OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Howdy all.

So I was just playing some games 10-20 minutes ago, and all of the sudden my PC just straight turned off. I thought maybe my CPU overheated or something so I let it sit for a bit, and when I turned it back on the power LED comes on but nothing else powers up. CPU fan doesn't spin, GPU fan doesn't spin, Motherboard LED doesn't come on, HDDs don't spin up or anything.

I assume it's a problem with the PSU, but I don't have time at this current moment in time to try it with another motherboard to make sure.

Took out my GPU/RAM, replaced RAM one at a time and tried booting and still nothing.

So am I right in assuming it's the PSU?

D

Dork

I would assume so, yes. If nothing is running at all and you can't get any image to appear on the monitor, the PSU seems like it can't get enough juice to the rest of the system. This would be a lot easier if you had a spare PSU to test with.

Does the PSU make any strange noises or act off to you?

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Howdy all.

So I was just playing some games 10-20 minutes ago, and all of the sudden my PC just straight turned off. I thought maybe my CPU overheated or something so I let it sit for a bit, and when I turned it back on the power LED comes on but nothing else powers up. CPU fan doesn't spin, GPU fan doesn't spin, Motherboard LED doesn't come on, HDDs don't spin up or anything.

I assume it's a problem with the PSU, but I don't have time at this current moment in time to try it with another motherboard to make sure.

Took out my GPU/RAM, replaced RAM one at a time and tried booting and still nothing.

So am I right in assuming it's the PSU?

As a computer technician, I can tell you the first step to troubleshooting this after removing all the ram etc, would definately be to try a different PSU. Its likely to blame for your issues. If that doesn't resolve your issue then its possible your CPU and/or Motherboard is toast. Do you use this computer primarily for gaming?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I would assume so, yes. If nothing is running at all and you can't get any image to appear on the monitor, the PSU seems like it can't get enough juice to the rest of the system. This would be a lot easier if you had a spare PSU to test with.

Does the PSU make any strange noises or act off to you?

Nope, no strange noises or anything both when it crashed nor when I turn it on. I do have some spare PSUs in some old desktops, I'll have to test one of them when I get home from work to make sure.

EDIT:

As a computer technician, I can tell you the first step to troubleshooting this after removing all the ram etc, would definately be to try a different PSU. Its likely to blame for your issues. If that doesn't resolve your issue then its possible your CPU and/or Motherboard is toast. Do you use this computer primarily for gaming?

Yep, this is my gaming rig. The PSU currently in it is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Bought it...I think a year or so ago.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, no strange noises or anything both when it crashed nor when I turn it on. I do have some spare PSUs in some old desktops, I'll have to test one of them when I get home from work to make sure.

EDIT:

Yep, this is my gaming rig. The PSU currently in it is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Bought it...I think a year or so ago.

ya gaming rigs tend to not last all too long XD. but in all seriousness your PSU should've been sufficient for a gaming rig, but perhaps if you end up replacing it, it would be wiser to go with a 600 or 750 Watt.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ya gaming rigs tend to not last all too long XD. but in all seriousness your PSU should've been sufficient for a gaming rig, but perhaps if you end up replacing it, it would be wiser to go with a 600 or 750 Watt.

Um, i had mine sine 2010 and its still alive and kicking. Sorry for hijacking this thread but i just wanted to say that

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Actually most rigs last quite a while >.> Generally the first to go are hard drives or CD/DVD drives, then motherboard failure (with caps bursting and such), then fans, etc etc.

But yeah, once I get home I'll have to test it with another PSU to see if it boots, just wanted to confirm my suspicions...

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually most rigs last quite a while >.> Generally the first to go are hard drives or CD/DVD drives, then motherboard failure (with caps bursting and such), then fans, etc etc.

But yeah, once I get home I'll have to test it with another PSU to see if it boots, just wanted to confirm my suspicions...

Okay good luck. Hopefully its just the PSU.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It would be great help if you told us what motherboard you have and what signal is the PC speaker giving you, if any - it's a great report tool that most users these days completely ignore.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
No beep codes or anything, that would've been the very first thing I checked instead of making a thread :lol: Also has an LED built-in to the motherboard that would give a code as well, but as I said in the OP that doesn't even turn on either. Nothing spins up or anything, only the power LED comes on...as said in the OP

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138351 < But this is the motherboard I have right now.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you reset your PSU? Unplug, flip on off (if you have a rocker switch on it.) Then try to turn the computer on. Plug it back in and try again.

Its possible the PSU could've been switched to the european voltage setting (or vice versa, depending on where you live). If you have kids in the house, that might be the reason lol.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Also want to add that a faulty PSU could screw other components as well. So something in your PC might already break.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No beep codes = either the CPU not being recognized from the motherboard OR the chipset is toast.

Might be the PSU in case you lost just one of the rails, but I highly doubt it.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
When there's no fans spinning up, it's usually either the PSU (failing to send the PowerOK signal to the motherboard for whatever reason) or the motherboard (power phasing, blown caps, or rarely dead BIOS). Or the cables.

Quickest thing to test (just to rule it out) is the cable - find another cable and plug it in. Also find another port to plug it into.
There are a couple ways to test the PSU, but the best way is using a PSU tester (they're pretty cheap on Amazon).
I don't know of any good ways to test the motherboard. Too many parts of a motherboard that can fail for different reasons.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-