking retards. And since it's a free "Demo", anyone can pass it around without repercussions, while anyone and their grandmother can go find what bit to flip in a hex editor.

Last time I heard of something happening like this, was with Crash Bash, where the demo was the full game, and could be unlocked by a cheat, but at the very damn least, Crash Bash demo unlock cheat wasn't discovered for years afterwards!

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

NIS America maintained that were was no such issue with the port, but when more and more people began to claim they had proceeded past Chapter 3, where the demo normally ends, NISA pulled the demo from all available sources, and then delayed the game from its original May 7h release to "Summer 2018".

:arrow: Source

typo btw

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If it was hard to cut off content for the demo, then we have a case of bad software engineering. If not, then these devs are really lazy as hell. Either way this seems to be a case of "gotta rush out this product, what could go wrong?"

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
It's looking like there might be some downloads available already. Even if it's just a demo, all you need is a save file to "crack" it. This is what anyone who preordered the game should do, instead of waiting at the very least another month to play a finished game that was delayed because of a problem with the fucking demo. Why delay the whole game and not de-list the demo?

you technically also need a steam emulator lib of some kind since the demo uses steam drm

TheWolfLord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else feel like NIS is completely inept at this point?

YS VIII handling was a failure(Way more than just translation issues- That's just a lack of care and sincerity towards fans.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce something big like a new president or something like someone stepping down. They have truly been disgraceful this past year.

For a relatively important company in the industry, with great titles under their umbrella, the consistent missteps are not a good look.

Last edited by TheWolfLord,

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
And they assume customers who waited for the release and are now pissed that it's delayed, wouldn't pirate it to play when they originally wanted to.

Including yours truly

Also, does it still count as piracy if the game is not available through legitimate means?

Last edited by Naridar,

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Wouldn't the demo technically be a trial, since it's the full game? I sure hope somebody hosted the "Demo" somewhere for people to enjoy. :tpi:
nah, it stopped you at chapter 3, but devs actually included the whole game and locked you out of the rest

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think