6x9=42
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I need some information about the various custom firmwares. Currently I'm running 5.50 Prom-4 and it mostly covers my needs. I've been looking at an update, but I'm wary of it as I was not the one who initially cracked my PSP, and I have very little idea of what I'm doing with the newer CFWs and how they apply to my hardware.

I have a PSP 1000, for starters. I'm looking at 6.20 TN-D for it's permanent option, but I need to know a few things. I don't really use homebrew on my PSP, so homebrew compatibility is not an issue for me.

1.Does it have the same level of PSX game and PSP Iso compatibility as 5.50 prom-4?

2.Can it run current UMDs such as Dissidia 012 like 5.50 prom-4? I own both Dissidia 012 and Third Birthday and both run flawlessly under 5.50 prom-4. I don't have a large memory card and don't want to lose the ability to run them off the UMD.

3.Do I need a Pandora battery and what are the risks of trying to move from 5.50 prom-4 to 6.20 TN-D?

4.Alternately, how does 6.35 Pro-B3 compare and is it a permanent CFW on a PSP 1000?

5.Anything else important I should know?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would do better staying on what cfw you're on now but to answer you questions.

1. Yes

2. Yes, but I think you need to rip it to your memory stick for the game to work.

3. You may need one, just in case as the permanent patch is not really safe.

4. Not really much of a difference as far as I know.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I understand that many people think that 5.50 prom-4 is currently among the best CFW because of its wide compatibility and high stability.

My issue is that I review games, and the ability to play the latest UMDs or backups of them is quite important, as is the ability to play DLC I've bought. I've been told that 6.20 TN-D is compatible with bought DLC where 5.50 prom-4 works sporadically with only some of them.

Edit: Would a Pandora Battery be required to use the normal non-permanent 6.20 TN-D? If it's worth the upgrade, I think I could deal with managing the non-permanent one.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I don't buy dlc really, so I don't know about compatibly between the two.

Leamonde.Halcyon said:
I understand that many people think that 5.50 prom-4 is currently among the best CFW because of its wide compatibility and high stability.

My issue is that I review games, and the ability to play the latest UMDs or backups of them is quite important, as is the ability to play DLC I've bought. I've been told that 6.20 TN-D is compatible with bought DLC where 5.50 prom-4 works sporadically with only some of them.

Edit: Would a Pandora Battery be required to use the normal non-permanent 6.20 TN-D? If it's worth the upgrade, I think I could deal with managing the non-permanent one.

Nope, you don't need one for the non permanent. It doesn't touch the flash like the permanent.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm liking the sound of 6.20 TN-D. Just a couple more questions.

1.Does anyone know if it can run the games straight off of UMDs?

2.Should the psp crash/battery die/need to be restarted, is the install process long and complicated or short and simple?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leamonde.Halcyon said:
Ok, I'm liking the sound of 6.20 TN-D. Just a couple more questions.

1.Does anyone know if it can run the games straight off of UMDs?

2.Should the psp crash/battery die/need to be restarted, is the install process long and complicated or short and simple?
6.20 isn't a install, you have to start it every time you fully turn off your psp. Unless you use the permanent patch.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not an install? I admit I'm confused. I've only ever used 5.50 Gen and Prom. How exactly does the 6.20 TN-D work then? It's installed and you have to select or start it when you restart the psp?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leamonde.Halcyon said:
Not an install? I admit I'm confused. I've only ever used 5.50 Gen and Prom. How exactly does the 6.20 TN-D work then? It's installed and you have to select or start it when you restart the psp?
It's like starting a app. You have to start the cfw for it to be installed. The difference is that it's stored in the ram, so when ever you fully turn off your psp, it goes back to the ofw. While as gen and prom are in the flash, so they are permanent.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, ok then I see. Thanks for all the info. I think I'll be updating very shortly then
smile.gif

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
TN-D is older. 6.20 PRO-B4 just came out yesterday, and it's got a permanent option, as well as higher compatibility because of it's new ISO driver (Inferno).
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one .

You'll wanna use pro b instead. It's better than TN-D with what Rydian said.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually ended up with 6.35 pro-b4 non permanent. I don't have a pandora battery, so I don't want to risk something that carries a significant chance of bricking. I'm quite pleased with 6.35 pro-b4 though. Restarting the firmware after a system restart just isn't that bothersome.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
PSX compatibility will suffer though, compared to your previous firmware....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I went to the drive thru lady hands me me receipt go up to the 2nd window same lady hands me my...