Discussion with the Supercard Team

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2010
    • Administrator

Costello Headmaster

Message Count:
    I recently contacted the Supercard Team about possibly making a short documentary film on flashcart factories and the general supply chain. Unfortunately I won't be able to do anything like that since this whole 'industry' is too secretive and no one will let me get anywhere near the production line. However I may be able to meet up with a few guys including the #1 sales representative of the Supercard Team, aka. Romman.

A few interesting points came out of the e-mail discussions I've had with them to arrange this meeting, I thought I'd share those with you (with permission from the team, of course). Nothing major, but still worth a read...
    • First, and this is good news for all Supercard DSTWO owners, the Supercard Team is extremely confident that their cart will work on the Nintendo 3DS-- in DS mode, that is. They believe that even though the 3DS will feature new anti-piracy protection mechanisms, the possibilities offered by the SCDSTWO's embedded CPU will allow them to find a workaround quickly, just like they did for the recent DSi 1.4.1 fix.
    • I have asked them if they would work on a 3DS flashcart and 3DS hacking in general when the console would be available, and they said they would definitely do so. They'll be hard at work as soon as they can get their hands on a 3DS. I doubt however that the SCDSTWO itself will be able to play 3DS games, but that's just me.
    • The SC team has opened a special secret forum discussion for everyone that has been granted permission to get the SCDSTWO SDK (Software Development Kit). This will allow developers to help each other out with the SDK and hopefully allow us to see awesome homebrew in the future.
    • Renowned homebrew and emulator developer alekmaul has recently received the SDK along with a free flashcart sample, and he started porting his Dingoo emulators to the Supercard DSTWO. First of which, an Atari 7800 emulator which looks very promising judging by the screenshots posted in the secret SDK forum. We're looking forward to your amazing work, alekmaul!
    That's all for now, look out for more info in the next few weeks as I will be meeting members of the Supercard team in person!
    Costello

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Message Count:
    United States
    Well if they make it work I'm defiantly buying one [IMG]

TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

Message Count:
    United States
    Ask them if they'll make the Slot-2s open source. I'd like to expand on that platform.

RoMee ??

Message Count:
    United States
    I fine with the dstwo not being able to play 3DS games, as long as they release a cart that can

Black_Knight_666 New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    Thanks for the heads up Costello! They sure are confident that the scds2 will work on a 3ds! [IMG] Im not so sure though [IMG] Anyway, keep up the good work! [IMG]

Joe88 [λ̨̞̪͖̫̤̪̫̩̻̯̯̤͚̣͍̠̅͌ͧ͑ͤͫͧ͐̎̆̅̎́̀̚̕͟]

Message Count:
    United States
    confidence doesnt really mean anything

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm fine with DS2 running in DS mode only when used by 3DS. In fact I prefer they do it this way so we can have a specialize 3DS flashcart.

DigitalDeviant New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    can wait for the Super Card team to get a 3DS to tinker with.

how does the SC 3DS cart sound? ah not that exciting but hopefully we'll have one in short order.
    • Former Staff

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Message Count:
    Colombia
    thanks in part to costello, alek received the sdk and scds2. i contacted many other homebrew developers about porting stuff to the scds2 and only pate (dsx86) showed interest. thankfully, from the emails i've received, alek seems very interested in scds2 development. he also has a neo geo pocket color emu ready for the nds, which runs really slow. he hopes that porting it to the scds2 will fix that issue.

-another world

Gh0sti iOS Guru

Message Count:
    United States
    this is cool cannot wait to see it working on the 3DS, i would get a 3DS flash card when it gets hacked, also i hope more people jump on board with homebrew for this cart

goncalodoom New Member

Message Count:
    Portugal
    DSTWO is amazing,hope that 3ds gets hacked

Toader New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Time to get a SCDS2!! [IMG]

jeklnoo New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    3DS-mode flashcart? yeah right. They haven't even made a DSi-mode flashcart yet (that can play DSi-mode games, or DSi-ware), and that's been out for nearly two years.
    • Administrator

Costello Headmaster

Message Count:
    to be honest there isn't much point of having a DSi mode flashcart... considering the quality of DSi only titles...
    once again thats just my opinion. I don't even have a DSi lol, just sayin
    • Banned

Clookster Your Clookster

Message Count:
    Switzerland
    That's not correct, Costello! There are a lot of well made and good rated DSiWare titels.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/ds/

I paid more for DSiWare than for my DSi so far, and most of the time I didn't regret ist.

JinTrigger Mega Jin II

Message Count:
    United States
    I thought no one cared to hack the DSi mode for Costello's reason...I mean just because the DSiWares were good doesn't mean its worth hacking...I didn't get my Wii for the wiiware....now I bet if they had a virtual channel on the DSi that thing would have been cracked open so hard!!!

But if they can prove that the scds2 can work in 3DS then that'll be excellent news for me as I can sell my DSi and my DS phat...I hope they can prove this before it comes out in the US so those sells can go toward my 3DS
    • Former Staff

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Message Count:
    Colombia
    homebrew would benefit from a dsi mode flash kit, but sadly a larger percentage of users get flash kits for piracy not homebrew.

-another world
    chartube12 likes this.

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I think the supercard team knows a lot more about the DS/i's booting process than us, if they're saying they believe it will run on the 3DS because their cart can accurately fake all info requested of a normal cart (or can be updated for the gaps) then that explains it (and is reassuring, at least to me).

I don't believe there's any DSi-only titles worth developing a cart for, but the DSIware and homebrew would seem promising... though now that the 3DS is coming soon flash cart makers may be pooling their resources to prepare for that instead of developing a DSi cart.

I suggest potential developers check his DS2x86 update posts out, they really give a view of what's different about programming for it rather than the DS at a low level.

Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Message Count:
    Antarctica
    Only speculation in there. Let's wait the release of the 3DS before. [IMG]

About the dstwo sdk, i was almost sure it will never reach the public release. Now i'm sure. [IMG]

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Yay, pretty cool [IMG]
    Just too bad you can't get into their company to take a look..

And pretty awesome that the Supercard will prolly still be working as a DS flashcart!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.