lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just brought a Corsair 4096MB TwinX XMS2 6400 DDR2 Memory Kit (2 x 2048MB) x2 8GB for my ASUS Striker Extreme motherboard and they work fine support up to 8gb.

memcortx40e64.jpg

- 800MHz DDR2
- CL 5-5-5-18
- 1.8 V

sadly I saw this:
OCZ 8GB (4x2GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel Platinum Low Latency XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P8008GQ)

MY-108-OC_200.jpg

- 800MHz DDR2
- CL 5-4-4-18 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
- 2.1-2.2 Volts
- 2.2V EVP**

The OCZ CAS Latency seen better then my Corsair XMS2 - I need help

1.Will this memory OCZ2P8008GQ work with the ASUS Striker Extreme motherboard?
2.Dose Corsair XMS2 run better then OCZ 8GB?
3.Should I return those Corsair XMS2 8gb for OCZ 8GB?
4.Could I able to timings the Corsair XMS2 to get better CAS Latency then OCZ 8GB?
5.Thank

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine they will run very similiar. If you can return them with minimal hassle, and the OCZ stuff is the same price or cheaper, then go for it. As for 4, I'm pretty sure its highly recommended to stick to the timings that are advertised, I havent heard of anybody eve running their RAM with timings that it doesnt support, but then again I'm not hardcore into the overclocking scene either. I'd say you'd probably run a high risk of damaging the RAM, or running very unstable RAM at the least. I'd hit a site like newegg or comparable and see what people have to say about these two brands, I personally see both of them on sale -all- the time, so they must sell quite a bit.

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the price is the same, I would probably switch. But if it's cheaper than the Corsair XMS2, go for it. However, keep in mind the quality of Corsair products versus OCZ.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you have XP you won't be able to use this much, XP doesn't see 4GB and beyond.

I would stick with it, the difference is minimal and the hassle of returning isn't worth it.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank for replying.

Kyoji said:
I'd imagine they will run very similiar. If you can return them with minimal hassle, and the OCZ stuff is the same price or cheaper, then go for it. As for 4, I'm pretty sure its highly recommended to stick to the timings that are advertised, I havent heard of anybody eve running their RAM with timings that it doesnt support, but then again I'm not hardcore into the overclocking scene either. I'd say you'd probably run a high risk of damaging the RAM, or running very unstable RAM at the least. I'd hit a site like newegg or comparable and see what people have to say about these two brands, I personally see both of them on sale -all- the time, so they must sell quite a bit.

I has the same thought, they seem to run very similar - I able to find few site about Corsair they are good to timings and very stable on most motherboards.
The OCZ 8GB Quad Channel Platinum Low Latency XTC Series are pretty new released, they are fine company and produced quality DDR, PSUs , etc... but I can't find info on these rams if it compatible my Striker Extreme motherboard up to 8gb?
(that the most imported first..)

ZeWarriorReturns said:
Umm.. if I may ask, why would you need 8GB of RAM?

Reason I'm running window vista 64bit version for gaming, video coding, a lot of multi appreciation as the same time.
specially firefox rams killer and probably I don't need to upgrade another few year finding the right compatible rams
and personally it a waste of rams slots for 1gb of ram per slot. my striker extreme motherboard can supported 8gb.. why not?
rolleyes.gif

MystikEkoez said:
If the price is the same, I would probably switch. But if it's cheaper than the Corsair XMS2, go for it. However, keep in mind the quality of Corsair products versus OCZ.

The OCZ cheaper by 0.30p lol

QUOTE(legendofphil @ Mar 16 2008, 11:32 AM) If you have XP you won't be able to use this much, XP doesn't see 4GB and beyond.

I would stick with it, the difference is minimal and the hassle of returning isn't worth it.

I running vista 64bit, the Corsair I just brought are not supported for 32bit windows
yea ...it a bit of hassle of returning...I just need to find out the result of timings those ram then
probably - stick with it... if it turned out all good..

QUOTE(Flozem @ Mar 16 2008, 11:35 AM)
XP 32bit doesn't even support over 3GB
tongue.gif

I have 4GB in my pc, but only vista uses the full 4GB.

I have seen someone able get it up to 4gb on XP on 32bit..

there are 2 type of vista 32bit and 64bit

the vista 32bit support max of 4gb or *6gb with *bugs fixed
the vista 64bit can support up to 8gb +

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
stick with the corsair. the ocz stuff may have the smallest bit better latency but that dosent really effect your performance when you have 8GB of the stuff.
the ocz stuff runs very high on voltage.. doesnt last as long as the corsair.

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All OCZ memory comes with lifetime warranty, so as long as he doesn't push the voltage over 2.2v he can just send it back if it dies. In my recent build I had considered buying that OCZ memory, but in the end decided to buy two sets of "OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz SLI-Ready Edition Low Latency Dual Channel DDR2" to give me 8gig, which worked out at about £10 more but is a bit faster.

If you do decide to send it back and you bought the memory online (assuming that you are in the UK) then you can send it back within 7 days using Distance Selling Regulations and the only thing you will have to pay is postage. After that it is down to the stores discretion. The only thing that the stores can ask is that you provide ALL original packaging, although they can't really complain about the actual condition. I recently sent back some other RAM due to the stupidly sized cooling making it impossible to fit and the RAM was pretty scratched up (I tried making it fit
ph34r.gif
) and they accepted it without any complaints.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
THANK FOR REPLY
grog.gif

mojoex said:
stick with the corsair. the ocz stuff may have the smallest bit better latency but that dosent really effect your performance when you have 8GB of the stuff.
the ocz stuff runs very high on voltage.. doesnt last as long as the corsair.

I did some search and read some reviews, the Crucial 4gb Rams rated to 4-4-4-12 versus Corsair 4gb 5-5-5-18. the compare hardly different just by 0.3% (here) and it cheaper.

I agree about high voltage on some rams which cause over heat and crash.
The corsair I got used 1.9v which is pretty good...

QUOTE(Javacat @ Mar 17 2008, 10:37 PM) All OCZ memory comes with lifetime warranty, so as long as he doesn't push the voltage over 2.2v he can just send it back if it dies. In my recent build I had considered buying that OCZ memory, but in the end decided to buy two sets of "OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz SLI-Ready Edition Low Latency Dual Channel DDR2" to give me 8gig, which worked out at about £10 more but is a bit faster.

If you do decide to send it back and you bought the memory online (assuming that you are in the UK) then you can send it back within 7 days using Distance Selling Regulations and the only thing you will have to pay is postage. After that it is down to the stores discretion. The only thing that the stores can ask is that you provide ALL original packaging, although they can't really complain about the actual condition. I recently sent back some other RAM due to the stupidly sized cooling making it impossible to fit and the RAM was pretty scratched up (I tried making it fit
ph34r.gif
) and they accepted it without any complaints.

Corsair also have lifetime warranty, most brand have lifetime warranty.

if i send it back it'll cost me postage few pounds for OCZ - and compare CL 5-4-4-18 and CL 5-5-5-18 seem hardly noting (review above)
next time I should spend more time searching for better rams and price.

those both company brand are recommended and I'm satisfied -

---------------------------------------
for people don't understand why 8gb Of Rams?

So far it only support 64-bit version of Vista is designed to use memory more dynamically, so if you have 8GB of memory it'll simply throw more into it to take even less weight off the need to access the hard drive and pagefile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum